• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 10:11 pm
[OP]
Aug 1, 2016
103 posts
26 upvotes

Buying used motorcycle

Hello rfders

I am looking into getting a used motorcycle privately.

I know that there are alot of resources out in the internet about what to check when getting a used motorcycle.

But can anyone share their experience?

I guess i am in a way kinda scared to get a used motorcycle and thats why i am posting lol
Ps. I am thinking about getting a used cbr 500
25 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15122 posts
16105 upvotes
Oakville
Make sure your organ donor card is filled. Have a look on kijiji and autotrader, make sure to do due diligence like you would on a car. Good luck.
Aug 21, 2010
640 posts
259 upvotes
toronto
Thats the exact bike i bought a few years ago..also bought privately 2015 cbr r at the time it only had approx 6000 kms..seller did not allow test drives..just saw him drive the bike up the street and back...great bike for i ..as this will not kill you on insurance...funny thing , just bought a tesla and told myself when i buy the tesla, will get rid of the bike,,took the bike to get safetied,,did not need anything..and the bike has been perfect...great bike
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2717 posts
1953 upvotes
Best bet....bring someone that knows motorcycles to look with you and let them test ride it.
Look for leaks especially on the forks, check the tire condition, signs of it being downed (most beginner bikes have), and ask about mods. Exhaust is desirable to have as long as its not a garbage one.
Smash that like button!
Mar 14, 2008
530 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased my first bike off Kijiji and plan on doing the same for my second.

Bike was a honda shadow vlx 600 and at the time I just started riding, and if I remember correctly I only had my M1. Had a list of questions for the seller and he was nice enough to go through everything and provide a history of invoices.
Low km bike, lots of material left on brake pads, sprocket teeth looked good, expensive tires etc...

He tossed me the keys and said to take it around the block, however with just my M1 and only riding experience being overseas I was certain I'd trash his bike. So he drove and I hopped on back. Overall good experience and he even threw in a motorcycle jack.

Do your homework, ask questions and you'll be fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3734 posts
2622 upvotes
Toronto
Joejoejoejo wrote: Hello rfders

I am looking into getting a used motorcycle privately.

I know that there are alot of resources out in the internet about what to check when getting a used motorcycle.

But can anyone share their experience?

I guess i am in a way kinda scared to get a used motorcycle and thats why i am posting lol
Ps. I am thinking about getting a used cbr 500
The cleanliness of their garage and other vehicles speaks volumes about the type of owner, if the chain and brakes are in good condition then thats a whole lot more reassuring they care enough to take care of their stuff, than someone who lets their chain rust/wear to shit and doesn't do any maintenance until something is broken or grinding.

I've bought 7 bikes in the last 5 years...
Last edited by CoolDudeClan on Oct 9th, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Dec 16, 2008
967 posts
402 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Check your insurance premium before buying any bike.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2016
103 posts
26 upvotes
Do any of you guys know the difference between certified and safetied motorcycle? Or is it the same?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3734 posts
2622 upvotes
Toronto
Joejoejoejo wrote: Do any of you guys know the difference between certified and safetied motorcycle? Or is it the same?
Same term that people uses interchangeably, if it was in the last 36 days you can head right to the place and register it as road worthy.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
May 21, 2018
508 posts
444 upvotes
Joejoejoejo wrote: Do any of you guys know the difference between certified and safetied motorcycle? Or is it the same?
Its the same. But just because it has a safety doesn't mean the bike is in good shape. If you don't know bikes, or cars, take a friend who does with you to inspect.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
[OP]
Aug 1, 2016
103 posts
26 upvotes
AtticGoo wrote: Its the same. But just because it has a safety doesn't mean the bike is in good shape. If you don't know bikes, or cars, take a friend who does with you to inspect.
I wish i could.
I have no friends who knows about bike...
So what i do right now is watch some youtube videos about buying a used motorcycle

Kinda risky..

It would be nice to get a mechanic to be able to perform some thorough inspection while doing safety certificate for an extra cost...
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3687 posts
2513 upvotes
GTA
Maybe post the same question on GTAM forum. Some members in the past offered to go and check the bike for new riders, if in close proximity. The cost was usually x-pack of beer.
Or even post your approximate location here. Some people on RFD ride as well.
Dec 16, 2008
967 posts
402 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Joejoejoejo wrote: I wish i could.
So what i do right now is watch some youtube videos about buying a used motorcycle

Kinda risky..

It would be nice to get a mechanic to be able to perform some thorough inspection while doing safety certificate for an extra cost...
If no friend and no personal knowledge, I would buy a small (less than 300cc) new bike AFTER checking insurance.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1513 posts
1629 upvotes
GTA
Joejoejoejo wrote: I wish i could.

Kinda risky..

I've owned and bought many motorcycles in the past.

First things first - know that insuring a motorcycle in Ontario (specifically GTA) is extremely expensive - so check first before you get a heart attack. There are endless stories on www.gtamotorcycle.com's forums about people buying bikes first and then not being able to afford $3K-$4K annual premiums.

Regarding the bike:
This video covers a lot of what you need to look out for:

The main things to check without getting too advanced are - slack and condition of the chain, tires, suspension, any weird noises from the engine (knocking), check the oil level through the window.

You can tell a lot about the condition of the bike from the owner. Ask why they are selling, what they liked, what they didn't like, what kind of things they did to it. The Honda CBR500 is a bullet proof bike. Most owners don't buy these to race around and do wheelies like they do with super sports bikes.

Like anything in life - if it looks like the owner cares about cleanliness and genuinely cared for the bike, it's worth paying a little premium.

Buying your first bike can be daunting but most of the time these bikes are mechanically sound; people psych themselves out.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3687 posts
2513 upvotes
GTA
All valid points above ^ Thumbs Up Sign Plus make sure the seller has UVIP and that his legal name is on it. Look for names like "Impact" "Auto salvage" "Auction" etc listed as one of previous owners. Ontario's regulations suck for insurance write offs. Crashed bike with no front end will still have "Clean title" and can be rebuild. Bike with small dent on frame or swing arm will be classified as "Irreparable".