Shopping Discussion

Buying a Used Game from Futureshop? Think again....

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2012 3:43 pm
Mar 7, 2010
445 posts
26 upvotes
I can understand your frustration towards Futureshop but I do think that everyone should direct their anger towards the publishers (in this case EA)

I haven't been big into video games for some time but even I knew that many games require codes now and that pretty much all EA games require them to play online. I'm even following the rumor that the next gen consoles will have serial keys that limit their use to your profile/console only, thus eliminating the used game industry completely. I urge everyone who has a problem with this to contact the publishers and let them know otherwise things will just get worse from here.

Back on the topic of FS. I do believe they add those sleeves because many games are traded in without the art, or the sleeve is damaged. However, if this is not the case they should not coverup the requirements on the back.

I also agree and disagree with the fact that FS employees should warn you. This would mean every employee in the store would have to know exactly which games require codes, because many customers just grab games and walk to the front cashier (who knows the least about each department) or will walk into other departments to pay. Rarely do customers pay in the gaming department.

I also believe there is a clause in the return policy stating that open software cannot be returned.

In short, this could have happened to you at almost any store that sells used games or even buying it from someone off kijiji or online. So the problem is deeper then Futureshop tying to scam you.

It's sad that this happened, but putting the blame 100% on FS is not the best action as the publisher is equally to blame.
Banned
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
77 upvotes
GTA
when a game has a perfectly legible cover they shouldn't be using that insert, or simply don't accept the game in as trade. afaik EB won't in some cases accept games missing the case, artwork or manual which to me sounds fine as it now won't be passed onto the next customer (but we know that isn't always the case)... it also wouldn't be hard to have a chart either at the cash for the cashier or near the used games rack for a customer to look up the game and see if it needs an online code purchased as well (but we all know they wouldn't do that for fear of losing a sale). or better yet, make it so that you can only purchase games in the gaming dept and have that portion of the staff informed on things like this.

i feel that since the company (EA, activision, etc.) already received their portion of profits from the original sale they should lower the cost of buying a new code (say $5 instead of $10) in cases where it means as little as $10 - $15 between a new and used game.

some of these game companies are going to drive the gaming industry into the ground because they simply want to squeeze every penny they can out of a consumer, with the rumors of the new xbox implementing a way to not play a used game on it's console will certainly kill off it's sales since that would mean every game you play on it would have to be newly purchased and not everyone can or will want to buy a game new if they can't try it out first. i can also see this killing off the rental sector as well from gamefly to any other online rental service. if sony and nintendo follow suit then i can't see consoles lasting much longer or companies like EA quickly dying out from no support or changing their ways to survive.

it ultimately comes down to being informed. look up a game review on google, ask questions here in the gaming section or go to that games website and read up. you can't put your trust in a store employee because let's face it, they really could care less when they are making commission or minimum wage or hate the dept they are in and will tell you anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
the stig wrote: ......
it ultimately comes down to being informed. look up a game review on google, ask questions here in the gaming section or go to that games website and read up. you can't put your trust in a store employee because let's face it, they really could care less when they are making commission or minimum wage or hate the dept they are in and will tell you anything.

What does this have to do with OP? Are they supposed to research their used game purchase?

It is simple. OP bought it under the given impression that they were getting a game capable of online game play. They did not get that, went to return it and were told too bad you lose.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2568 posts
138 upvotes
I too was ignorant to this code shenanigans, thankfully the young lad at EBGames or whatever the store is called now, informed me the game (EA title) wouldn't work online automatically.

saved me money. in short, buy from EB and not from FS. especially with that whole special cover FS puts on their games. someone in corporate must know about EA's policy, they should make it known to customers, if it doesn't happen, or rarely happens.

I would have strongly urged FS for a full refund because that information wasn't disclosed verbally or written anywhere on the receipt.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
395 upvotes
the stig wrote:
i feel that since the company (EA, activision, etc.) already received their portion of profits from the original sale they should lower the cost of buying a new code (say $5 instead of $10) in cases where it means as little as $10 - $15 between a new and used game.

But the company doesn't determine the price for used games. They have no control over the difference between the price of a new/used game. So you are saying they should charge less for the redeem code for game that's been released recently (where the new game/used game price differs only slightly), but once the game costs less (where the new game/used game price differs more) they can charge more? It makes no sense that they have to monitor price drops in the used games.

All games will eventually drop in price. In a few years OP can probably get the game for 10 bucks, and even then the online code will probably still be $10 bucks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6372 posts
1022 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
This is EXACTLY why the code exist in the first place. Since OP (and others like him) bought the used copy instead of new, publisher wants a cut and so put some of the essential components (usually multiplayer) behind a pay-wall.

Pretty much all top-tier games have this restriction now, and it's basically there to kill the lucrative used-game market. They are ultimately to blame here. Of course FS isn't exactly innocent too if they purposely hide this fact from buyers. Ultimately the consumer loses (yet again).
There's a sucker born every minute.