Automotive

Help with new Buick pricing

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 11:39 am
Sep 13, 2020
1 posts

Help with new Buick pricing

Did anyone buy a new car recently?
Costco just launched their auto program again, we went to 2 GM dealers to check on the Buick Encore GX, the price they gave us (about 3.6% off the MSRP) and no room to negotiate even just a little bit. I was a little shocked, so that's how it works these days, no-haggle pricing? Thank you for your inputs.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
There is also the Conquest discount of $500 (if it's your first time going into the brand) + $500 Costco rewards + your 3.6% off MSRP.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
The Encore GX is a brand new model. Not surprised there hasn't been much wiggle room.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
It has been panned by the automotive press no?
Here's a mild one from C&D:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a3 ... e-numbers/

3-cyl engine (penny pinch much, GM?), slow as molasses, and not cheap either. Strangely there are two engines yet both of them are 3cyl and they're not much different in power anyway. While on the one hand it's impressive they get 155hp out of a 1.3L 3cyl turbo engine these days, but not so impressive is the vehicle overall, esp. not at the price.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
Surprised Buick is still around. Rarely see any new models on the road.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: Seeing this was kind of a trip. I kind of forgot people actually still buy Buicks.
Not the most popular brand out there but in US still sells more than a lot of brands including Acura, Chrysler (as a make not manufacturer), Mitsubishi, Cadillac, Volvo, Infiniti...to name a few. Similar sales numbers to Audi, Tesla, while being a good bit under Mazda.

Things stack up a bit differently in Canada with brands like Audi being a good bit ahead of Buick, and Acura having similar numbers; but, Canadian market doesn't mean anything anyway. If we don't count 2020 (for what should be obvious reasons), Buick sells about 200,000 vehicles in US per year for the past 5-6 years. Buick sales alone in the US, number just about as many as all GM-brand sales in Canada for a year.

Again not the most prominent or popular brand out there, but basically middle of the pack in the overall picture.

In Canada, Buick is fairly even with Acura for sales if that paints a better picture. In fact in 2020 it looks like Buick may have sold significantly more than Acura, but not really counting this year due to it not being a normal market.

Source for all this is google search and going through a bunch of stats on https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
------------
Last edited by drz400 on Nov 25th, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4373 posts
6939 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: Seeing this was kind of a trip. I kind of forgot people actually still buy Buicks.
Buick is extremely popular in China. Nothing special out here though.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: It has been panned by the automotive press no?
Here's a mild one from C&D:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a3 ... e-numbers/

3-cyl engine (penny pinch much, GM?), slow as molasses, and not cheap either. Strangely there are two engines yet both of them are 3cyl and they're not much different in power anyway. While on the one hand it's impressive they get 155hp out of a 1.3L 3cyl turbo engine these days, but not so impressive is the vehicle overall, esp. not at the price.
I can understand a 3 cyl if they're going after the fuel economy angle, but here it's not even that. I know they are not in the same price category, but reminds me of the Nissan Kicks and Ford EcoSport, smaller CUVs with underpowered engines (basically a hatchback on stilts) - people seem to love these for some reason.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
I was somewhat interested in the most recent Regal GS model but since Buick made the decision to drop all car models after 2020, I don’t really care for them anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Buick sells roughly 20,000 vehicles a year in Canada and 200,000 in the US. The brand is still around because of its popularity in China but it struggles to fit in GM's lineup here. As Chevrolet's Premier trims get really close to Buick caliber, Buick's raison d'etre is pretty much gone. Once upon a time, GM's plan was to move Pontiac up to compete with BMW (I know...), Buick to compete with Lexus, Cadillac to compete with MB and other true luxury marques, and Chevrolet to compete with Toyota, Ford, et al with GMC basically being a trim level of Chevrolet trucks. The 2008 financial crisis killed that vision and since then - especially with the market's surge toward crossovers - GM has struggled to find the right niche for Buick.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
toguy wrote: I can understand a 3 cyl if they're going after the fuel economy angle, but here it's not even that. I know they are not in the same price category, but reminds me of the Nissan Kicks and Ford EcoSport, smaller CUVs with underpowered engines (basically a hatchback on stilts) - people seem to love these for some reason.
What category is this GX in anyway? C&D seems to think it's above the "regular" (non-GX) Encore, which is a different vehicle, while still being below the CR-V, Escape, etc.? How is that even possible? Are there so many cute-utes now there are like two classes of them before we get to a small CUV? Crazy. Soo Buick has got Encore, Encore GX, Enclave, Enclave Avenir, it looks like. Well they got the alliteration down I guess. And the thing is this is not even just their "ute" lineup--it's their entire lineup. Looks like Regal, Verano, La Crosse/Allure, and Cascada (never sold here), all axed. Some of these were only around a few years in their last gen too. I guess cars really have gone out of fashion :shrug:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Cute utes? I like that label!

I guess the PT Cruiser was years ahead of its time.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
mrweather wrote: Cute utes? I like that label!

I guess the PT Cruiser was years ahead of its time.
Eh, as much I don't like the PT as a car, its too short in seat height and too practical to be like these tiny CUVs. As I noted in the last PT thread, the tail gate area in the PT is actually cavernous and its giant rear windscreen actually allows you to see clearly out of it. The shaping of the rear of the PT is more wagon than hatchback. Its kind of sad that a car influenced by the 1930s design uses space more smartly than CUVs do in 2020.

Literally if the PT didn't have such a ugly front and wasn't a Chrysler, it would actually be a pretty good car. Its however now effectively replaced by the likes of the Kia Soul, Kia wisely is marketing that as a CUV and purposely increased the seat height in it.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Cute utes? I like that label!
Well they gotta be called something 'cause they're not CUVs and sure as heck aren't SUVs. They're just subcompact cars with jacked up suspension/ride height that sell for more, are sometimes equipped with AWD, and aren't really very "utility" at all, they're just so someone can say they "didn't buy a car" and pretend it's an "SUV" lol.

So the only names left are cute-ute and wannabe-SUV ;)
mrweather wrote: I guess the PT Cruiser was years ahead of its time.
Nah that was actually useful, even if a lot of people didn't like it or the styling, it wasn't that bad. These cute-utes are vehicles that are often smaller than small sedans but pretend to be bigger, mainly based on styling, marketing, and ride height. The PT didn't really pretend to be an "SUV" by simply being a Neon with higher ride height. I mean it may well have been higher than a Neon but it was more like a wagon version of it than a wannabe-SUV.

Speaking of ahead of time... I remember back in like 2017 a girl I worked with for a short time had a Fiat 500L she used to call an "SUV" lol. I never bothered telling her "you don't have an SUV" but also never thought everyone and their grandma would start calling small to mini vehicles "SUVs" based on marketing and slightly higher ride height, but here we are.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
ES_Revenge wrote: Speaking of ahead of time... I remember back in like 2017 a girl I worked with for a short time had a Fiat 500L she used to call an "SUV" lol. I never bothered telling her "you don't have an SUV" but also never thought everyone and their grandma would start calling small to mini vehicles "SUVs" based on marketing and slightly higher ride height, but here we are.
The irony is if she goes to Europe, they'd call it an MPV...effectively a minivan lol.
- Jegan V

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)