Shopping Discussion

Buying a Used Game from Futureshop? Think again....

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2012 3:43 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
doctorgeek wrote: Paying another $10 to get a working Multi-Player key is an option, yes. But Futureshop does not warn its customers about this possible pitfall of their "Used Game" inventory, and I believe they should. Without a working key, everyone seems to agree that "Battlefield 3" is incomplete...

Here's my point (But maybe I'm trying to be too logical on this whole thing):

What IF you bought a Television at Future Shop, brought it home, plugged it in... and it didn't work? It turns out that you need to pay ANOTHER 30% to get it working because a part was missing from the box. What do you do in this case?

I would argue that this analogy doesn't correctly reflect your situation. In your case the TV does not work because a part is missing. But as you say, the game runs fine, so I would argue that it is not malfunctioning.

As in the case for most used games, the redeem code/online codes have been used already. Buying a used copy of Little Big Planet 2 probably won't get you those special outfits anymore, but you would be okay with that because in that case the outfits aren't a big deal. (Though it could obviously be a big determining factor to someone else) Where would they draw the line between when it matters that the codes had been used?

Furthermore, they actually have no way to verify that the codes had been used or not. Suppose they make it their policy to ask each person who's selling a used game to them whether the special redeem codes had been used, it still doesn't guarantee that the codes are redeemable. So really, I see it that they are just selling this game like any other game that might not have any redeemable features.

Live and learn!

$35 + $10 may be almost the price of a new game, but it's still cheaper than a new game and as you say, the game runs just fine otherwise. The difference between a new game and the used game + code is probably just $10-15 bucks. The same $15 bucks that has you ranting now.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
well if you look at it like this you DO still need to pay extra to use your TV.

think about it.... you buy a tv and take it home then plug it in.... without subscribing to cable it's not going to get programming. even if you want over the air stations you still would need to buy an antenna (unless the cheap rabbit ears are included) or if you have a PS3 you might watch movies. with just about everything there is an "added" cost...

so like a used EA game you have to pay extra to enjoy all it's features.

also, i take offence to the "slumming it" crack.... i don't think it's slumming it when you buy a used game from a rfd member or any other outlet. some of us don't really want to pay upwards of $80 for a game that we may not like or play that often when we can wait and get it at a much lower cost once someone has tired of the same game and wants to recoup some of the money they spent on it. or some of us might be on a budget and don't want to screw up our finances to buy an overpriced game.
Jan 5, 2005
112 posts
129 upvotes
kmarcie wrote: Where would they draw the line between when it matters that the codes had been used?

That's a very good question. The line is getting closer and closer to Console Games requiring "License Codes" to unlock more and more functionality. Battlefield 3 is a recent title that uses unique License Codes to open up major functionality.

Of course Game Manufacturers want to do this -- they must HATE it when their games get re-sold, and they miss out on potential revenue.

Futureshop *must* start recognizing this, and making Customer aware that Used Games *could* be limited due to this fact. And that additional $$$ might need to be spent in order to fully unlock the "Used Game".

An update to their Policy, or a sticker on each game, or even a sign at the cashier to indicate that Used Games may not have valid access codes... would have been OK to me, and would have steered me away from Used Games.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
Think about it? Sounds rather condescending...

And what about my analogy about a DVD/VCR combo where FS has covered over the notice from Toshiba that the DVD portion doesn't work and it can just be used as a VCR? That's basically what is happening here.

The new one has more functionality yet FS has put their own insert over the back of the game from EA where they could have very well mentioned that online play is via a single use code.
Take a chill pill. The last store I was in was Liquidation World so I have no problem with slumming it.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
79 upvotes
It has been a long time since I bought a used game but if I did buy it used I would expect it to work online. I did not know that the implementation of s separate key to play online money grab was in effect.

When Futureshop sells it they should make it clear that the person is not buying the complete game as noted on the box (they do still say multiplayer online game don't they?).

The whole line about not being able to refund it due to copyright is a bit of bull....could'nt they take it back for $1 less?
Jan 5, 2005
112 posts
129 upvotes
stuntman wrote: It has been a long time since I bought a used game but if I did buy it used I would expect it to work online.

I have searched high and low and could not find any Futureshop "Policy" around Used Games and spent License keys. I could tell that the store Manager and Salesperson were conflicted with Futureshop's "Open Software " versus "Defective Product" versus "Exchange Policy" policies.

Perhaps the issue is on the cusp of boiling over... and lucky me, I was the first one to get stung by it?

I got pinged by Futureshop Customer Service today and asked to provide exact details. I will let you folks know what I hear....
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
NG, i apologize if the "think about it" phrase came off sounding rude... it was not mean't to be. i was simply saying that even with a tv, you still have to spend more to use it as it's intended.

lol, and yeah i guess i should ease up on the "slumming it" bit too...

to add, i was just looking at the back of the EA games i have that use cd keys for online use and it does state in smaller print that the game requires a cd key for online use or DLC content and if the game was purchased used that you will need to purchase a new code from their online store or through the consoles online store. it's there just under the games requirements/info section near the bottom.

so for future shop to place that insert over the back cover is indeed shady as they are blocking the info you need to see when buying it used so that you know if you need to spend more on a new code to get the full value of the game. i would definitely be calling them and making a case of it or just go into the store and point out this issue.

that would basically cancel out any return policy they have on used games if they are intentionally covering up that info so that you don't see it or find out after you have bought it and removed that insert, that would be illegal i'm guessing as they are not disclosing important info about the game for you to make an informed decision... then screwing you once you find out by not offering you a full refund.

i'm sure reporting that to the BBB or whomever looks into things like this would get this investigated.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7134 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
These online passes are becoming more & more common and the problem is not limited to FS. I first heard about these passes during the BlockBuster closings last year and wouldn't have known about the issue otherwise as I don't usually play games online.

I don't believe this is FS being shady though I do think it would be a good practice to forewarn buyers. This is really more of a cash grab from the game developers to put an end to the secondary used game market. I believe there has even been talking of the new Xbox having the ability to reject used games entirely.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
I agree with the above poster, that FS isn't trying to be shady here. I would speculate that the price of the game is based on how popular it is.
For example, if FS sells
0-5 games a month - Will not buy it
5-10- Buy it for 5 bucks, sell for 10
10-20 - Buy for 10, sell for 20
and 20+ - buy it for 20, sell for 30.

Obviously BF3 would fall into the top tier and would automatically be placed into the pricing range without consideration for what it is. Again this is just speculation and the numbers I used were just for example.
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
I can understand your frustration towards Futureshop but I do think that everyone should direct their anger towards the publishers (in this case EA)

I haven't been big into video games for some time but even I knew that many games require codes now and that pretty much all EA games require them to play online. I'm even following the rumor that the next gen consoles will have serial keys that limit their use to your profile/console only, thus eliminating the used game industry completely. I urge everyone who has a problem with this to contact the publishers and let them know otherwise things will just get worse from here.

Back on the topic of FS. I do believe they add those sleeves because many games are traded in without the art, or the sleeve is damaged. However, if this is not the case they should not coverup the requirements on the back.

I also agree and disagree with the fact that FS employees should warn you. This would mean every employee in the store would have to know exactly which games require codes, because many customers just grab games and walk to the front cashier (who knows the least about each department) or will walk into other departments to pay. Rarely do customers pay in the gaming department.

I also believe there is a clause in the return policy stating that open software cannot be returned.

In short, this could have happened to you at almost any store that sells used games or even buying it from someone off kijiji or online. So the problem is deeper then Futureshop tying to scam you.

It's sad that this happened, but putting the blame 100% on FS is not the best action as the publisher is equally to blame.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
when a game has a perfectly legible cover they shouldn't be using that insert, or simply don't accept the game in as trade. afaik EB won't in some cases accept games missing the case, artwork or manual which to me sounds fine as it now won't be passed onto the next customer (but we know that isn't always the case)... it also wouldn't be hard to have a chart either at the cash for the cashier or near the used games rack for a customer to look up the game and see if it needs an online code purchased as well (but we all know they wouldn't do that for fear of losing a sale). or better yet, make it so that you can only purchase games in the gaming dept and have that portion of the staff informed on things like this.

i feel that since the company (EA, activision, etc.) already received their portion of profits from the original sale they should lower the cost of buying a new code (say $5 instead of $10) in cases where it means as little as $10 - $15 between a new and used game.

some of these game companies are going to drive the gaming industry into the ground because they simply want to squeeze every penny they can out of a consumer, with the rumors of the new xbox implementing a way to not play a used game on it's console will certainly kill off it's sales since that would mean every game you play on it would have to be newly purchased and not everyone can or will want to buy a game new if they can't try it out first. i can also see this killing off the rental sector as well from gamefly to any other online rental service. if sony and nintendo follow suit then i can't see consoles lasting much longer or companies like EA quickly dying out from no support or changing their ways to survive.

it ultimately comes down to being informed. look up a game review on google, ask questions here in the gaming section or go to that games website and read up. you can't put your trust in a store employee because let's face it, they really could care less when they are making commission or minimum wage or hate the dept they are in and will tell you anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
79 upvotes
the stig wrote: ......
it ultimately comes down to being informed. look up a game review on google, ask questions here in the gaming section or go to that games website and read up. you can't put your trust in a store employee because let's face it, they really could care less when they are making commission or minimum wage or hate the dept they are in and will tell you anything.

What does this have to do with OP? Are they supposed to research their used game purchase?

It is simple. OP bought it under the given impression that they were getting a game capable of online game play. They did not get that, went to return it and were told too bad you lose.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
I too was ignorant to this code shenanigans, thankfully the young lad at EBGames or whatever the store is called now, informed me the game (EA title) wouldn't work online automatically.

saved me money. in short, buy from EB and not from FS. especially with that whole special cover FS puts on their games. someone in corporate must know about EA's policy, they should make it known to customers, if it doesn't happen, or rarely happens.

I would have strongly urged FS for a full refund because that information wasn't disclosed verbally or written anywhere on the receipt.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
the stig wrote:
i feel that since the company (EA, activision, etc.) already received their portion of profits from the original sale they should lower the cost of buying a new code (say $5 instead of $10) in cases where it means as little as $10 - $15 between a new and used game.

But the company doesn't determine the price for used games. They have no control over the difference between the price of a new/used game. So you are saying they should charge less for the redeem code for game that's been released recently (where the new game/used game price differs only slightly), but once the game costs less (where the new game/used game price differs more) they can charge more? It makes no sense that they have to monitor price drops in the used games.

All games will eventually drop in price. In a few years OP can probably get the game for 10 bucks, and even then the online code will probably still be $10 bucks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
This is EXACTLY why the code exist in the first place. Since OP (and others like him) bought the used copy instead of new, publisher wants a cut and so put some of the essential components (usually multiplayer) behind a pay-wall.

Pretty much all top-tier games have this restriction now, and it's basically there to kill the lucrative used-game market. They are ultimately to blame here. Of course FS isn't exactly innocent too if they purposely hide this fact from buyers. Ultimately the consumer loses (yet again).
There's a sucker born every minute.