• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 1:33 pm
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes

Buying a used Volkswagen

Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing a 2018+ MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI or Golf R DSG automatic. What's everyone's experience in purchasing a used one from a reputable dealer? Anything I should look out for? Should I bother with certified pre owned or extended warranty? How are both cars on insurance premiums?

If I'm buy a GTI would most likely be a base with 40k or less for about 25-27k plus taxes

If it's a Golf R would be 50k or less for about 35-37k plus taxes.

Thank you,
53 replies
May 12, 2019
423 posts
528 upvotes
Beware of tuned vehicles. There's tons of them out there.
Sep 20, 2010
41 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Go with a Golf R, it's worth the $$$. Different car altogether.

It's typical check the Carfax, look for any paint work or issues. Spend $150 and have PPI preformed by an independent shop or another dealer especially if no warranty is present. Make sure it's a VAG specialty or VW dealer .
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
419justblaz wrote: Beware of tuned vehicles. There's tons of them out there.
Good point I'm hoping to find one and have the dealer to check if it was ever tuned by scanning the computer.
eg6ajk wrote: Go with a Golf R, it's worth the $$$. Different car altogether.

It's typical check the Carfax, look for any paint work or issues. Spend $150 and have PPI preformed by an independent shop or another dealer especially if no warranty is present. Make sure it's a VAG specialty or VW dealer .
I'm planning for buy from a VW dealer of maybe Pfaff? Preferred CPO (certified pre owned) would that cover all the grounds you're speaking about?
May 3, 2010
268 posts
106 upvotes
Brampton
Get new one. Most used vehicles are not well maintained and that is never good when it comes to Volkswagen. Unless you are buying Toyota or Honda, buy new with Volkswagen since you will have control over your vehicle regarding maintenances.
May 12, 2019
423 posts
528 upvotes
STIFanatic wrote: I'm planning for buy from a VW dealer of maybe Pfaff? Preferred CPO (certified pre owned) would that cover all the grounds you're speaking about?
A VW dealer is always a good option. Stay away from Owasco and VW Mississauga (bad stories). Within the community, VW Pickering, Oakville, Georgetown, Milton, Humberview are deemed to be the best.
Definitely go for the CPO, as its an important warranty for a used car like a Golf R (there's a small but statistically significant chance that you will use the coverage on a water pump or something small).

If I were you, I would also instead buy the Golf R with that same money. If you can afford it, get a 2018+ and don't get it in manual. The manual transmission feels like a Fisher Price toy / Logitech G27 shifter even after mods.

When you go check the car out, do the following:
1) Look in engine bay for white spots (checking for water pump leaks)
2) Check if the battery is original VW or an aftermarket Energizer one. The original batteries from the factory on these cars tend to go out. This will give an indication as to if the owner decided to do some stuff themselves or brought it to VW for everything.
3) See if:
  • Tail lights are not like the ones that come with base model Golfs.
  • Any of the plastic interior panels are not perfectly flush
  • If the car is a 2016 or 2017, check if the center console arm rest lifts up to reveal storage. (Should not be able to open if it is stock). Golf R Only.
  • Check if there is a spare tire in the trunk. Golf Rs do not come with one, so if there is one, that means that this person was open to doing modifications (not a red flag, but a yellow one). Golf R Only.
  • If the passenger side mirror dips while reversing, its been coded.
  • If the gauges do a sweep on startup, its been coded (physical gauges only)
  • When you put the climate control in automatic, if it shows what your fan level is, its been coded
  • Comfort blink on the turn signals should only blink 3 times before turning off
  • If you can open and close the windows from the key fob (hold lock to roll up, unlock to roll down), its been coded
I think I covered all the non-obvious telltale signs of a Golf R that isn't "virgin" / not driven by a single mom.
Aug 6, 2017
711 posts
1186 upvotes
Used car prices on Golf Rs are crazy high and there’s not a lot of good ones to choose from on autotrader right now unless you’re willing to pay over $40k.

For a MK7.5 GTI, go for a MY2019 since it will have the 7spd DSG instead of 6spd in the MY2018.
Oct 19, 2008
215 posts
233 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
STIFanatic wrote: or extended warranty?
First VW?
Never own a VW without a warranty.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
MalikBrother wrote: Get new one. Most used vehicles are not well maintained and that is never good when it comes to Volkswagen. Unless you are buying Toyota or Honda, buy new with Volkswagen since you will have control over your vehicle regarding maintenances.
That's not true at all... doing your research and knowing what what to expect is an important factor. Every car I've bought has been used

419justblaz wrote: A VW dealer is always a good option. Stay away from Owasco and VW Mississauga (bad stories). Within the community, VW Pickering, Oakville, Georgetown, Milton, Humberview are deemed to be the best.
Definitely go for the CPO, as its an important warranty for a used car like a Golf R (there's a small but statistically significant chance that you will use the coverage on a water pump or something small).

If I were you, I would also instead buy the Golf R with that same money. If you can afford it, get a 2018+ and don't get it in manual. The manual transmission feels like a Fisher Price toy / Logitech G27 shifter even after mods.

When you go check the car out, do the following:
1) Look in engine bay for white spots (checking for water pump leaks)
2) Check if the battery is original VW or an aftermarket Energizer one. The original batteries from the factory on these cars tend to go out. This will give an indication as to if the owner decided to do some stuff themselves or brought it to VW for everything.
3) See if:
  • Tail lights are not like the ones that come with base model Golfs.
  • Any of the plastic interior panels are not perfectly flush
  • If the car is a 2016 or 2017, check if the center console arm rest lifts up to reveal storage. (Should not be able to open if it is stock). Golf R Only.
  • Check if there is a spare tire in the trunk. Golf Rs do not come with one, so if there is one, that means that this person was open to doing modifications (not a red flag, but a yellow one). Golf R Only.
  • If the passenger side mirror dips while reversing, its been coded.
  • If the gauges do a sweep on startup, its been coded (physical gauges only)
  • When you put the climate control in automatic, if it shows what your fan level is, its been coded
  • Comfort blink on the turn signals should only blink 3 times before turning off
  • If you can open and close the windows from the key fob (hold lock to roll up, unlock to roll down), its been coded
I think I covered all the non-obvious telltale signs of a Golf R that isn't "virgin" / not driven by a single mom.
Awesome very useful tips thank you! When you mean "coded" you are referring it a tune correct? So there's actually quote a few things to look out for.

I also heard dealers can scan the ECU to see if its been tuned? Something called "TD1"?

I'm definitely looking for a 2018+ certified pre owned from Volkswagen with low mileage
Kingsmen17 wrote: Used car prices on Golf Rs are crazy high and there’s not a lot of good ones to choose from on autotrader right now unless you’re willing to pay over $40k.

For a MK7.5 GTI, go for a MY2019 since it will have the 7spd DSG instead of 6spd in the MY2018.
This is true, the Golf R seems to be holding its value very well. I saw a few good ones on Autotrader 2018+ with 40k kms for around 36-38k but those didn't last long. Hoping i can negotiate down to 34k or even 35k.

For 2018 and 2019 GTI is the only different the 7 speed dsg? I was specifically looking for 2018+ because they come standard with bigger golf r brakes and electronic controlled LSD with 220hp now.
Dec 11, 2011
366 posts
483 upvotes
CALEDON
STIFanatic wrote: Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing a 2018+ MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI or Golf R DSG automatic. What's everyone's experience in purchasing a used one from a reputable dealer? Anything I should look out for? Should I bother with certified pre owned or extended warranty? How are both cars on insurance premiums?

If I'm buy a GTI would most likely be a base with 40k or less for about 25-27k plus taxes

If it's a Golf R would be 50k or less for about 35-37k plus taxes.

Thank you,
Get them to plug your car into the computers and make sure that it wasn't tuned.

Get a clear report indicating that the car (VIN) isn't flagged a TD1 and perhaps a written statement.

If you don't know what TD1 is, google it.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
sik20fan wrote: Get them to plug your car into the computers and make sure that it wasn't tuned.

Get a clear report indicating that the car (VIN) isn't flagged a TD1 and perhaps a written statement.

If you don't know what TD1 is, google it.
Ok perfect this was what i was looking for. I've done a bit of research on TD1 and ask dealers to provide this report or no deal
Nov 21, 2017
85 posts
77 upvotes
I purchased a 2016 Jetta TSI from a Dilawri VW dealer which is very reputable. I declined all extended warranties. I am not personally a fan of any extended warranty for cars. A lot of them are third party, and they will do anything in their power to not honor the warranty, sort of like insurance companies. I have been happy with my car so far. The CEL came on recently for a small evap leak, so I am not very concerned. It is either a gas cap issue, or a purge valve issue. Both very cheap and easy fixes! Good luck with your new car.
Dec 11, 2011
366 posts
483 upvotes
CALEDON
STIFanatic wrote: Ok perfect this was what i was looking for. I've done a bit of research on TD1 and ask dealers to provide this report or no deal
Good luck, the MK7.5R is an amazing car.

Even better when tuned hahahaha
May 12, 2019
423 posts
528 upvotes
STIFanatic wrote: Awesome very useful tips thank you! When you mean "coded" you are referring it a tune correct? So there's actually quote a few things to look out for.

I also heard dealers can scan the ECU to see if its been tuned? Something called "TD1"?

For 2018 and 2019 GTI is the only different the 7 speed dsg? I was specifically looking for 2018+ because they come standard with bigger golf r brakes and electronic controlled LSD with 220hp now.
Your question about coding:

Volkswagens and other German cars have more advanced modules than Japanese cars. For instance, Japanese cars have static body control modules that only do what they were wired from the factory to do. When you hit unlock on the keyfob, the BCM sends electricity through the printed circuit board to a pin. That pin is connected to however many door locks are on the car and unlocks all the doors (for example). This instruction is set physically set from the factory. These modules on German cars are programmable. They have actual CPUs in each one that you can program to send different types of signals to different wires. For instance, you can technically program your front fog light to come on with a window switch (for example) at 50% brightness or program your BCM to not show the seatbelt warning light/not play the seatbelt warning chime.

It is possible for the average Joe to do this programming from their laptop/phone via software such as VCDS, and therefore generally people who are keen on modding their cars will generally make software tweaks like these.

Your question on TD1:
TD1 flags are only identified if the dealer does a full scan on the car and communicates those results to VW servers in Germany. There have been stories where CPOs were TD1'd.

Your question about DSG:
I think the other poster might be incorrect. I believe all facelift models come with the 7 speed DSG (2018 and newer).
Aug 6, 2017
711 posts
1186 upvotes
419justblaz wrote:
Your question about DSG:
I think the other poster might be incorrect. I believe all facelift models come with the 7 speed DSG (2018 and newer).
No you’re incorrect.

2018 MK7.5 GTI: 6spd DSG
2019+ MK7.5 GTI: 7spd DSG
2018+ MK7.5 Golf R: 7spd DSG

http://owascovolkswagen.ca/wp-content/u ... en-GTI.pdf

https://www.vw.ca/idhub/content/dam/one ... olfGTI.pdf
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22289 posts
3573 upvotes
Toronto
if you are keeping the VW for a long time (i.e. 10+ years), I would get rustproofing annually.....

Starting from 2017, VWs only have 7yr rust corrosion warranty vs previously 12yr. Interestingly enough, anecdotally 8-10yrs is when the rust starts getting bad....

Darn VWs have some bad rust problems if you don't maintain some form of prevention IMO....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
419justblaz wrote: Your question about coding:

Volkswagens and other German cars have more advanced modules than Japanese cars. For instance, Japanese cars have static body control modules that only do what they were wired from the factory to do. When you hit unlock on the keyfob, the BCM sends electricity through the printed circuit board to a pin. That pin is connected to however many door locks are on the car and unlocks all the doors (for example). This instruction is set physically set from the factory. These modules on German cars are programmable. They have actual CPUs in each one that you can program to send different types of signals to different wires. For instance, you can technically program your front fog light to come on with a window switch (for example) at 50% brightness or program your BCM to not show the seatbelt warning light/not play the seatbelt warning chime.

It is possible for the average Joe to do this programming from their laptop/phone via software such as VCDS, and therefore generally people who are keen on modding their cars will generally make software tweaks like these.

Your question on TD1:
TD1 flags are only identified if the dealer does a full scan on the car and communicates those results to VW servers in Germany. There have been stories where CPOs were TD1'd.

Your question about DSG:
Thanks! So its basically a computer on wheels with all that programming. This is why i prefer Japanese car's but honestly I'm ready to try something else and give it a shot.
Kingsmen17 wrote: No you’re incorrect.

2018 MK7.5 GTI: 6spd DSG
2019+ MK7.5 GTI: 7spd DSG
2018+ MK7.5 Golf R: 7spd DSG

http://owascovolkswagen.ca/wp-content/u ... en-GTI.pdf

https://www.vw.ca/idhub/content/dam/one ... olfGTI.pdf
Thanks for confirming this
ji2o0k wrote: if you are keeping the VW for a long time (i.e. 10+ years), I would get rustproofing annually.....

Starting from 2017, VWs only have 7yr rust corrosion warranty vs previously 12yr. Interestingly enough, anecdotally 8-10yrs is when the rust starts getting bad....

Darn VWs have some bad rust problems if you don't maintain some form of prevention IMO....
I have no problems with getting it rustproof as i do with all my cars. But this would be my first car that includes warranty. I'm thinking it would void the warranty in these cars?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14999 posts
9400 upvotes
Toronto
nice car op, i would have looked at one but not a fan of the egg hatch. unless it's the rabbit gti in blue with plaid interior, that's a different story. vw seats are lovely.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22289 posts
3573 upvotes
Toronto
STIFanatic wrote: I have no problems with getting it rustproof as i do with all my cars. But this would be my first car that includes warranty. I'm thinking it would void the warranty in these cars?
no rustproofing doesn't void your warranty.......

https://www.krown.com/en/faq/

Previous RFD thread discussing this topic
will-krown-rustproofing-void-dealership ... y-1030029/

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7127 posts
4027 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd say definitely get the Golf R if you can afford it. I test drove a MK7 GTI and the R (and ended up buying the R) and the difference was very noticeable