Automotive

Buying a used car: Toyota Corolloa vs. Honda Civic vs. Toyota Matrix?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2016 10:47 am
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Buying a used car: Toyota Corolloa vs. Honda Civic vs. Toyota Matrix?

I am looking to buy one of these used (but open to other options! Just that people keep telling me to get a Toyota or Honda). I am not looking for fancy - I just want a car that is reliable, known to be mechanically sound (so tired of visiting the mechanic for issues with my old Nissan Sentra!), fuel efficient, inexpensive, will take me from point A to point B with fewer headaches over the years. I like the cargo space of the Matrix, but I heard it is less fuel efficient than the others?

What car would you buy? My budget is $10K max (but prefer it to be less, like under $8000? or am I dreaming?), <100,000km mileage, 2008 model being the oldest I want to consider (but I am also thinking it could be good to get a leased car that has been returned.. so usually that is 4 years or so, no?)

Also, I have never bought a car before (new or used), so what are the steps I need to take or any tips? My old car was a hand me down from my brother. Finally, I keep reading that you should have the car inspected by a mechanic before buying. How do you go about doing this? Does the dealership just let you drive off with it to your mechanic's shop??
68 replies
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I see an ad for a 2008 Toyota Camry, 90,000km for $5000. Suspect?
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
Get a 2009+ Pontiac Vibe.

The 03-08 Pontiac Vibe is fine too, just an older bodystyle.

The Pontiac vibe is a rebadged Toyota Matrix; same engine and transmission as Toyota Corolla in the Pontiac Vibe-- but with cheaper prices due to the pontiac badge on the hood.

Better styling vs. the Matrix, too. So it's a win-win situation.

A Pontiac Vibe uses Toyota parts and can be serviced at a Toyota dealership (I've seen this personally and asked the question explicitly).
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
always buy a carproof, and find a reputable mechanic by asking friends for recommendations, usually you just call them up and set an appointment to bring the car there. If a dealer wont agree to it then walk away IMO.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
blacurarl wrote: Get a 2009+ Pontiac Vibe.

The Pontiac vibe is a rebadged Toyota Matrix; same engine and transmission as Toyota Corolla in the Pontiac Vibe-- but with cheaper prices due to the pontiac badge on the hood.

A Pontiac Vibe uses Toyota parts and can be serviced at a Toyota dealership (I've seen this personally and asked the question explicitly).
Typically the case but the vibes are rarer now. As Pontiac built less of them than the matrix. The price gap has narrowed a bit. Also in part because the Vibtrix is a fairly desirable car in Canada compared to the states.

I'd vote Matrix>Corolla>public transit>civic.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Typically the case but the vibes are rarer now. As Pontiac built less of them than the matrix. The price gap has narrowed a bit. Also in part because the Vibtrix is a fairly desirable car in Canada compared to the states.

I'd vote Matrix>Corolla>public transit>civic.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Mar 30, 2008
27 posts
28 upvotes
I own both a 2003 Matrix XR 1.8 auto and a 2009 Matrix XR 2.4 auto. I can honestly say that they are the most reliable cars I have ever owned. I have driven both GM and Ford vehicles for comparison. Only maintenance on my vehicle have been oil changes, new tires and brakes. The 1.8 gets excellent fuel economy given the weight the vehicle. The 2.4 doesn't do as well but does have more power. For your price range I would suggest you look at the 2005-2008 1st generation Matrix or Vibe. Good Luck
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the tips! I am leaning towards the Matrix. I was told it is better to try and buy a newer model, hence why I am looking at 2008+.. but is this not something I should be concerned about?

Also, I got an email back from the person selling the Toyota Camry for $5000 - he said he has left the country for work and has a new vehicle there, and is trying to urgently sell this old vehicle which is why he says the price is so low. He has passed it on to a carrier who can meet with me to inspect, etc. However, the strange thing is that he seems to be in Quebec (or was in Quebec till he moved) as we have been communicating in our languages (English and French) and I have been using google translate to decode what he is saying! The car showed up under Toronto (or 7km from Toronto) though.. but perhaps that was an error when he placed the ad?

Anyway, thoughts? Suspect? Worth looking at? What do you all think of the Camry?
Jul 18, 2012
34 posts
44 upvotes
MARKHAM
helenhelen wrote: Thanks for the tips! I am leaning towards the Matrix. I was told it is better to try and buy a newer model, hence why I am looking at 2008+.. but is this not something I should be concerned about?

Also, I got an email back from the person selling the Toyota Camry for $5000 - he said he has left the country for work and has a new vehicle there, and is trying to urgently sell this old vehicle which is why he says the price is so low. He has passed it on to a carrier who can meet with me to inspect, etc. However, the strange thing is that he seems to be in Quebec (or was in Quebec till he moved) as we have been communicating in our languages (English and French) and I have been using google translate to decode what he is saying! The car showed up under Toronto (or 7km from Toronto) though.. but perhaps that was an error when he placed the ad?

Anyway, thoughts? Suspect? Worth looking at? What do you all think of the Camry?
Its a scam, dont waste your time with it
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Yeah, that "car" is a scam.

In another topic, what is your budget?
Mar 5, 2011
241 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Less than $10K, but prefer less (like $8K or less).

Yes, I am thinking it sounds like a scam. Pricing for that model goes for several thousand more and it just seems to be priced far too low, even for a quick sale.
Sep 5, 2014
555 posts
317 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I have a 2012 matrix, it's very bland but gets me from A-B. I had a Civic which was more fun to drive before but the Matrix has more room in the back for my bike and other junk.
it's just a good practical car. But don't expect to be "wowed" by anything.. including the gas mileage.
Oct 7, 2012
698 posts
586 upvotes
helenhelen wrote: Less than $10K, but prefer less (like $8K or less).

Yes, I am thinking it sounds like a scam. Pricing for that model goes for several thousand more and it just seems to be priced far too low, even for a quick sale.
It's a scam. Don't even bother responding anymore.
Nov 19, 2007
290 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
Definite scam, run away!
helenhelen wrote: Thanks for the tips! I am leaning towards the Matrix. I was told it is better to try and buy a newer model, hence why I am looking at 2008+.. but is this not something I should be concerned about?

Mar 24, 2010
958 posts
122 upvotes
blacurarl wrote: Get a 2009+ Pontiac Vibe.

I actually prefer the older gen.
It was faster, better handling, more responsive etc.

New one is bulky & slow
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
lolatyou1 wrote: I actually prefer the older gen.

New one is bulky & slow
Besides the Gen 1 XRS not really... All of them were slow as molasses. It's just by Gen 2 The XRS lost all it's ballz.
If anything the Gen 2 AWD was finally no longer a hazard to itself and others with a <9+ second 0-60 time.

Handling and responsiveness yes the Gen 1 was significantly lighter, but that meant it was a loud tin can with poor NVH.

Basically the Gen 1 was fun and still an overall good car. The Gen 2 lost all it's ballz, gained a whole bunch of weight and became a fat american hauler.
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
tebore wrote: I'd vote Matrix>Corolla>public transit>civic.
5th and 6th gen Civic Si / SiR would be just fine :) :)

Otherwise the 7th gen, 06-08, and 2012 are craptastic. 2013+ Is just mediocre-- especially compared to the 2014+ Corollas.
Mar 30, 2008
27 posts
28 upvotes
lolatyou1 wrote: I actually prefer the older gen.

New one is bulky & slow
I agree with preferring the 1st generation. 1st generation is a bit roomier inside and the fit and finish is better than the 2nd gen, imo. The 1st generation cabin noise is much louder than 2nd gen. The 2nd generation with 2.4 L camry motor is much faster than the 1.8 L. I wouldn't have bought my 2009 without the larger motor. I have a 2003 matrix as a comparison and took out a new 2013 1.8 before buying my 2009. Unfortunately Toyota has discontinued the 2.4 in the matrix and haven't really changed much in the last few years. My 2 cents anyways.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)