Buying a preivously damaged car

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 3:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
87 posts
75 upvotes

Buying a preivously damaged car

What are the risks of buying a used car that has more than $9000 worth damage? The dealership initially told me it was around $5000 and CarProof shows $9000 + worth of damage.

The dealership told me it was not a car accident and it involved a pillar that caused damages to the hood, headlights and windshield when they parked the car in their lot.

It makes me wonder what on earth can cause that to happen and $9000 cosmetic repair seems excessive too.

Thanks,
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26348 posts
11392 upvotes
Toronto
is the asking price at least 30% less than a comparable car of the same model year, similar mileage, options and a clean car ?

You can get the dealer to send it over to another certified body shop to have them do an assessment of the work involved to make sure there are no issues with the repairs.
Last edited by booblehead on Jun 4th, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 12, 2008
861 posts
293 upvotes
Ripley
First - if the dealership said it was $5000 worth of damage and it was actually $9000. Find a new dealership. This one isn't honest.

Most vehicles would be written off if there was $9000 damage. What kind of car, year and mileage? They would have had to hit that pillar pretty hard to cause that much damage.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34816 posts
8769 upvotes
Ottawa
$9000 damage on a $100K car is not so bad...but $9000 on a $20K car is a lot.
"involved a pillar" as in drove into it?? 4 fenders, hood, windshield and possibly engine and suspension if the piller fell on it.
Me? I would stay away.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1117 posts
395 upvotes
Dartmouth
st901202 wrote: What are the risks of buying a used car that has more than $9000 worth damage? The dealership initially told me it was around $5000 and CarProof shows $9000 + worth of damage.

The dealership told me it was not a car accident and it involved a pillar that caused damages to the hood, headlights and windshield when they parked the car in their lot.

It makes me wonder what on earth can cause that to happen and $9000 cosmetic repair seems excessive too.

Thanks,
As others have said it depends on the % of the vehicle value and what the damage was. 9 k damage on 100 k is not a big deal. 9 k damage on. 10 k car is a big deal.

9 k damage that’s a headlight and a hood (some headlights are in the 1000s of $) not a big deal. 9k damage to the frame..big deal.

It all needs to be looked at in context.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3591 posts
2699 upvotes
Ottawa
What does CarProof say about the damage? Repair cost alone is meaningless without knowing sufficient other details. My first instict would be to run away from this dealer, not trustworthy to continue the dialogue.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2077 posts
1990 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Vehicle repairs can be very expensive depending on the model. If its a newer German car that 9k could just be a bumper with a tech package and a headlight lol. On my Golf a new headlight costs $1500+, the radar unit costs $1000+, painting/parts are just expensive in general. With labour you get to 9k pretty damn quick.

If its a cheaper car I would walk away, unless they'll show you pics of the damage before repairs I wouldn't want the hassle.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3275 posts
1212 upvotes
It would be a "no" for me.

With so many used cars available, just try to find another one that has no claims. Unless they are discounting this car a lot!

Think about future resale value: If you are buying the car, or financing it, with the intention of keeping it for a while, the $9,000 claim is going to come back and hunt you when you want to sell the car in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5380 posts
4050 upvotes
No. $9K on the wrong end, unless it's a rear/mid engine Porsche.

On top, dealer is being dishonest.

Don't walk, run away.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
87 posts
75 upvotes
booblehead wrote: is the asking price at least 30% less than a comparable car of the same model year, similar mileage, options and a clean car ?

You can get the dealer to send it over to another certified body shop to have them do an assessment of the work involved to make sure there are no issues with the repairs.
The listing price is cheaper, but not 30% cheaper. I will ask if I can get a 3rd party inspection.

Thanks,
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
87 posts
75 upvotes
zeddy wrote: First - if the dealership said it was $5000 worth of damage and it was actually $9000. Find a new dealership. This one isn't honest.

Most vehicles would be written off if there was $9000 damage. What kind of car, year and mileage? They would have had to hit that pillar pretty hard to cause that much damage.
It is a 2019 demo car. It is still has resale value to them. There are suckers like me who is in need of a car soon looking for a cheaper option...
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
87 posts
75 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: $9000 damage on a $100K car is not so bad...but $9000 on a $20K car is a lot.
"involved a pillar" as in drove into it?? 4 fenders, hood, windshield and possibly engine and suspension if the piller fell on it.
Me? I would stay away.
MSRP price $51,000 in 2019

I am more worried about the "accident" damages the front engine and body frame.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26348 posts
11392 upvotes
Toronto
a new car then. the repair should have used factory OE parts and see if there are any signs of rust, misalignment of panels. You still need to do a test drive too. Lots of diligent works are involved for this case.

If you have too many worries, just move on.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
87 posts
75 upvotes
gumby wrote: What does CarProof say about the damage? Repair cost alone is meaningless without knowing sufficient other details. My first instict would be to run away from this dealer, not trustworthy to continue the dialogue.
It just says Hood.

According to the Sales Rep., a pole fell on the vehicle damaging the front of the vehicle.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12739 posts
7673 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Front hood or middle hood? I can see the middle hood getting replaced and costing up to 9k with parts and labour of taking off and putting on.
st901202 wrote: It just says Hood.

According to the Sales Rep., a pole fell on the vehicle damaging the front of the vehicle.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!