Home & Garden

Buying quality deck stains in Canada - TWP, Defy, Armstrong Clark

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2023 11:53 am
Sep 1, 2014
144 posts
48 upvotes
Ajax, ON
grumble wrote: I believe that the firm makes both a grey and a weathered colour. Can use either of those to give yourself the benefits of staining but to keep a lighter colour. Note: plan 'clear' will also silver with age, though a bit more slowly and evenly than unstained.
The firm?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
CsG wrote: Planning to apply Cutek on my deck. AFAIK the deck has never been stained or sealed.

I power washed it few weeks ago and also used Behr cleaner and brightener, but the ongoing rain has made it hard to keep going. How much should I be sanding things down? Just to get rid of the raised grains, or should I be aiming to get rid of the grey too? See attached middle plank with most grey sanded out, and ones on the side with some remaining.

Also, this has been chewing away at my sand papers with my 5" random orbital sander. Should I try renting a belt sander instead?
The cleaner and brightener is done after any sanding, and sanding should only be done if you are removing an old water based stain or fixing rough spots/damages etc. By sanding after the cleaner you in a way removed the benefits of what the cleaner does which is opening up the pores of the wood to help the stain absorb better
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
rilles wrote: I pressure washed to clean off the mold and sun damage then used an orbital sander with 60 grit. I went through a couple of pads before I was done. I think a belt sander would be faster but really heavy compared to an orbital.

I had a new brush laying around which I used to apply cutek, but I would recommend getting a pad - cutek is really fussy about being a thin layer.
I have a another deck with Sansin, a fence with Thompson and a shed with Beher. Cutek has been the most fussy of them all and took a full two days to dry.
Don't have exp with other stains myself. But I really don't feel Cutek is fussy nor difficult/tricky to apply at all. Between this and last season, I did all my upper level decks, walkways and fences, used combination of big brush (Deck Boss), small brush, paint mitten/pad, and spray gun. Went through almost 14 gallons. Staining is by-far the easiest and most straight-forward step (well except the deck wood guard rails, nothing can make that part easy), compare to all the prep, sanding and cleaning of all the old lumbers I have.
Yes, it takes longer to dry, but that's all-oil (and heavy oil) stain so should be expected. The longer dry time really doesn't affect us much. After a couple days or whatever you can go on and use the deck even if not completely dry.

I know some people are really careful/concern about having absolutely no rain between all the prep/clean/sand/stain steps. But IMO/IME, that's a bit overblown.
A bit of rain isn't gona destroy your deck's lumber that you have to re-sand, re-clean it. I've waited 2-3 weeks with a few rain showers in between from cleaning/sanding to staining, didn't really make any difference.
Some rain before Cutek completely dry isn't gona ruin it. Yes, I've had many rains before mine completely dry and it's just fine. The absolutely worst incident for me this early spring, I did 2nd-coat on a section of side walkway with weather forecast saying <40% chance of rain <1mm. I went ahead anyway. Turned out... 4 hours after I finished, rain was literally pouring down for hours. Had to wait another day for the rain water to dry/run off, but the stain turned out just fine. Obviously that's absolutely not ideal and I took a chance, so don't do that. But just saying, the drying step is not really that finicky as it seems, a day or 2 without rain after staining you should be more than safe.
Sep 1, 2014
144 posts
48 upvotes
Ajax, ON
grumble wrote: Firm is another word for company.
haha yes. Which firm are you referring to though?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
RFDHero wrote: haha yes. Which firm are you referring to though?
Ah - Cutek is the brand, Chemisys is the firm that produces the brand. It comes in clear, a ‘weathered’ and a grey tint so if one wants to ha Eva deck silver they can stain it clear (which will let the deck silver, just better), weathered (kind of like clear, but a bit more rustic) or with the grey tint so it can be somewhat ‘pre silvered’ artificially.
Sep 1, 2014
144 posts
48 upvotes
Ajax, ON
grumble wrote: Ah - Cutek is the brand, Chemisys is the firm that produces the brand. It comes in clear, a ‘weathered’ and a grey tint so if one wants to ha Eva deck silver they can stain it clear (which will let the deck silver, just better), weathered (kind of like clear, but a bit more rustic) or with the grey tint so it can be somewhat ‘pre silvered’ artificially.
Interesting. I can only see the CLEAR option online and in stores but no WEATHERED option. Clear option actually darkens the wood and puts a shine on it, i tested that out and i don't like it. Is WEATHERED called something else?

Thanks for your replies btw :)
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1876 posts
1154 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
Bringing this old thread back for the 2022 season! Found the Armstrong Clark stains at a store locally today and found this thread while doing more research. Was planning to use SW SuperDeck but it sounds like the AC is a superior product. I have a LOT of wood to treat.

- 250 linear feet of 6' fence
- 16x32 bi-level pool deck
- 16x22 deck
- 12x20 covered porch deck
- 12x20 pine tongue and groove ceiling
- 7 pine 8x8 wood post covers

I can figure out the math on it all, and I think we like the Rustic Brown color, but just wondering if anyone sees any issue using the AC product for all of the above?
Jan 9, 2021
61 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Hi do you do mind shearing the local store info where you found AC stains. Also the cost. Thank you

nickwa wrote: Bringing this old thread back for the 2022 season! Found the Armstrong Clark stains at a store locally today and found this thread while doing more research. Was planning to use SW SuperDeck but it sounds like the AC is a superior product. I have a LOT of wood to treat.

- 16x22 deck

I can figure out the math on it all, and I think we like the Rustic Brown color, but just wondering if anyone sees any issue using the AC product for all of the above?
Aug 19, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote
BC Coast
Winter's done. How did all the stains, treatments, oils, etc hold up?

Anyone have an opinion about the product they used?

I am still looking at oil based protective exterior finishes. I'd like something Canadian.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2011
1876 posts
1154 upvotes
Not NEPEAN
In Northern Ontario? It was $79 a can regular price, $70 during their spring sale. Only thing is they only carry 5 colors, 3 transparent and 2 semi transparent. I got the rustic brown.
Aug 3, 2020
191 posts
495 upvotes
nickwa wrote: Bringing this old thread back for the 2022 season! Found the Armstrong Clark stains at a store locally today and found this thread while doing more research. Was planning to use SW SuperDeck but it sounds like the AC is a superior product. I have a LOT of wood to treat.

- 16x22 deck

Which store in Ontario? Please share the address.
Nov 24, 2007
672 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I recently re-finished my ~600sqft cedar deck.

The deck was built around 8 years ago and left untreated. About 5 years ago, we stripped the weathered surface using a pressure washer and "brightener" product recommended by HD. After the stripping, the deck looked like new. After an appropriate number of dry, sunny days, we treated the deck using CIL Woodcare Canadian Wood Oil from HD. I believe we used two coats applied according to the instructions.

After the first winter, the deck was already peeling in spots - it was clear that these spots were never really absorbed into the wood. Upon instruction from HD, we did a scuff sand of the whole deck, used a cleaner, and then again re-oiled the whole deck after it was thoroughly dry. The following spring saw peeling all over the place again.

Through COVID, we said "F it" and just let it run down. This year, we drove all the screws in, rented a big floor sander from HD, stripped the deck down to clean wood, removed the dust with a broom and my WG520 air cannon and then re-coated using Cutek Extreme. The difference in application was dramatic - this stuff just sucked in to the wood. We used almost 3 cans for the first coat, and laid a second coat two weeks later. The second coat used just over a can. It all went on super easy, was not as finicky as the CIL.

The Cutek dealer said that we should never have to sand again, and that we shouldn't experience any peeling; they said wash, dry, and top up with another coat annually. I hope this is true, because this was a b!tch of a job, particularly hand sanding (using Rigid Octane 1/4 sheet sander) all of the corners, railings, and other vertical areas.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
It has been 3 years since I applied Cutek and I think it is time to reapply. I am confused as to the prep as I have seen different recommendations:

1. Use Cutek ProClean
2. Use Cutek QuickClean
3. Use Activox cleaner (sold at HomeHardware, next to Cutek stains)
4. Don't use any products, just use a pressure washer

Thoughts?
Public Mobile customer
Lucky Mobile customer
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5967 posts
2749 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: It has been 3 years since I applied Cutek and I think it is time to reapply. I am confused as to the prep as I have seen different recommendations:

1. Use Cutek ProClean
2. Use Cutek QuickClean
3. Use Activox cleaner (sold at HomeHardware, next to Cutek stains)
4. Don't use any products, just use a pressure washer

Thoughts?
I've never used Cutek but thought about using it. I just wonder given the high cost of the product and the need to reapply every couple of years or so if its worthwhile? I could power wash and replace the boards when the time comes. Hard to weigh the difference without having been on both sides

I would think that power washing your existing Cutek application should be a last resort? You wouldn't want to remove what's already absorbed into the wood. Maybe if you posted a photo you may have some feedback? I'd certainly would be interested to see what a Cutek coated deck looks like after 3 years.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5967 posts
2749 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Appears to be an actual _independent_ review of 24 different deck stains? Most review sites aren't.

The Great Stain Shoot-Out: The Sequel
https://www.jlconline.com/deck-builder/ ... e-sequel_o

"after 28 months of exposure to western Washington’s drizzly rain and summer sun, we thoroughly reviewed all the boards again. We graded each sample’s general appearance, looking specifically at color retention and weathering. We also were interested in comparing how much moisture protection the finishes were providing to the wood."
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1727 posts
1547 upvotes
fergy wrote: Appears to be an actual _independent_ review of 24 different deck stains? Most review sites aren't.

The Great Stain Shoot-Out: The Sequel
https://www.jlconline.com/deck-builder/ ... e-sequel_o

"after 28 months of exposure to western Washington’s drizzly rain and summer sun, we thoroughly reviewed all the boards again. We graded each sample’s general appearance, looking specifically at color retention and weathering. We also were interested in comparing how much moisture protection the finishes were providing to the wood."
No doubt Cutek is an excellent product, and the Deck Stain shootout does a very good comparison, but the testing is not without flaws.

I'm sticking with Ready Seal and have been extremely happy with the product. It's even easier to apply and maintain. It is widely used by contractors and has lots of very positive reviews on Amazon (5 gallon on Amazon is very reasonably priced), where it's easy to buy (even in Canada). It was not rated as highly in the Great Stain shootout article, but no test is perfect:
  • The article doesn't rate Ready Seal highly for colour retention, but did anyone notice that is was comparing Ready Seal - Light Oak colour (which is the lightest colour available), to much darker colours for the other stains (Dark Cedar for Cutek). Of course the lightest colour stain isn't going to retain colour as much as a darker stain.
  • It doesn't rate Ready Seal highly for moisture protection because it doesn't bead water. But beading water is not an indication of water protection, and in the earlier 9 month review, where the tester used a moisture meter, Ready Seal did very well in the moisture meter test (11.0% vs 10.5% for Cutek), but was still summarized as "partial" in the chart only because it doesn't bead water. But Ready Seal is not designed to bead water; but it protects against water penetration.
Nov 24, 2007
672 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
orange260z wrote: I recently re-finished my ~600sqft cedar deck.

The deck was built around 8 years ago and left untreated. About 5 years ago, we stripped the weathered surface using a pressure washer and "brightener" product recommended by HD. After the stripping, the deck looked like new. After an appropriate number of dry, sunny days, we treated the deck using CIL Woodcare Canadian Wood Oil from HD. I believe we used two coats applied according to the instructions.

After the first winter, the deck was already peeling in spots - it was clear that these spots were never really absorbed into the wood. Upon instruction from HD, we did a scuff sand of the whole deck, used a cleaner, and then again re-oiled the whole deck after it was thoroughly dry. The following spring saw peeling all over the place again.

Through COVID, we said "F it" and just let it run down. This year, we drove all the screws in, rented a big floor sander from HD, stripped the deck down to clean wood, removed the dust with a broom and my WG520 air cannon and then re-coated using Cutek Extreme. The difference in application was dramatic - this stuff just sucked in to the wood. We used almost 3 cans for the first coat, and laid a second coat two weeks later. The second coat used just over a can. It all went on super easy, was not as finicky as the CIL.

The Cutek dealer said that we should never have to sand again, and that we shouldn't experience any peeling; they said wash, dry, and top up with another coat annually. I hope this is true, because this was a b!tch of a job, particularly hand sanding (using Rigid Octane 1/4 sheet sander) all of the corners, railings, and other vertical areas.

So an update - the Cutek held up great, much better than anything we had used previously. There are NO bare or flaking patches, the finish still looks great. Our plan is to follow the dealer's instructions and to wash, dry and top with another coat this year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
nickwa wrote: Bringing this old thread back for the 2022 season! Found the Armstrong Clark stains at a store locally today
I would also like to know at what local store you found the Armstrong Clark stain. Please post. I could only find it shipped from the USA and shipping is $70-80 USD for 3 gallons.
Nov 24, 2007
672 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
orange260z wrote: So an update - the Cutek held up great, much better than anything we had used previously. There are NO bare or flaking patches, the finish still looks great. Our plan is to follow the dealer's instructions and to wash, dry and top with another coat this year.
This year's coat went on really nice, just washed the deck and put a coat on after it was fully dry. Used about a can for the whole thing (about 650sqft IIRC).