• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 11:07 am
[OP]
Jul 23, 2018
284 posts
100 upvotes

Buying a Used Car + Carfax Question

Hi everyone,

Hoping you car experts can help me out with 3 queries.

I saw a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT at a Mazda dealer and everything looks good - to my untrained eye. I noticed the underside had some rust but I have no idea what's normal or not. Or should there just be none?
It's a certified pre-owned car, with a 160 point inspection done and a 7 year powertrain warranty etc. Should I just trust that, or ask an independent mechanic (if I find one) to check the car? We were rushing since the dealer was closing but will be going back.

Is approx. 20k excluding taxes a good price for the GT? 97,000 km's.

The Carfax report is below showing 1 owner, no accidents etc. but I'm not sure if I spotted a few redflags or am being paranoid.
CarFax.PNG

1. Why would a brand new vehicle be "serviced" 1 month before it's registered to a new owner? Twice, June 14, and 27. Or is that just normal stuff done for new cars?
2. New owner registered on July 7, and again servied? Now I'm really thinking it just means some add on's or something was done and "Service" is a general term used.
3. What does "Previous use Personal" mean in July 2017.
4. Since 2017, there has been no further registration renewal. Is that normal? How long is registration usually valid for, and how can I find out the truth?

Is the Carfax from dealers the same report as if I purchased it separately? I presume so.

Finally, any tips to bargain with?
Thanks in advance, and have a great long weekend!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2628 posts
1896 upvotes
OongaLoonga wrote: Hi everyone,

Hoping you car experts can help me out with 3 queries.

I saw a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT at a Mazda dealer and everything looks good - to my untrained eye. I noticed the underside had some rust but I have no idea what's normal or not. Or should there just be none?
It's a certified pre-owned car, with a 160 point inspection done and a 7 year powertrain warranty etc. Should I just trust that, or ask an independent mechanic (if I find one) to check the car? We were rushing since the dealer was closing but will be going back.

Is approx. 20k excluding taxes a good price for the GT? 97,000 km's.

The Carfax report is below showing 1 owner, no accidents etc. but I'm not sure if I spotted a few redflags or am being paranoid.

CarFax.PNG

1. Why would a brand new vehicle be "serviced" 1 month before it's registered to a new owner? Twice, June 14, and 27. Or is that just normal stuff done for new cars?
Could be anything....recall, lack of available part if owner broke something?
2. New owner registered on July 7, and again servied? Now I'm really thinking it just means some add on's or something was done and "Service" is a general term used.
"serviced could mean detail, free oil change from selling dealer, aything
3. What does "Previous use Personal" mean in July 2017.
Vehicle was used for normal use, not commercial (business/rental)
4. Since 2017, there has been no further registration renewal. Is that normal? How long is registration usually valid for, and how can I find out the truth?
This is normal in ontario

Is the Carfax from dealers the same report as if I purchased it separately? I presume so.
Usually but check date on the report. Some used car dealers are shady and will provide an old, unreliable carproof.

Finally, any tips to bargain with?
Go 15% under and go from there
Thanks in advance, and have a great long weekend!
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2200 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto
Mazda's are known to have issues with rust. Not sure how much they have improved lately.