Automotive

Buying a used card from private seller

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 11:31 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 5, 2020
8 posts
2 upvotes

Buying a used card from private seller

Hi all,

I just got my license recently, I am looking for a used car from private seller in Ontario. I was wondering do we need to request safety standard certificate from seller to transfer vehicle ownership?

If seller is not willing to do that, what should I do to get the certificate? Because I understand that we only can pick the car up after register it and have a valid plate sticker.

Hope you guys can help me out here. Thank you!
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3242 posts
1798 upvotes
Mississauga
hopeneverdie wrote: Hi all,

I just got my license recently, I am looking for a used car from private seller in Ontario. I was wondering do we need to request safety standard certificate from seller to transfer vehicle ownership?

If seller is not willing to do that, what should I do to get the certificate? Because I understand that we only can pick the car up after register it and have a valid plate sticker.

Hope you guys can help me out here. Thank you!
You can buy the car with or without the Safety standard certificate but you need the Safety standard certificate to permanently register it for use on public roads.

You can try to work it into the deal that the private seller provides the certificate. If the seller is unwilling to get the certificate and you really want the car then you can buy the car and take it to a shop of your choice to get the certificate. Look for shops in your area that provide the safety certificate.
I also suggest to get the car inspected by a mechanic before making an offer so you have an idea of all the things that need to be repaired to pass the safety standard test and can negotiate further with the seller.

To register the car without a safety standard certificate you’ll need to activate your Ontario car insurance and take the UVIP to the MTO. You'll get a new plate and temporary ‘T’ sticker which allows you to drive the car on the road for 10 days which can be extended once. You can use this time to drive the car around to get repairs and the safety certificate. With the safety certificate you can then return to the MTO for a permanent sticker.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5249 posts
2791 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote: 1. I would not buy a used car privately if it is not certified.
2. I would not buy a used car privately without being inspected by my mechanic.
3. I would not buy a used car privately if the seller does not have a UVIP.
If you do the inspection first the mechanic can certify the vehicle. If the OP does not have a mechinic, CAA has a list of shops that will do a preset vehicle inspection which covers more than a safety inspection. Then for an additional fee they can issue a safety certificate.

In ON, one can get a temporary plate that lasts ~7¬10 days if the vehicle is currently plated. Check the ontario.ca website for details. I bought my last vehicle that way. It was out of town, paid a local CAA affiliated shop for the inspection, negotiated the purchase, put temp plates on it & drove it to my local mehanic for the safety. Then I purchased regular plates.

The OP will need insurance to plate it.or I think the option still exists to pay a high fee for a non-insured vehicle.

All this requires a seller that is motivated enough to bring the vehicle to a shop for the inspection. Sometimes offering them some $$ for their time is a worthy investment. Some sellers don't like to certify ahead of the sale because the certificate is only good for (30?) days. A motivated seller will have their mechanic do a preinspection first, line up a tentative sale, then certify just before closing the deal.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 17, 2015
1120 posts
1419 upvotes
Canada
Dude im not the OP Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
ROYinTO wrote: If you do the inspection first the mechanic can certify the vehicle. If the OP does not have a mechinic, CAA has a list of shops that will do a preset vehicle inspection which covers more than a safety inspection. Then for an additional fee they can issue a safety certificate.

In ON, one can get a temporary plate that lasts ~7¬10 days if the vehicle is currently plated. Check the ontario.ca website for details. I bought my last vehicle that way. It was out of town, paid a local CAA affiliated shop for the inspection, negotiated the purchase, put temp plates on it & drove it to my local mehanic for the safety. Then I purchased regular plates.

The OP will need insurance to plate it.or I think the option still exists to pay a high fee for a non-insured vehicle.

All this requires a seller that is motivated enough to bring the vehicle to a shop for the inspection. Sometimes offering them some $$ for their time is a worthy investment. Some sellers don't like to certify ahead of the sale because the certificate is only good for (30?) days. A motivated seller will have their mechanic do a preinspection first, line up a tentative sale, then certify just before closing the deal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5249 posts
2791 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote: Dude im not the OP Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Didn't say you were. Using the "@ UserName" does not function on a mobile device & multi quotes are hell. Using OP was just easier.

Also did not notice @bubuski had posted while I was composing. Good post.
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2005
929 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
I recently purchased a vehicle myself.

I contacted service ontario and I was advised that the vehicle can be driven with plates that are valid and registered instead of coming in getting a temporary plate. The reasoning is that they're trying to limit visits to service ontario. Note this is JUST for the temporary plate, you still have to perform the registration in person.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2518 posts
1737 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
ReFuGeE wrote: I recently purchased a vehicle myself.

I contacted service ontario and I was advised that the vehicle can be driven with plates that are valid and registered instead of coming in getting a temporary plate. The reasoning is that they're trying to limit visits to service ontario. Note this is JUST for the temporary plate, you still have to perform the registration in person.
Not Quite. One can only use the plates (valid & registered) on a vehicle that one no longer owns/leases.

Temporary use of plates
(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4291 posts
1375 upvotes
Brampton
rcmpvet wrote: Not Quite. One can only use the plates (valid & registered) from a vehicle that one no longer owns/leases.

Temporary use of plates
(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).
Thanks, good to know. I have 2 sets of plates from long departed vehicles and looking to buy privately now.
But are valid stickers (aside from current covid extension) also required? They are many years expired.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2518 posts
1737 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@prod Yes the stickers must still be valid as per what is said above:

"One can only use the plates (valid & registered) from a vehicle that one no longer owns/leases."
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 18, 2002
4291 posts
1375 upvotes
Brampton
rcmpvet wrote: @prod Yes the stickers must still be valid as per what is said above:

"One can only use the plates (valid & registered) from a vehicle that one no longer owns/leases."
That says plates must be valid, but having to renew stickers for temporary transport would defeat the purpose of using old plates, no?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4543 posts
4766 upvotes
GTA
I think the spirit of that law is to give car owners a bit of a window to sell their car, and use the valid plates (and sticker) to bring home a newly purchased car. From there you could either transfer the plates to the new car, or surrender them, get a refund for the unused portion of the sticker, and then be issued a new set of plates and a new sticker.

Or in the case of an "invalid" set of plates (with sentimental value or whatever) that you plan to have permanently on the new car, you would need to buy a sticker anyways. So you would get the sticker ahead of time, and use the newly validated plates to bring the new car home.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 5, 2020
8 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you guys for your advices. Good to know all.

I gonna ask the seller for car inspection and negotiate.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)