Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2666 posts
287 upvotes

Buying a phone off Kijiji

My girlfriend is looking to buy a phone off of kijiji and had a question which i have no answer for.

She's looking at getting a sealed phone but is wondering how the warranty would work if something goes wrong. does she need to have some sort of documentation (reciept?) from the owner?

Thing is, one of the sellers has the receipt but isn't willing to provide it due to personal info on it, which i understand. he's willing to show it though.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1329 posts
895 upvotes
Toronto, ON
no warranty

Don't buy a sealed anything.

Test it before you buy it
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4011 posts
1435 upvotes
Ontario
as mentioned, you will not get warranty, without the receipt
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6862 posts
2860 upvotes
There are honest people on kijiji but these days,i would avoid buying phones there unless its an older phone not worth much. Theres a chance whatever nice phone you buy will be blacklisted & stop working
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5160 posts
4631 upvotes
Edmonton
deadice wrote: as mentioned, you will not get warranty, without the receipt
Depends on the manufacturer. Apple and Samsung have warranty based on the serial number and don't need receipt. LG and Google (nexus) will require a receipt.

Not sure about Sony, Moto or HTC.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5160 posts
4631 upvotes
Edmonton
smuncky wrote: My girlfriend is looking to buy a phone off of kijiji and had a question which i have no answer for.

She's looking at getting a sealed phone but is wondering how the warranty would work if something goes wrong. does she need to have some sort of documentation (reciept?) from the owner?

Thing is, one of the sellers has the receipt but isn't willing to provide it due to personal info on it, which i understand. he's willing to show it though.
Buying from kijiji, Lack of warranty is the least of your worries. Getting a phone that will get blacklisted once you buy it is the main worry. I recommend you read other threads on this subject before you proceed.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
2785 posts
869 upvotes
West
Always a risk of blacklist, sad but true. That being said I've sold multiple brand new sealed phones and I would never dream of blacklisting or screwing someone over. So they all had good kijiji buying experiences but as everyone said you've gotta dodge the scammers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2666 posts
287 upvotes
Thanks for bringing up these good points guys. Checked out that recent thread as well.

She wants to go for an LG G3.

I'm guessing there isn't a place to buy a phone 2nd hand that doesn't have risk attached to it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2666 posts
287 upvotes
WhatsTheRush wrote: Always a risk of blacklist, sad but true. That being said I've sold multiple brand new sealed phones and I would never dream of blacklisting or screwing someone over. So they all had good kijiji buying experiences but as everyone said you've gotta dodge the scammers.
yeh she actually sold an iphone 4 a couple of years ago when she took on a contract on fido and just bought a cheaper phone with that money instead. so there are definitely people that just want to get rid of a phone that they got as an upgrade and would rather use that money to buy something else. and you're right, just gotta weed out the scammers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6075 posts
1860 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
smuncky wrote: My girlfriend is looking to buy a phone off of kijiji and had a question which i have no answer for.

Another victim of lost or stolen phone blacklisted phone scam
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1266 posts
643 upvotes
Montreal QC
If you value your time and your money, do not buy from kijiji, even if it is BNIB sealed. The amount of scammers ripping off the insurance companies and selling phones that will later get blacklisted are astronomical.

Pay a little bit more and buy one from the Mobile Shop / Walmart in order to get gift card bonuses.

If you are absolutely dead-set on buying a used or BNIB phones from third party markets, buy from an RFD'er with a high BST feedback.

Here is my story of how I got ripped off:
koodo-extended-warranty-now-available-9 ... st22100365

Save yourself disappointment and buy outright via carrier. It doesn't matter if you have a receipt, the scammer can claim it was stolen out of his car's glove compartment along with the phone. The only thing you can do is visit the carrier's store in person and perhaps do an IMEI trasfer through the carrier rep, otherwise the seller can rip you off with zero repercussion.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK

A resounding 'No'. Get the phone from a shop/carrier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3012709
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15048 posts
1362 upvotes
Markham
after hearing that even BNIB Sealed phones can be blacklisted, i'm not touching Kijiji/used phones again

RFD user feedback only goes so far... is your account worth the quick buck?
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
+1 buy from shop even if you pay extra $$$
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
or if u gf buys it from kijiji and it gets blacklisted i will buy it for $25 on $100 and send it over seas

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)