Automotive

Buying a used Volkswagen

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 1:33 pm
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: no rustproofing doesn't void your warranty.......

https://www.krown.com/en/faq/

Previous RFD thread discussing this topic
will-krown-rustproofing-void-dealership ... y-1030029/
Problem is Krown claims one thing but VW can claim another if they want to deny your warranty. I'll have to look into this further
notenoughsleep wrote: I'd say definitely get the Golf R if you can afford it. I test drove a MK7 GTI and the R (and ended up buying the R) and the difference was very noticeable
How long have you had yours and any reliability issues you've run into? It's slim pickings right now in the market but i don't mind waiting for the right one to come a long.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7320 posts
4235 upvotes
Vancouver
STIFanatic wrote: Problem is Krown claims one thing but VW can claim another if they want to deny your warranty. I'll have to look into this further

How long have you had yours and any reliability issues you've run into? It's slim pickings right now in the market but i don't mind waiting for the right one to come a long.
I had mine for 4 years (2016-2020). The only problem I had was the adaptive headlights failed, but it was replaced under warranty.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: I had mine for 4 years (2016-2020). The only problem I had was the adaptive headlights failed, but it was replaced under warranty.
Thank you. Can i ask why you sold it?

Also want to ask everyone - is having it CPO (certified pre owned from VW) that important? More than half these listings are from other dealers like Audi and Pfaff which only comes safety certified but not CPO.

Should I even bother and waste my time on those or skip them?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7320 posts
4235 upvotes
Vancouver
STIFanatic wrote: Thank you. Can i ask why you sold it?

Also want to ask everyone - is having it CPO (certified pre owned from VW) that important? More than half these listings are from other dealers like Audi and Pfaff which only comes safety certified but not CPO.

Should I even bother and waste my time on those or skip them?
I traded it in for a new 2019 Audi RS3 that I got for a pretty good deal ($10k off) due to buying at the height of the pandemic. Honestly, I regret trading it in as my Golf R was manual transmission and the RS3 even though is fast, is boring to drive as an automatic. My Golf R was low km too, I think it was only 29k km when I traded it in.
Jan 28, 2017
964 posts
1005 upvotes
STIFanatic wrote: Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing a 2018+ MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI or Golf R DSG automatic. What's everyone's experience in purchasing a used one from a reputable dealer? Anything I should look out for? Should I bother with certified pre owned or extended warranty? How are both cars on insurance premiums?

If I'm buy a GTI would most likely be a base with 40k or less for about 25-27k plus taxes

If it's a Golf R would be 50k or less for about 35-37k plus taxes.

Thank you,
Bought a new 2019 GTI base with DSG last summer. I paid slightly above your price range for a new car and cross shopped at most of the dealerships mentioned on here but ended up buying from another one. Car is awesome, fun to drive and I think base GTI offers a great price/features offering. Couple things to note:

-Base GTI's come with shitty halogens. I changed mine out to replica HID's - it looks and functions much better
-Insurance is reasonably priced for what would be considered as a cheap-ish enthusiast car and I live in an area full of bad drivers (Markham). My previous car was a relatively new Subaru Crosstrek and my GTI insurance came in lower than the Subie. The R for me at least would've been marginally more but nothing too crazy. Given your username, I'm guessing you are coming from a WRX/STI? lol
-If you can afford the extra cash, definitely keep your options open for an R. It would've been a nice upgrade, but I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time. Also I just wanted a cheap fun daily driver last year, so the base GTI fit the criteria mostly.
Dec 14, 2012
108 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
I’ve never had rust issues with my vag vehicles. Owned since 2003. Vag paint and metal is pretty damn good, proper maintenance of paint chips goes a long way. Current vehicle is 10 years old with zero signs of rust.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: I traded it in for a new 2019 Audi RS3 that I got for a pretty good deal ($10k off) due to buying at the height of the pandemic. Honestly, I regret trading it in as my Golf R was manual transmission and the RS3 even though is fast, is boring to drive as an automatic. My Golf R was low km too, I think it was only 29k km when I traded it in.
Can't go wrong with RS3 either that's an awesome car. Glad to hear you did enjoy the Golf R though... i cant seem to decide. Will have to test drive and see
bear20 wrote: Bought a new 2019 GTI base with DSG last summer. I paid slightly above your price range for a new car and cross shopped at most of the dealerships mentioned on here but ended up buying from another one. Car is awesome, fun to drive and I think base GTI offers a great price/features offering. Couple things to note:

-Base GTI's come with shitty halogens. I changed mine out to replica HID's - it looks and functions much better
-Insurance is reasonably priced for what would be considered as a cheap-ish enthusiast car and I live in an area full of bad drivers (Markham). My previous car was a relatively new Subaru Crosstrek and my GTI insurance came in lower than the Subie. The R for me at least would've been marginally more but nothing too crazy. Given your username, I'm guessing you are coming from a WRX/STI? lol
-If you can afford the extra cash, definitely keep your options open for an R. It would've been a nice upgrade, but I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time. Also I just wanted a cheap fun daily driver last year, so the base GTI fit the criteria mostly.
I made this account when I was in high school but never actually got around to owning one hahaha. The Golf R is significantly more for sure... i just don't to have buyers remorse down the road and want to upgrade from GTI to R. How old are you and what are you paying for insurance premium on a GTI?
ssaver16 wrote: I’ve never had rust issues with my vag vehicles. Owned since 2003. Vag paint and metal is pretty damn good, proper maintenance of paint chips goes a long way. Current vehicle is 10 years old with zero signs of rust.
Good to hear, i heard VW is very good when it comes to rust
Nov 8, 2010
79 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I got a 2018 GTI Autobahn last September CPO from Humberview VW and have been quite happy with it. I really wanted to try the R as well, but I just didn't have the cash, at that time (pretty sure the same now) the difference was about $10k. Dealers are likely more willing to further negotiate on GTIs as well, I was able to get it down a bit to where I was extremely happy.

Avoid Richmond Hill VW, I contacted them about an R and GTI and they were verrrry stingy about test driving them. Basically I had to agree to the price before they would even let me touch either car. Ended up walking out the door. As opposed to Humberview, the salesperson was literally waiting for me to arrive, gave me the keys and off I went with the test drive, no questions asked. Also, Richmond Hill offered me a laughable price for my trade in (was a 2011 Golf), Humberview's offer was about 3x higher.
Jan 28, 2017
964 posts
1005 upvotes
STIFanatic wrote: I made this account when I was in high school but never actually got around to owning one hahaha. The Golf R is significantly more for sure... i just don't to have buyers remorse down the road and want to upgrade from GTI to R. How old are you and what are you paying for insurance premium on a GTI?
Im around 30, single male, no accidents/tickets. My insurance is 150/month for the GTI - seemed reasonable to me (maybe I overpaying? lol), but there were couple of accidents in my postal code (retards doing illegal uturns, dont know what a blind spot is, traffic light = car ornaments) which likely spiked up everyone's insurance cause of risk profile and shitty drivers. I don't drive much, less than 10k normally, but I racked up about 6k last summer/fall doing socially distanced summer cruises up to Muskoka and kawarthas.
Jan 28, 2017
964 posts
1005 upvotes
AC202 wrote: I got a 2018 GTI Autobahn last September CPO from Humberview VW and have been quite happy with it. I really wanted to try the R as well, but I just didn't have the cash, at that time (pretty sure the same now) the difference was about $10k. Dealers are likely more willing to further negotiate on GTIs as well, I was able to get it down a bit to where I was extremely happy.

Avoid Richmond Hill VW, I contacted them about an R and GTI and they were verrrry stingy about test driving them. Basically I had to agree to the price before they would even let me touch either car. Ended up walking out the door. As opposed to Humberview, the salesperson was literally waiting for me to arrive, gave me the keys and off I went with the test drive, no questions asked. Also, Richmond Hill offered me a laughable price for my trade in (was a 2011 Golf), Humberview's offer was about 3x higher.
Really? RH VW was the first dealer that got back to me on OTR pricing (cold emailed the sales manager). It was more competitive than Martin Grove or Pfaff, but I shopped that RH's number around to 3 other dealers and ultimately bought from Town and Country.
This was for a new GTI, so maybe email blasting is easier than for used buys.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
AC202 wrote: I got a 2018 GTI Autobahn last September CPO from Humberview VW and have been quite happy with it. I really wanted to try the R as well, but I just didn't have the cash, at that time (pretty sure the same now) the difference was about $10k. Dealers are likely more willing to further negotiate on GTIs as well, I was able to get it down a bit to where I was extremely happy.

I would like an Autobahn but they are 5k higher ($28,000+) than the base with more kms doesn't feel like I'm getting my worth for it. All I really wanted was the electronic limited slip diff, bigger brakes, sunroof, and nicer rims. So i will give up the sunroof and wheels on the GTI base.

Did you ever ended getting to test drive a R? I will need to test drive one before i make up my mind. Maybe it'll be underwhelming and GTI will be more than enough? Who knows

Also how much were you able to get off from the list price roughly? The used market seems high right now
bear20 wrote:
Im around 30, single male, no accidents/tickets. My insurance is 150/month for the GTI - seemed reasonable to me (maybe I overpaying? lol), but there were couple of accidents in my postal code (retards doing illegal uturns, dont know what a blind spot is, traffic light = car ornaments) which likely spiked up everyone's insurance cause of risk profile and shitty drivers. I don't drive much, less than 10k normally, but I racked up about 6k last summer/fall doing socially distanced summer cruises up to Muskoka and kawarthas.
Same age $150 sounds about right. Guess I'll know what to expect when i call in. Thanks!
bear20 wrote:
Really? RH VW was the first dealer that got back to me on OTR pricing (cold emailed the sales manager). It was more competitive than Martin Grove or Pfaff, but I shopped that RH's number around to 3 other dealers and ultimately bought from Town and Country.
This was for a new GTI, so maybe email blasting is easier than for used buys.
Did you buy the base or autobahn?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9135 posts
7170 upvotes
Kitchener
ohnabatko wrote: You guys mean Voltswagen?
SEC currently going after them for this March "joke".
Jan 28, 2017
964 posts
1005 upvotes
Brand new base with DSG.

I know its subjective and some here will flame me on it, but I didn't think its worth extra 5K for Autobahn - only features I really wanted were the upgraded headlights and 18' wheels (though I wasn't crazy for the Milton wheel design). And that stuff I can upgrade aftermarket. Personally, I think if you are willing to spend money on an Autobahn, I'd really try to stretch or consider an R for the awd and bigger engine. I haven't followed the used market lately, so not sure what the incremental price premium is for each trim/model.

For me, I just wanted the upgraded powertrain, hatchback usability and some standard comfort features that you'd otherwise get from a mid-trim compact car. Base trim provides most of that at a very compelling price.

What are you driving now? From driving a Corolla as my first car, to a Subaru and now to a GTI, the increased performance is pretty noticeable
STIFanatic wrote: I would like an Autobahn but they are 5k higher ($28,000+) than the base with more kms doesn't feel like I'm getting my worth for it. All I really wanted was the electronic limited slip diff, bigger brakes, sunroof, and nicer rims. So i will give up the sunroof and wheels on the GTI base.

Did you ever ended getting to test drive a R? I will need to test drive one before i make up my mind. Maybe it'll be underwhelming and GTI will be more than enough? Who knows

Also how much were you able to get off from the list price roughly? The used market seems high right now

Same age $150 sounds about right. Guess I'll know what to expect when i call in. Thanks!

Did you buy the base or autobahn?
Jan 28, 2017
964 posts
1005 upvotes
sickcars wrote: If interested I can get you into contact with a manager at Milton VW, I have sent many RFD users there and many get good deals and buy the car. They currently from what I can see have 2 Golf R's for sale.

https://www.miltonvw.com/en/inventory/u ... o/18532863

https://www.miltonvw.com/en/inventory/u ... o/18555057
The black one looks modded (exhaust and paddle shifters) and has accident damage.

Second white one looks much better shape imo though you would need to see it physically.
Aug 6, 2017
712 posts
1193 upvotes
bear20 wrote: Brand new base with DSG.

I know its subjective and some here will flame me on it, but I didn't think its worth extra 5K for Autobahn - only features I really wanted were the upgraded headlights and 18' wheels (though I wasn't crazy for the Milton wheel design). And that stuff I can upgrade aftermarket. Personally, I think if you are willing to spend money on an Autobahn, I'd really try to stretch or consider an R for the awd and bigger engine. I haven't followed the used market lately, so not sure what the incremental price premium is for each trim/model.

For me, I just wanted the upgraded powertrain, hatchback usability and some standard comfort features that you'd otherwise get from a mid-trim compact car. Base trim provides most of that at a very compelling price.

What are you driving now? From driving a Corolla as my first car, to a Subaru and now to a GTI, the increased performance is pretty noticeable
Agreed. I would have gone for the base model but I didn't in the end. I think the Rabbit GTI is the sweet spot. It's too bad it was a limited production run.
Imho, go for Base GTI or Golf R.
Jan 28, 2017
964 posts
1005 upvotes
Kingsmen17 wrote: Agreed. I would have gone for the base model but I didn't in the end. I think the Rabbit GTI is the sweet spot. It's too bad it was a limited production run.
1000%. If there were a new cornflower Rabbit model available that time, I would've gone for it in a heartbeat.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11924 posts
3579 upvotes
Ontario
True, I did not even look at the photos, but possible it was tuned in the past.
bear20 wrote: The black one looks modded (exhaust and paddle shifters) and has accident damage.

Second white one looks much better shape imo though you would need to see it physically.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
sickcars wrote: If interested I can get you into contact with a manager at Milton VW, I have sent many RFD users there and many get good deals and buy the car. They currently from what I can see have 2 Golf R's for sale.

https://www.miltonvw.com/en/inventory/u ... o/18532863

https://www.miltonvw.com/en/inventory/u ... o/18555057
The black one looks like its been modded and the white one seems overpriced for the kms. I've seen them with around 40k kms for $36,000-$37,000 CPO clean record a couple weeks ago.
bear20 wrote: Brand new base with DSG.

Exact same thought process. 5k is a lot more over the base and i feel like i could get the Golf R for a little more after that. I'm driving a 2011 civic si currently. Tons of fun and top end power but looking for something more mature and easier to live with day to day.
Kingsmen17 wrote:
Agreed. I would have gone for the base model but I didn't in the end. I think the Rabbit GTI is the sweet spot. It's too bad it was a limited production run.
What did you end up with?