Automotive

Buying a used car which used to have a dog...

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2016 5:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
149 posts
21 upvotes
Brossard

Buying a used car which used to have a dog...

Hi,

I have allergy to dog's hair. Also, I'm about to buy a used car which used to have a dog going around as the hair was everywhere in the car. The care dealer said that the car wasn't washed or cleaned yet as they just have received it. He said that they will wash the car interior (floor and roof) with special shampoo. He ensured me that it won't have any hair and the product they use will eliminate any symptoms to allergy.

From your experience , is it possible?
I don't wanna keep sneezing while I'm driving :(

Thx
12 replies
Oct 14, 2012
394 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
engineer4all wrote: Hi,

I have allergy to dog's hair. Also, I'm about to buy a used car which used to have a dog going around as the hair was everywhere in the car. The care dealer said that the car wasn't washed or cleaned yet as they just have received it. He said that they will wash the car interior (floor and roof) with special shampoo. He ensured me that it won't have any hair and the product they use will eliminate any symptoms to allergy.

I don't wanna keep sneezing while I'm driving :(

Thx
If you're serious about the purchase why don't you just ask them to wash it, and then sit in it for like 30 mins with windows closed?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2602 posts
1786 upvotes
Toronto
engineer4all wrote:

Thx
Yes, it possible.

I have fostered a dog and since my last one, I have been able to clean the interior free of fur. It took a couple of cleaning but it gone. Now I don't have allergies so my experience my differ.

You should ask the dealer about getting a second cleaning just in case, if you do end up getting the car.
Jan 4, 2010
726 posts
440 upvotes
Waterloo
how about the seats? one of our current cars bought used had dog hair in it.
We are not allergic to dog hair but it was very annoying to get rid of
you can't just clean the carpet and roof only
if they had a dog that sheds a lot, the hair gets into the cracks between the console and seats
and when air flow comes in the hair gets picked up and gets in the other parts of the car
to get it all out, you gotta take the seats out and vacuum under and around it
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4638 upvotes
Montreal
I don't get it, why not just look for another car? Why spend thousands on a car that was used to house an animal you're allergic to? You may be able to get all the fur out (improbable) but the dander is impossible to get rid as it's microscopic and in the fabric. I'd look for something else.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13984 posts
8089 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: I don't get it, why not just look for another car? .
Because that would be logical and this is RFD
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2878 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Swerny wrote: Because that would be logical and this is RFD
RFD Gold right here.
Definite G.O.A.T. contention.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4326 posts
3619 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ottofly wrote: I don't get it, why not just look for another car? Why spend thousands on a car that was used to house an animal you're allergic to? You may be able to get all the fur out (improbable) but the dander is impossible to get rid as it's microscopic and in the fabric. I'd look for something else.
This. x10
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Swerny wrote: Because that would be logical and this is RFD
Reminds me of a saying my cumpare coined awhile back

RFD: Maximum lolz, minimum logic
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
Ask the dealer to get you one of these:

Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3986 posts
2998 upvotes
GTA
Not possible to get it all. I don't have allergies, bought the van from dog owner. For 10 years I owned the van, I kept finding dog hair. Dealer cleaned the whole car before purchase, but that did not help. Heater core repair - hair. Sliding door - tracks, hinges- hair everywhere. Power window track - hair inside door panels. Van was 4 years old when I got it. Off lease, one owner.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
149 posts
21 upvotes
Brossard
Hi,

Thx for your feedbacks....

I guess after reading your replies, I have changed my mind. I was between two cars, the one I told you about which has the dog hair and another one which has more mileage (30K km more).

I'm looking to buy 2013 Infiniti JX35. One has 56K km and one with 87K km, however, I wasn't comfortable about the dog hair thing.

Thx
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1722 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
nasa25 wrote: Reminds me of a saying my cumpare coined awhile back

RFD: Maximum lolz, minimum logic
Or just Really _ Dumb.