Wheels and Tires

Buying used rims for sedan

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 12:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto

Buying used rims for sedan

Iam planning to buy used rims for sedan as spring is fast approaching.

This will be my first time. Anything wrong with buying used ones? what to look for in them?

thx
12 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29159 posts
14913 upvotes
Toronto
you will have to see if there are any cracks in them. Have they been repaired before for damage from hitting curbs ? Do they have the right offsets ?

If you can budget a bit more $, maybe you should look at getting new ones.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: you will have to see if there are any cracks in them. Have they been repaired before for damage from hitting curbs ? Do they have the right offsets ?

If you can budget a bit more $, maybe you should look at getting new ones.
I thought about it but then I thought what is the difference really. they dont really wear and tear unless got hit on curbs in which case you can visibly see the cracks.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11632 posts
3932 upvotes
Toronto
Also, keep in mind that some cheap aftermarket rims are heavier than stock rims. Some are also weaker than others, one of the TSW rims that my bro's has before can't survive a pothole and got bended badly. It is not worth to fix it and rather buy a new set for the cost to fix one damaged rim.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
5923 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
Replaced 1 bent alloy (due to pot hole) from scrap yard. They have pictures and grade assigned, I took one with minor scratches, free delivery to shop. They took my bent rim as core i.e. as part of the price paid for scrap value.

Bought 4 compatible alloy for winters off Kijiji, for $100. Badly scratched, I only tested by rolling them on flat surface for roundness.

I'd stick with scrapyard next time.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2461 upvotes
Canuckland
Just buy new, they are not that expensive.

I've bought used in the past and I've been burned with perfectly looking wheels that were actually bent. They are not noticeable until you are up to 80km/h+
All of sudden it all starts shaking, not worth it

If you wanna go cheap, you can even buy replicas; just don't take it to a track.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 6, 2011
5923 posts
1384 upvotes
GTA
DealCanuck wrote: I've bought used in the past and I've been burned with perfectly looking wheels that were actually bent. They are not noticeable until you are up to 80km/h+
All of sudden it all starts shaking, not worth it
Wouldn't your shop detect roundness issue when balancing before putting it on your car?

For my old GM the reward/risk ratio was acceptable: Dealer asked for $800/each+tax, $100 got me 4 used and scrap yard I think $75/each.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2461 upvotes
Canuckland
LongLiveRFD wrote: Wouldn't your shop detect roundness issue when balancing before putting it on your car?

For my old GM the reward/risk ratio was acceptable: Dealer asked for $800/each+tax, $100 got me 4 used and scrap yard I think $75/each.
Yeah after you have already bought it off someone else.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2016
521 posts
497 upvotes
What size rims are you looking for? For example it'll be a lot harder and more expensive to find decent 20s than 18s. What's your price range?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
betercallsaul wrote: What size rims are you looking for? For example it'll be a lot harder and more expensive to find decent 20s than 18s. What's your price range?
215/60R16

price range is as cheap and as reliable I can get.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9598 posts
1852 upvotes
Toronto
bsobaid wrote: 215/60R16

price range is as cheap and as reliable I can get.
How sexy do you want them to be?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2835 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: How sexy do you want them to be?
grandma underpants will rock

Top