Automotive

Buying a manual transmission car to learn manual?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 9:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4426 posts
2929 upvotes

Buying a manual transmission car to learn manual?

What do you think about buying some cheap winter beater for $500 to learn how to drive manual? After when finished can still scrap the car for 200 to 300?
So basically 300 to 200 cost? Good or bad idea opposed to renting?
50 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1137 posts
1472 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Dude do yourself and us a favor and hire a driving instructor with a manual car. $30 an hour for 3 days...thats less than $100. Safety first.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6557 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote: Dude do yourself and us a favor and hire a driving instructor with a manual car. $30 an hour for 3 days...thats less than $100. Safety first.
I dunno if Quebec is cheaper, but in cotu driving instructor costs $60+/hr. Perhaps little more because rarity and fear of some noob grinding your gears too.

Buying a manual beater is a good idea but I bet you, you will post more help broken xxxx on my beater.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22239 posts
2900 upvotes
Buy a used beater and learn
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37380 posts
23445 upvotes
Center of Universe
Call a friend...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4426 posts
2929 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Call a friend...
Won't be a friend after grinding gears or burning the clutch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9810 posts
7600 upvotes
Kootenays
cristianosham wrote: Won't be a friend after grinding gears or burning the clutch.
It's really not that difficult to learn. It's just a matter of finding the friction point, the place the pedal starts to grab. This varies from car to car. You shouldn't hurt your friend's vehicle if you take it easy and are the least bit coordinated. Can you even rent a manual car these days?
Apr 28, 2013
320 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
Not worth the trouble. Just buy the car you want and learn in it. You are not going to put any significant wear on the clutch from a couple days of inexperienced driving.

Unless you are totally incompetent and slip the clutch while revving the piss out of the engine for 30 seconds your are not going to burn up the clutch.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6557 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
One of my friend lied to me when driving my manual car. Told him to remove foot from the clutch and asswiper been riding the clutch all the time we went for cruise.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17500 posts
12232 upvotes
Markham
Buying a beater is a good idea IMO....it takes time to learn how to drive manual competently (traffic, hills, winter, emergency stops etc) and a driving instructor costs will quickly add up for the amount of time you really need and they're not likely to let you experience things everything.

FYI Not only do you have to buy the car, you have to pass safety and also pay tax and insurance.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4083 posts
2864 upvotes
Montreal
With prior driving experience, you don't even need a beater car, just buy the one you want (assuming that's your eventual goal).

When I bought my TJ I've never driven manual before, got a friend to show me for an hour in his YJ the night before I picked up mine, went to dealership next day and drove it home. Later I taught someone else and he picked it up in less than an hour too.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1245 posts
782 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
When I bought my first new vehicle I had no previous experience driving a manual. Heck, I even had the sales manager (friend of the family) drive it over to my house. Many years later when I sold that vehicle it had 180K on the clock and was still riding on the original clutch.

Don't waste your time and money on a beater.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2531 posts
1447 upvotes
Ontario
Just buy the car and practice.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Jul 29, 2019
808 posts
668 upvotes
Just buy Euro Truck Simulator 2 and buy a shifter and learn to shift that way. Will cost you less than $500 if you already have a PC that can run it.

Benefits:
  • No insurance costs.
  • No costs and time related to trying to buy a car and scrap it.
  • You can spend time practicing how long and whenever you want.
  • No costs related to not shifting properly when you make mistakes.
  • If you don't like shifting, you didn't waste a lot of money.
Last edited by VanillaDonut on Jul 14th, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2008
296 posts
233 upvotes
Mississauga
Just buy the car u really want and practice with it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55995 posts
20905 upvotes
You are man enough not to pretend to ask on behalf of a friend Cristian.

My hat off to you.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jul 15th, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4426 posts
2929 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: You are man enough not to pretend to ask on behalf of a friend Christian.

My hat off to you.
When you read enough of those I am asking for a friend, my friend did this, or my relative, song and dance. You know it is the OP is trying to BS people on rfd.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
I'm not against buying a beater to learn, just make sure the beater doesn't have a totally worn transmission/clutch, which may be difficult for you to notice as a learner. Effectively bring someone who can drive a manual to the test drive at a bare minimum. One of my colleagues had me do this for her and found that the Corolla we were looking at had something totally off about its gearbox as I struggled to get it into 2nd.

In fact this is sort of the route I took to learn how to drive a manual. I bought my 2004 Subaru Impreza for a few reasons, I needed a vehicle that wasn't going to sink a ton of money into repairs, I haven't driven a Subaru yet, but the big one was I wanted to daily drive a manual as I've only driven autos at this point. The car was approaching beater value, but definitely was in good shape. Of course I found out that older Subarus are not the easiest to start out learning as that clutch pedal was more of a on off switch, but it definitely forced me to get good faster. Thus I do have some respect for the EJ25 engine and the Subaru 5MT transmission for tolerating my learner's abuse and shrugging it off.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55995 posts
20905 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: When you read enough of those I am asking for a friend, my friend did this, or my relative, song and dance. You know it is the OP is trying to BS people on rfd.
Don't forget those newbies with one post.

My cousin learned to drive stick on his new Impreza lol.

I learned on my Dad's 79 Opel Record.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
Go to a car dealership and test drive a manual car, most salesmen I have dealt with are quite patient.
One taught me the basics of how to drive manual in a few minutes, even though I was clearly not going to buy a $30k new sports car when i was 17.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)