• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 9:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
168 posts
267 upvotes

Buying a sofa....covid times

I need a condo-sized sofa, would prefer something on the firmer side not the typical sink into a cloud sofa from Brick/Leon's.

Any recommendations for online shopping for a sofa? Good reviews? Nightmares?

Anyone try Cozey? The ads lured me into clicking, very few reviews and most say the fabric choice is limited to 1 otherwise a decent basic sofa. I don't mind just throwing blankets and cushions on top, but do prefer microfibre/velvety sofas.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4907 posts
1512 upvotes
Costco.ca
Let's hug it out
Nov 24, 2019
97 posts
63 upvotes
We bought ours from Article at the start of covid last year. Never sat on it, delivered to house, put together in 5 mins and love to sofa
Jan 8, 2009
785 posts
439 upvotes
GTA
We bought 2 Cozey loveseats for our new place back in November and we love them. Get them to send you their fabric samples. Ours arrived within a couple of days. They're not microfibre or velvety but they're not scratchy or uncomfortable either and I think they'll hold up for a long time. We got one in white and one in the dark grey (along with an ottoman). They're easy to assemble and when we had a small problem with one piece (one of the seats on the dark grey sofa was missing one of the metal pieces that holds a foot screw) they rush-ordered a replacement and it arrived within a day - at no cost to us and they said if we could fix the first piece to our satisfaction then just keep them both. So impressed.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
What does covid have to do with anything? Stay at home if you're afraid.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1110 posts
979 upvotes
ON
koffey wrote: What does covid have to do with anything? Stay at home if you're afraid.
I think the OP is implying that because of covid they want to purchase the sofa online and not go into the stores.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
Holystone wrote: I think the OP is implying that because of covid they want to purchase the sofa online and not go into the stores.
Gotcha. IMO, bad idea unless it has free returns.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1110 posts
979 upvotes
ON
koffey wrote: Gotcha. IMO, bad idea unless it has free returns.
Very true! Sofa is the last thing I would buy without trying it out personally to confirm it’s comfortable.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, when I bought mine, I never realized how much sofas differ and one of the most important things to me was the actual height of the sofa from the floor. That was one thing, I never really thought of until I mapped out my space in the living room and checked out every sofa in those dimensions. Than it was elimination mode of build quality. Did they use crap staples? Glue? What is the frame made out of, the list became endless but ended up with a fantastic sofa.

Here is my banter about it, lol

structube-furniture-1047979/2/#p27573849
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
168 posts
267 upvotes
koffey wrote: What does covid have to do with anything? Stay at home if you're afraid.
I would go in stores if there wasn't a restriction on non-essential retail.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
168 posts
267 upvotes
Lotek9119 wrote: We bought ours from Article at the start of covid last year. Never sat on it, delivered to house, put together in 5 mins and love to sofa
Thanks! Never heard of Article and everything looks reasonable. If you don't mind me asking, which sofa did you buy and how is it? My only criteria is preferring something on the firmer side, not sag after a year or scratchy.

Also thank the SEO gods, I came across Noa, Canadian based but they sell around the world. Price really awesome, cheaper than Cozey and hoping quality is up there too. Sale ends next week but that's top of my list now along with Article.
Nov 24, 2019
97 posts
63 upvotes
restartRFD wrote: Thanks! Never heard of Article and everything looks reasonable. If you don't mind me asking, which sofa did you buy and how is it? My only criteria is preferring something on the firmer side, not sag after a year or scratchy.

Also thank the SEO gods, I came across Noa, Canadian based but they sell around the world. Price really awesome, cheaper than Cozey and hoping quality is up there too. Sale ends next week but that's top of my list now along with Article.
We bought the Gaba, it was going out of rotation or something (I dont see it on their site anymore) and got it for about 30% off. Id say its most similar to the Sitka model. Ours has down back cushions and a firmer seat. My wife does most of the sitting on it but she loves it. All covers removable, easy to clean. It has a deep seat which is what we were looking for.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14932 posts
9340 upvotes
Toronto
restartRFD wrote: I would go in stores if there wasn't a restriction on non-essential retail.
Wait it out, I would, but stores were opened until today...
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1797 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
I bought an armchair from Article and am very happy with. It's not my primary sofa though; when I bought that, I spent all afternoon trying it out in-store (Urban Barn).

If you do order from Article, various podcasts offer promo codes for $50 off. E.g., https://www.article.com/canadaland
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1518 posts
629 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Article gets really good reviews online. I read a recent comment on Reddit that someone went to buy a sofa from Structube and the SALESPERSON told them not to buy from there.
Dec 8, 2018
60 posts
70 upvotes
Curious to know what did you end up buying. I'm looking to buy one and we live in a condo too.
Feb 4, 2018
82 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Three years ago I bought a large sofa and large loveseat for my re-finished basement. I live in Toronto, so I looked on-line at Barrymore's web site to get a sense of sizes/styles. I then went to the Barrymore showroom to check floor samples--I sat on various styles that I liked to check for height, depth, etc. (Barrymore has a lot of discounted upholstered furniture in the 'back room'). Once I knew which sofa design I liked, I went to an upholsterer that I have dealt with for years. He orders the frames from the same supplier that Barrymore uses. He also comes to my house to take measurements to ensure that the pieces can be taken down into my basement. He has thousands of fabric samples to look--I pretty much knew what I wanted, so I was able to sign out fabric choices to test them out at home. When I narrowed my fabric choices down to 2 or 3, he was able to order in samples that I could keep. The upholsterer can adjust the foam choices and wrapping to accommodate a preference for more or less "firmness". This process takes time but I am very pleased with the quality.

Living in a condo, you need to be absolutely certain that your furniture choice will be able to fit into tight spaces (elevator, hallway, entrance door)--so accurate measurements are critical.
SOFA 1.jpg
[attachment=2]
Images
  • SOFA 2.jpg
Feb 4, 2018
82 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
deals4realz wrote: Barrymore went bankrupt 2-3 years ago.
Thank you for that update. I just did a quick google search, February 2020 was the date noted in The Toronto Star for its final shut-down on Caledonia Rd.. Barrymore was a well-respected source for fine furniture and upholstery. I believe Barrymore has re-surfaced under new ownership--their designs were purchased by the new owner. More info is available by copy/pasting the following link:

https://www.barrymorefurniture.com/about/our-history