• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 1:57 pm
[OP]
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes

Buying a used 2008 Mazda 3 GX?

This Mazda has 161k and has had a single owner. The owner said he had a garage change the clutch 2-3 years ago and has the receipt. I see some rust spots but overall in good shape.

I am wondering what to look for since I've always driven Toyotas and have developed a general distrust for Mazdas since people say they are unreliable. Anything specific I should pay close attention to? This is a manual model, are their transmissions reliable? Do they have known problems? I'm inspecting it tomorrow. Thanks for your input!
Images
  • $_59.jpeg
20 replies
[OP]
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote: In before someone says rust bucket.
I am well aware of the rust problems. But is there something mechanical I should pay close attention to?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Struts to see if oil leaking

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
How much are you buying it for?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2706 posts
1178 upvotes
Burnaby
Rear suspension and engine mounts. Also, seems like previous owners of this generation like to ride the breaks a lot which could lead to warped rotors but the manual tranny should help with that. Mine's been reliable only oil changes, have had the car for 2.5 years 163k now, 2009.

Looks like it needs a polish
[OP]
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: How much are you buying it for?
A little over a brick. Why do they sell so cheap is what I wonder too.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes
amplified wrote: Rear suspension and engine mounts. Also, seems like previous owners of this generation like to ride the breaks a lot which could lead to warped rotors but the manual tranny should help with that. Mine's been reliable only oil changes, have had the car for 2.5 years 163k now, 2009.

Looks like it needs a polish
Did you have to change the clutch at all? How about rust, is there somewhere specific I should look first to give me a general idea of the state overall?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2978 posts
1311 upvotes
GTA
Some 2.3's dont go the distance, but mine has 262k on it.
The 5 speed manual is reliable.

Problem point on the car are rust, the suspension parts wearing out along with motor + tranny mounts.
Otherwise they're fairly simple and pretty reliable cars.

They're not a corolla, but they have a better suspension and engine and they're also a lot more fun to drive.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4426 posts
2929 upvotes
Mazda have always and will continue to be frowned upon as a rust bucket. Good luck
Apr 8, 2020
695 posts
449 upvotes
Why was the clutch changed ?
What was wrong with it ?
Was it change because of the DRIVER ? - it was changed 2y ago , so can you expect the problem again ?

BTW it wasn't Mazda but my clutch was fine all 12y and 250k
and showed no signs of problems when I got rid of the car
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
Generation 1' Mazda 3 has bad rep with their rust, just like people mention here. It is not easy to sell unless the price is low.

I m not surprise that it only cost a thousand or so.

It is not a bad idea to get one cheap and see how long it lasts.
Just bring it for an inspection and make sure the car doesn't need immediate repairs. Otherwise it is a good ride for this amount of money. You will not find a 2008 Honda or Toyota at this price unless it is just part out material.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2706 posts
1178 upvotes
Burnaby
goobydale wrote: How about rust, is there somewhere specific I should look first to give me a general idea of the state overall?
No rust on mine but I live on the west coast. Pretty typical places 90s japanese cars, wheel well arches, where body panels meet and trunk lid
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2941 posts
2348 upvotes
Markham
I known quite a few owners of this generation of Mazda. Rust is the obvious problem. I recall the brakes need replacing sooner than anticipated. The manuals are very good compared to the automatic. A GX model IIRC was Mazda's base trim and that likely points to the 2.0L and that engine is a good one as far as reliability that they've used until they've introduced the Skyactiv engines. Those are all I can think of mechanically. What I do know is the car's exterior durability is definitely weaker than most. It suffered pretty badly in the hail storms that actually happen in the Toronto area.

Having said that, this is definitely the best driving of all the compacts of its generation. This really was the nicest of the Mazda 3s to drive compared to its successors. Great steering feel, good handling, and that was a big reason why I suspect many bought it, compared to the Civic and Corolla of the day, this was just a better experience. I always wanted to be given the keys to this car when I was starting off working in rental.
Jun 21, 2006
856 posts
475 upvotes
Does the AC work ? Don't forget to check that
[OP]
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes
Guys thanks for your inputs. I bought it. I inspected everything I researched on these models (engine, tranny mounts, etc) and the suggestions on here. It has a bit of rust mainly around the back wheel arches. The frame is as rusted as a vehicle its age, the side panels, where you jack the car from is intact(almost). And yes the A/C works, no check engine on, the clutch is nice and responsive and I have all the repair receipts from the owner. 1400$ with winter tires on rims. Now it's down to luck, since I drive like a grandmother.

Compared to the echo 2004 I had, this is less rusty and more sturdy.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes
bizzyseller wrote: What is a brick?
A band, a grand, a large one, an XL, a 10hundo, a brick, a shard, a g note, a 1, a thaw, a thou (not thou yee), 1000 $. And my fave, a grouping of 10 100$ bills. Known by dentists as a 'quick one' or "the sweet spot". Also known by wives as "HOW MUCH??".
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
goobydale wrote: Guys thanks for your inputs. I bought it. I inspected everything I researched on these models (engine, tranny mounts, etc) and the suggestions on here. It has a bit of rust mainly around the back wheel arches. The frame is as rusted as a vehicle its age, the side panels, where you jack the car from is intact(almost). And yes the A/C works, no check engine on, the clutch is nice and responsive and I have all the repair receipts from the owner. 1400$ with winter tires on rims. Now it's down to luck, since I drive like a grandmother.

Compared to the echo 2004 I had, this is less rusty and more sturdy.
Congrats.
For Future questions regarding maintenance, repairs and such, go to Toronto Mazda 3 web site (not sure if you are around GTA). Regardless, a lot of useful info can be found there specifically to your new used MZ3.
I spent a lot of time there to find parts, mods, meetups when I had my MS3.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)