• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2020 2:36 pm
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
571 posts
103 upvotes

Buying property privately

Hi folks,

We are in a position to buy a property and we meet seller through a friend and they want to sell it privately and not through a realtor, I guess so that they can maximize their profits and avoid realtor commission. We agreed already on the price and they are in no rush to sell. One of the conditions of us being approved for a mortgage rate from the mortgage broker is to have purchase sale agreement. The seller ask us to prepare one. So few questions we have in mind:

1) Do we need a realtor to help us draft the purchase agreement?
2) If we go this route, Does that mean that we have to pay the realtor instead of the seller?
3) And roughly how much realtors charge for representing the buyer?
4) or Do we go straight to a real estate lawyer and have their services with them?

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by desertfox on Oct 2nd, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Mar 2, 2017
803 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
Go to a good real estate lawyer and have them draft an agreement based on loose terms you've agreed to the seller with. The seller will want their own lawyer to review them mostly to ensure no warranties/etc, if they agree to the terms you can sign a definitive agreement and you are done.

You don't need to involve a realtor.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Jun 7, 2017
948 posts
691 upvotes
BC
Buy/sell privately is no problem at all. RE agents are not needed. Hire a RE lawyer to draft the agreement.
1. No.
2. No.
3. Irrelevant in your case.
4. Yes.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1076 posts
1116 upvotes
Hopefully you are getting a slightly better price than market value by not involving a realtor and the seller nets more.
Win win.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
571 posts
103 upvotes
Thank you for all responses. I just contacted a real estate lawyer in he quoted us $1000 plus taxes to draft a purchase of sale agreement and another $1250 plus taxes for everything (legal fees, title search, registration, couriers and expenses etc) Is it about right in your area too?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7921 posts
2639 upvotes
Maple
desertfox wrote: Thank you for all responses. I just contacted a real estate lawyer in he quoted us $1000 plus taxes to draft a purchase of sale agreement and another $1250 plus taxes for everything (legal fees, title search, registration, couriers and expenses etc) Is it about right in your area too?
Don’t forget to get home inspector.
Jun 3, 2019
173 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
desertfox wrote: Thank you for all responses. I just contacted a real estate lawyer in he quoted us $1000 plus taxes to draft a purchase of sale agreement and another $1250 plus taxes for everything (legal fees, title search, registration, couriers and expenses etc) Is it about right in your area too?
$1000 plus HST to draft an approx 6-7 page document (not including representation nor any of the other docs)...wonder why that's higher than his actual fee to close on the property
Realtor® & Mortgage Agent
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
571 posts
103 upvotes
trebmember wrote: $1000 plus HST to draft an approx 6-7 page document (not including representation nor any of the other docs)...wonder why that's higher than his actual fee to close on the property
I live in BC and I don't have any idea as to the cost of drafting the document through a real estate lawyer. If sounds excessive I am wondering how much other real estate lawyer in BC charges?
Jun 3, 2019
173 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
desertfox wrote: I live in BC and I don't have any idea as to the cost of drafting the document through a real estate lawyer. If sounds excessive I am wondering how much other real estate lawyer in BC charges?
Check RFD to see if there are any BC real estate agents near you that will draft it for you for a fee lower than $1000 (they can do a buyer customer service agreement where the buyer pays the fee instead of the seller). Or just look up agents in your area and ask them.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
571 posts
103 upvotes
I contacted a notary public and ask for a quotation and suggested to download purchase agreement form online signed both parties and bring it to them as they quoted me about $1,000 plus taxes if they draft a document too. What's the difference between using a notary public and real estate lawyer?
Feb 7, 2019
204 posts
114 upvotes
desertfox wrote: I contacted a notary public and ask for a quotation and suggested to download purchase agreement form online signed both parties and bring it to them as they quoted me about $1,000 plus taxes if they draft a document too. What's the difference between using a notary public and real estate lawyer?
A real estate lawyer can give you legal advice but the notary public can’t. If it was me, I wouldn’t go to a notary public just to save a few bucks if I am buying a property.
May 28, 2012
361 posts
298 upvotes
ONT
trebmember wrote: $1000 plus HST to draft an approx 6-7 page document (not including representation nor any of the other docs)...wonder why that's higher than his actual fee to close on the property
You got it backwards, it was $1,000 for the sale agreement and another $1,250- for everything else to close on the property.
Jun 3, 2019
173 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
mrct1944 wrote: You got it backwards, it was $1,000 for the sale agreement and another $1,250- for everything else to close on the property.
OP said $1250 for legal fees, title search, registration, couriers and expenses etc. The legal fees (lawyers expertise) should come to less than $1000.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4219 posts
1472 upvotes
WFH
Not even that, he's basically filling in a template which takes 20 minutes tops. $1000 is crazy, it's ~2-3 hours work at a typical hourly rate.

OP, you do realize fees are negotiable? If yo do hand over $1K for the purchase agreement I'd try and negotiate a decent discount on the legal fees for the actual transaction The other option is to DIY and get your lawyer to review but expect to pay for that as well.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
571 posts
103 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Where are you located in BC? We sold a property last year on Vancouver Island and we didn't pay that much in fees.

Here is a link to a template that you can review as a starting point: https://www.abbotsfordnotary.com/docs/C ... e_Only.pdf
Currently living in Tri-cities. Thanks for the link and that was exactly same template I used before you posted and sent to the sellers. Eventually they decided to have it reviewed by a notary public and waiting to hear from them. This was what I suggested to them in the first place if it's ok for them if we use the sample template online. This would eventually will not cost us anymore to draft the purchase of sale agreement if they have it reviewed and make revisions on the contract. As of today, I'm still waiting to hear from them.
Oct 26, 2007
304 posts
179 upvotes
You should not need a purchase agreement just to be approved for rate. What happens if you pay for & sign an agreement and then find out mortgage is not approved for some other reason. Probably best to get pre-approved before getting lawyer involved.
May 7, 2019
21 posts
28 upvotes
I didnt read this entire forum - but i buy privately all the time (about 7-8 a year). if you want i can draft the PSA for your private transaction, probably take me about an hour max, so $150 should cut it. pm me if you need help still!
[OP]
Oct 31, 2009
571 posts
103 upvotes
Apologies I have not updated for a while. The deal was off. The seller hold off selling the property. It was an investment property that we were trying to buy. It has renters both up and down and by her accounts has good current tenants and paying on time. She was the one initially who was offering to us as she was trying to dispose slowly her rental properties as she is now retired.

Oh! well, we have move on and looking for the right property.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2368 posts
1155 upvotes
Ottawa
dirtmover wrote: Not even that, he's basically filling in a template which takes 20 minutes tops. $1000 is crazy, it's ~2-3 hours work at a typical hourly rate.

OP, you do realize fees are negotiable? If yo do hand over $1K for the purchase agreement I'd try and negotiate a decent discount on the legal fees for the actual transaction The other option is to DIY and get your lawyer to review but expect to pay for that as well.
Honestly go with a Realtor. These FSBO are seldom deals and benefit mostly the seller for the most part. When I sold a property private sale we used the standard Ontario form. Used a lawyer only for closing which was only slightly more expensive then when you do the transaction with a Realtor.