Shopping Discussion

Buying Mattresses From The Bay

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 2:56 pm
[OP]
Oct 13, 2019
1 posts

Buying Mattresses From The Bay

Hey looking at a Hotel Collection mattress from the bay.

Anyone have any experience with these mattresses? Can i negotiate on the price or are they firm?

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
1671 posts
2379 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I haven't bought a mattress set from Hudson's Bay since they addopted their new "not 70-80% off" pricing model.

I believe there are firm unless you can time your purchase to sales, usually weekends, or sekect Tuesdays if your a Senior.

Are you a Hudson's Bay Mastercard Cardmember? If not signup?

Until Sunday it's their "Give & Get" promotion where you save an addional 10% off.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15459 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
From a Store perspective ...
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a mattress from The Bay
Now that Sears are no more
(Sears used to be the hands down winner overall for Customer Service, Price, Warranty, Delivery etc)

The only other store I would buy a mattress from now is Costco
Again cuz of the great Customer Service, Price, Warranty, Delivery, etc

BUT the downside to Costco is there is less choices ... could matter if you want something specific

The upshot though is Costco Buyers tend to do their homework and just carry quality items
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3749 posts
3154 upvotes
We haven't purchased a Hotel Collection mattress, but we have purchased a great deal of Hotel Collection linens and it has always proven to be a high quality brand. We have a Marshall mattress from The Bay and we are really pleased with it. We've had it now for almost four years and there is no sign of wear whatsoever. We bought a mattress that we can flip. It's a traditional firm mattress - not extra thick and a tight top without a pillow top.

I would definitely buy a Marshall mattress again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
Fenix84 wrote: Hey looking at a Hotel Collection mattress from the bay.

Anyone have any experience with these mattresses? Can i negotiate on the price or are they firm?

Thanks
Friendly advice. Mattress sales are right up there with used cars, dealerships, lawyers and insurance. Do your research. Its very difficult comparing different mattresses because they change the names for each supplier. What ever you buy make sure you get a 30 or 60 day exchange policy in case the mattress you pick is not right for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1420 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
Bought a mattress in June and was non negotiable even tried different Bay locations and different reps.

Went to The Brick and they still negotiate but prices were inflated and they couldn’t match The Bay’s sale prices.

Bought another mattress years ago at The Bay and was able to negotiate at the Bay. Guess they did change the policy on it.

I do notice the prices aren’t as inflated in the non negotiation model but will have to look for sales.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15459 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bst wrote: Bought a mattress in June and was non negotiable even tried different Bay locations and different reps.

Went to The Brick and they still negotiate but prices were inflated and they couldn’t match The Bay’s sale prices.

Bought another mattress years ago at The Bay and was able to negotiate at the Bay. Guess they did change the policy on it.

I do notice the prices aren’t as inflated in the non negotiation model but will have to look for sales.
Ya ... Bay Sales are decent

No matter where you shop ...NEVER PAY FULL PRICE for a mattress
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1420 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Ya ... Bay Sales are decent

No matter where you shop ...NEVER PAY FULL PRICE for a mattress
Had this in mind with the Bay that even their sales price I thought were "full price" - but nobody would negotiate.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15459 posts
12654 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bst wrote: Had this in mind with the Bay that even their sales price I thought were "full price" - but nobody would negotiate.
Mattresses are a bit of a racket.

Everyone sells stuff the same, but you cannot get a true comparison because most retailers have ones made specifically for their store ... so the EXACT same mattress might have white cover in one store and be called “Cloud” ... have a pink cover in a second and be called “Princess” ... and a blue cover in a third and be called “Sapphire” ... there’s no way to know, or really compare

I said I would buy at The Bay or Costco cuz of the BIG 4 ... Customer Service, Price, Warranty, and Delivery
There also might be some furniture chains ... or family run local furniture stores I might buy from

BUT ... I WOULD NEVER BUY from The Brick or any Mattress Chain ... too many headaches & horror stories
You can find plenty of them here on RFD or by GOOGLE

Remember ... some times a HOT DEAL isn’t a hot deal at all ... it’s a HOT MESS
A bargain ain’t a bargain if it ends up costing you in time, money & frustration
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3749 posts
3154 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Mattresses are a bit of a racket.

Everyone sells stuff the same, but you cannot get a true comparison because most retailers have ones made specifically for their store ... so the EXACT same mattress might have white cover in one store and be called “Cloud” ... have a pink cover in a second and be called “Princess” ... and a blue cover in a third and be called “Sapphire” ... there’s no way to know, or really compare

I said I would buy at The Bay or Costco cuz of the BIG 4 ... Customer Service, Price, Warranty, and Delivery
There also might be some furniture chains ... or family run local furniture stores I might buy from

BUT ... I WOULD NEVER BUY from The Brick or any Mattress Chain ... too many headaches & horror stories
You can find plenty of them here on RFD or by GOOGLE

Remember ... some times a HOT DEAL isn’t a hot deal at all ... it’s a HOT MESS
A bargain ain’t a bargain if it ends up costing you in time, money & frustration
So true about everyone selling the same stuff but each store having models made specially for them. When I was shopping for the Marshall mattress, a small independent furniture store in Kingston had it for a lower price than The Bay. The Bay then would price match only on identical models, but the Marshall models at The Bay are made only for The Bay. I was fortunate that I had previously worked at The Bay so was on great terms with the manager and able to get a further discount (equivalent to the employee discount). I didn't want to drive to Kingston to save a couple of hundred bucks on the off chance that after purchasing it I wasn't happy and would have the hassle of returning it. I would though encourage anyone looking to shop to smaller independents as the pricing can be surprising.