Buying quality deck stains in Canada - TWP, Defy, Armstrong Clark

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2023 11:53 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6581 posts
1748 upvotes
rural ontario
MichaelR901173 wrote: Isn't sansin DEC just as expensive? I have read great reviews about it though.
No, about $90 a can locally. Nearest Cutek dealer was a 1 hour drive away and was $120 + $20 for a tint. Some say cutek is cheaper because it only needs one coat, but I find the second coat makes a large difference in getting spots such as knots that seem to suck in paint from around it.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
rilles wrote: No, about $90 a can locally. Nearest Cutek dealer was a 1 hour drive away and was $120 + $20 for a tint. Some say cutek is cheaper because it only needs one coat, but I find the second coat makes a large difference in getting spots such as knots that seem to suck in paint from around it.
Cutek is $110/gallon and each colourtone is $10... Not that far off from $90 for sansin. Not sure why couldn't find a dealer closer than an hour away, there's 2 Cutek dealers within 20km of waterloo
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
aka_coolguy2 wrote: Hi There. I am in exact same situation as yours. I have 10 feet high deck with diagonal boards. Looking for stains right now and debating between AC Semi Transparent (order and shipped from US) or use Cutek. How is Cutek holding up so far? Just wondering if it was ok to put in two colourtone into one bucket as the paint guy at Home Hardware told me to use one. Also, did you paint the underside of the deck?

Thanks
Cutek has been holding up great. Some of the colour has faded on the steps from my dog going up and down multiple times a day, but otherwise it's great.
Using 2 colourtones will help the colour last longer between reapplications. I didn't do the underside of the deck, just the top and sides.

From what I remember seeing, AC stain will end up costing you $80-90 to have it shipped with the exchange rate, not really much savings from Cutek
Apr 13, 2016
166 posts
30 upvotes
rilles wrote: No, about $90 a can locally. Nearest Cutek dealer was a 1 hour drive away and was $120 + $20 for a tint. Some say cutek is cheaper because it only needs one coat, but I find the second coat makes a large difference in getting spots such as knots that seem to suck in paint from around it.
I am very close to going with Sansin DEC which I found for 80.00 just outside of Montreal (ST-Eustache)
My only concern is that it is water based. Some say no good, go with oil as it lasts longer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6581 posts
1748 upvotes
rural ontario
MichaelR901173 wrote: I am very close to going with Sansin DEC which I found for 80.00 just outside of Montreal (ST-Eustache)
My only concern is that it is water based. Some say no good, go with oil as it lasts longer.
Per Sansin they claim to have been doing water based stains for a long time and have perfected it. I have two decks, one I did this year with Sansin the other with Thompson timber oil. The timber really makes the wood look good but I find it has a oily residue. I prefer the Sansin, it still looks good and has held up well to foot traffic and furniture movement
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
MichaelR901173 wrote: I am very close to going with Sansin DEC which I found for 80.00 just outside of Montreal (ST-Eustache)
I will always push to going with oil based, the benefits far out weigh any costs savings

ie. OIl based you can just re-apply on top without having to completely remove the old
Apr 13, 2016
166 posts
30 upvotes
So I called Sansin yesterday to ask a couple of questions. I wanted to know if I needed to sand my new deck.
Yes, to get the mill glaze off. Okay, I can deal with that. But she also said it would need to be sanded in 2 years before re applying more stain.
Wow! I thought the idea of the penetrating stain was an easy re application every couple of years.
I should have gone with the plastic stuff. Not only costing a small fortune to maintain, but also a ton of labor which I am trying to avoid.
Any views on how to lesson my labor would be great. Many thanks
P.S. not that I am lazy, but we have a cottage with a deck, and a smaller front deck with many stairs and a large dock etc..
with the city house, I am looking for products that are somewhat of a good deal, and easier to maintain.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3098 posts
4574 upvotes
West GTA
MichaelR901173 wrote: So I called Sansin yesterday to ask a couple of questions. I wanted to know if I needed to sand my new deck.
Yes, to get the mill glaze off. Okay, I can deal with that. But she also said it would need to be sanded in 2 years before re applying more stain.
Wow! I thought the idea of the penetrating stain was an easy re application every couple of years.
I should have gone with the plastic stuff. Not only costing a small fortune to maintain, but also a ton of labor which I am trying to avoid.
Any views on how to lesson my labor would be great. Many thanks
P.S. not that I am lazy, but we have a cottage with a deck, and a smaller front deck with many stairs and a large dock etc..
with the city house, I am looking for products that are somewhat of a good deal, and easier to maintain.
If you have to sand Sansin to reapply it, then forget it. Just use a penetrating oil and shell out for Cutek.
Apr 13, 2016
166 posts
30 upvotes
schade wrote: Cutek has been holding up great. Some of the colour has faded on the steps from my dog going up and down multiple times a day, but otherwise it's great.
Using 2 colourtones will help the colour last longer between reapplications. I didn't do the underside of the deck, just the top and sides.

From what I remember seeing, AC stain will end up costing you $80-90 to have it shipped with the exchange rate, not really much savings from Cutek
Hey Schade, thanks for the input. What color did you pic and are you happy with it> what wood did you put it on? Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Hi guys, and suggestions on what to use on a cedar shed and cedar fence? I don't really want to colour it, just protect and prevent it from greying too much.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
MichaelR901173 wrote: Hey Schade, thanks for the input. What color did you pic and are you happy with it> what wood did you put it on? Thanks
I choose the colour chestnut. I used 2 colourtones per gallon to give it a bit darker initial colour but it would help it last a bit longer when the colour started to fade.
I'm very happy with it. I might reapply it this fall or maybe wait till spring. That'll be 2 years since the initial application.
My deck is built with pressure treated wood, I finished it in the fall and waited till the following spring to stain it with Cutek.
Images
  • 3055385_original.jpg
  • 3055383_original.jpg
  • 3063773_original.jpg
Apr 13, 2016
166 posts
30 upvotes
schade wrote: I choose the colour chestnut. I used 2 colourtones per gallon to give it a bit darker initial colour but it would help it last a bit longer when the colour started to fade.
I'm very happy with it. I might reapply it this fall or maybe wait till spring. That'll be 2 years since the initial application.
My deck is built with pressure treated wood, I finished it in the fall and waited till the following spring to stain it with Cutek.
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. Looks great!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
2483 posts
284 upvotes
bacalhau4me wrote: If your deck was never stained, you don't need pro clean. Just wash the deck and stain it.
My pressure-treated fence is 6 months old, just pressure washed it today. Wonder if I need to also Proclean it? The fence does have a few algae stains, very small though. How much is a jug of Proclean?

Any difference in applying CUTEK to a fence vs deck? Also a little concerned with any excess paint being dripped onto the neighbours side.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1268 posts
655 upvotes
York Region
reggyDeal wrote: My pressure-treated fence is 6 months old, just pressure washed it today. Wonder if I need to also Proclean it? The fence does have a few algae stains, very small though. How much is a jug of Proclean?

Any difference in applying CUTEK to a fence vs deck? Also a little concerned with any excess paint being dripped onto the neighbours side.
Washing your fence should be enough. Maybe you can lightly sand those algae stain if the pressure washer didn't remove them.

There shouldn't be any different applying to a fence or deck. Put a bunch of card board at the bottom of your fence to catch all the drips.
Personally I find the Cutek price e a bit overkill for a fence but you will never have to worry about peeling. I'm a big Cutek fan.
May 5, 2020
4 posts
Can you provide an update on how the stain is holding up? I’m looking into using this brand
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1098 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: I choose the colour chestnut. I used 2 colourtones per gallon to give it a bit darker initial colour but it would help it last a bit longer when the colour started to fade.
What's the second color from left?
Jan 30, 2016
539 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone got an opinion on superdeck sold at sherwin williams, seems popular with Americans.
I'm having trouble getting all of my old sikkens stain off, debating if i should switch to a solid stain or just go for a darker semi transparent stain. Opinions? Recommendations for a strong stain stripper?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1600 posts
257 upvotes
hey guys, so i used the CUtek Extreme to stain my deck.

I am now planning to stain my fence. Brand new PT wood installed 2 years ago and never stained. I plan to power wash it down then stain it.

I want to to know if i can use a paint sprayer to stain the fence? I am planning to use the CUtek Extreme stain as well.

Can someone confirm if that's ok or do i need to use the wool applicator again.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
snipe2014 wrote: hey guys, so i used the CUtek Extreme to stain my deck.

I am now planning to stain my fence. Brand new PT wood installed 2 years ago and never stained. I plan to power wash it down then stain it.

I want to to know if i can use a paint sprayer to stain the fence? I am planning to use the CUtek Extreme stain as well.

Can someone confirm if that's ok or do i need to use the wool applicator again.
I think for fence it's more common to use a sprayer, also depends on how your fence is built.. some designs could be quite a pain in the ass to do with a roller or pad