Buying Refurbished Dell via Staples

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 1:19 pm
[OP]
Jun 29, 2019
1 posts

Buying Refurbished Dell via Staples

Hi all,

Looking at buying a refurbished XPS 15, and while seemingly Dell themselves only sell them in the US, I found some in Canada through Staples. There is a decent amount of money to be saved: https://www.staples.ca/search?q=dell%20 ... 160&is_v=1

Just wondering if anybody has experience buying through this avenue? How is Dell refurbished? Is it likely to have scratches and such on it or do they do a pretty good job? I bought a refurb Macbook Pro for my wife a few years back and it was in perfect condition so I have high hopes for this.

Recent customer experience with Dell? I know its a sore point for many but while I haven't bought a new machine for many years I used to have perfectly fine interactions with them.

Thanks in advance!
B
2 replies
Sep 12, 2019
10 posts
1 upvote
I had refurdished Dell back in 2008 and it worked perfect for 7 years after that but it wan't via Staples. So refurb - yes, Staples - have no idea.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4195 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
Because the Staples listing doesn't specifically say "manufacturer-refurbished", it's likely been refurbished by a third party and the warranty is through them. You should contact Staples and ask who is selling the laptops and providing the warranty and check them out. Dell likely has nothing to do with the refurbishment or their warranty.

Dell's stuff that is refurbished by the manufacturer (mostly returns from a corporate lease) are sold directly to the public at dellrefurbished.ca and you'll find plenty of threads about them. I recall them previously saying that they won't have anything like the XPS series because there usually aren't leases for those, hence all the Latitiude-series laptops on their website.

You will find plenty of opinions on the manufacturer-refurbished Dells (I've bought a lot from them and are quite happy), but ones from a third party can be quite different. Therefore, you should ignore any opinions except for people who have bought stuff refurbished by that specific third party. In general, those third parties can be hit-and-miss.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)