• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 6:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1677 posts
193 upvotes

Buying used locked phone- How hard to get unlocked

If I buy a phone that is locked to Bell and I’m on Zoomer, is it hard to get a phone unlocked from a carrier that you don’t have an account with? I have passed on a couple of good priced phone because it was locked.

Thanks for the info
5 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21114 posts
2474 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, the carrier should unlock the phone for you....even if you are not a client of the carrier.

Some carriers do put up a stink unlocking the phone. Suggest you use the online chat (if the carrier has one) to unlock the phone.

And always go to the parent carrier (don't go thru the sub-brands)...

If the carrier still refuses, go thru CCTS...

But ideally if the seller can unlock - makes it easiest!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17624 posts
7503 upvotes
Oakville
Unlocking is free, so there's *zero* reason for sellers to be selling locked phones right now IMO. It's much easier for the person using the phone on the network already, to unlock it prior to selling.
Last edited by wearysky on Jul 24th, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Sep 14, 2012
511 posts
262 upvotes
Montreal, QC
wearysky wrote: Unlocking is free, so there's *zero* reason for sellers to be selling unlocked phones right now IMO.
Don't you mean there is zero reason for sellers to sell locked phones since they can "easily" get it unlocked for free?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17624 posts
7503 upvotes
Oakville
lmcjipo wrote: Don't you mean there is zero reason for sellers to sell locked phones since they can "easily" get it unlocked for free?
Err yes, I meant locked. Lol. Updated my post :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5662 posts
1162 upvotes
Montreal
I went through the process of getting a friend's Rogers phone unlocked after she moved to another carrier.
It was easy and hassle free.
Phils