Shopping Discussion

buying a tv in USA bring to canada will manuf. plus extended (square trade) warranty be honored anyone???

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2016 3:13 pm
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
153 posts
14 upvotes
Oakville

buying a tv in USA bring to canada will manuf. plus extended (square trade) warranty be honored anyone???

has anyone bought a tv in the US and brought back to canada?? have you purchased the extended warranty? is coverage included in canada as well? the same tv here is about 3000+13% tax. where as in the US it works out to approx $2500 after HST added on.

can anyone give me any experiences they have had with the extended warranties?

thank you

:)
Last edited by gtown324 on Nov 10th, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
If you have the capability to buy a TV in the US why do you not have the capability to return (or request warranty service) in the US?
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
153 posts
14 upvotes
Oakville
it would be a 75inch so I was thinking about in home servicing but i dont want to get it if the extended warranty wont be honored in canada.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20683 posts
4825 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Why would any company honor a warranty on an item not bought here?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Why doesn't the OP ask the company that provides the extended warranty or read the terms of the warranty?
Every company is different.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1227 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
gtown324 wrote: has anyone bought a tv in the US and brought back to canada?? have you purchased the extended warranty? is coverage included in canada as well? the same tv here is about 3000+13% tax. where as in the US it works out to approx $2500 after HST added on.

can anyone give me any experiences they have had with the extended warranties?

thank you

:)
I would think you'd get the most accurate answer from the manufacturer or warranty company themselves. If/when the time to use it came and they refused, I'm not sure how much "well someone on redflagdeals said so" would help you.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
153 posts
14 upvotes
Oakville
understood thanks. and i was only looking hear of others experiences. not to quote RFD.

there are other products that are warrantied in multiple countries such as tires but i wanted to get an idea

for example costco US and costco canada both use square trade but i couldnt find much for details on extended warranties in terms of exclusivity to the country purchased in. maybe i will walk in and grab a brochure.

i did however find samsung tvs in US are only covered in US.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21101 posts
15052 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gtown324 wrote: there are other products that are warrantied in multiple countries such as tires but i wanted to get an idea... i did however find samsung tvs in US are only covered in US.
The most authoritative information will come from the manufacturer. Some don't offer warranty outside the country of purchase. Some do but the terms vary. For instance in some cases the Canadian subsidiary would look after doing the work without charge, then get reimbursed by their US counterpart internally. In other cases they'd charge you as if non-warranty, make you pay up-front in Canada, then expect you to submit the paperwork to the US for reimbursement.
for example costco US and costco canada both use square trade but i couldnt find much for details on extended warranties

Again, the most authoritative information will come from the seller, in this case Square Trade and possibly Costco. This doesn't sound encouraging because it talks about eBay. Even worse it talks about a "quality experience" from UPS. [Perhaps "quality experience" means UPS applies extra lube when they service Square Trade customers in Canada.] And of course as you've noted it's not practical to send a 75" TV back to the US for service even if the shipment and customs clearance, etc. happen smoothly.

Is the Care Plan available to non-US residents?
The SquareTrade Care Plan is available to residents of Canada who purchase on eBay U.S., Purchasers should have access to a UPS store to ensure a quality experience at time of claim. Unfortunately we do not sell in the Canadian territories.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)