• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2019 11:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1825 posts
175 upvotes

Buying a used car with tint

1. When buying a used car with tint, is there any way to tell if it is ceramic?

2. Also the tint %, would be an educated guess, or would the dealer even have that sort of info?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
reggyDeal wrote: 1. When buying a used car with tint, is there any way to tell if it is ceramic?

2. Also the tint %, would be an educated guess, or would the dealer even have that sort of info?
You can tell the % by looking at it. 50% is light, 30% is getting dark, 20% is really dark, and below that you can't seem much. You could probably do some testing with your phone's light sensor if you really wanted to.
Feb 17, 2015
838 posts
907 upvotes
Canada
wow engineered...wish I have the same eyesight as you!
engineered wrote: You can tell the % by looking at it. 50% is light, 30% is getting dark, 20% is really dark, and below that you can't seem much. You could probably do some testing with your phone's light sensor if you really wanted to.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11470 posts
3730 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: You can tell the % by looking at it. 50% is light, 30% is getting dark, 20% is really dark, and below that you can't seem much. You could probably do some testing with your phone's light sensor if you really wanted to.
50% is nothing. Nobody getting the car tinted for 50%.
30ish % is where it starts at usually.

OP, if you want, go to Audio heaven Website, they have photos with different % of tint, you can take a look as reference.

Why is it matter anyway. unless the tint is not dark enough for your liking, otherwise, i would just leave it as it is.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1117 posts
597 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: 1. When buying a used car with tint, is there any way to tell if it is ceramic?

If it's Llumar Pinnacle series tint it's lifetime warranty transferable between owners should have a booklet that came with the tint job.

But really ceramic or not should not be a deal breaker if you're looking to buy a car
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
MP3_SKY wrote: 50% is nothing. Nobody getting the car tinted for 50%.
30ish % is where it starts at usually.

OP, if you want, go to Audio heaven Website, they have photos with different % of tint, you can take a look as reference.

Why is it matter anyway. unless the tint is not dark enough for your liking, otherwise, i would just leave it as it is.
I had my glass roof tinted 50%. That way lots of light still comes in, but it blocked 90%+ solar radiation.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15695 posts
16857 upvotes
Oakville
CuriousJack wrote: wow engineered...wish I have the same eyesight as you!
Have you ever looked at them side by side? It's not really that hard to guess within +/-5%. Those are also some of the common tint specs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1825 posts
175 upvotes
Just read ceramic deflects heat better then non-ceramic, prolonging interior.

Never had tint on my car, but I do like the darker tint.

Anyone guess what tint is on this car, which I'm looking at?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup looks like 35. 20 will be super dark. My car came with F1 pinnacle 20% and it’s dark AF. Way too dark at night time, to the point where I can’t see in dark side streets except out the windshield LOL
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1825 posts
175 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Yup looks like 35. 20 will be super dark. My car came with F1 pinnacle 20% and it’s dark AF. Way too dark at night time, to the point where I can’t see in dark side streets except out the windshield LOL
What's legal for side windows? You 20% all around, if not legal, and unwanted attention from cops?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
reggyDeal wrote: What's legal for side windows? You 20% all around, if not legal, and unwanted attention from cops?
Technically no tint is legal on the front windows. Which is why you see factory tinted vehicles with only the rear windows done.
Jun 8, 2019
73 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
Try to buy the car certified. If it is a legal tint - no problem. If it is too dark - watch out - your insurance might not pay if you have an accident as a result of your too dark tint.