• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2021 1:33 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12108 posts
3716 upvotes
Ontario
Prices can always be negotiated
STIFanatic wrote: The black one looks like its been modded and the white one seems overpriced for the kms. I've seen them with around 40k kms for $36,000-$37,000 CPO clean record a couple weeks ago.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
181 posts
167 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Prices can always be negotiated
That is true. Just when i see it listed for that high how much can i realistically get off? $3000-$4000? But yes when I am ready I will definitely shoot them an email or call regardless
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12108 posts
3716 upvotes
Ontario
It all depends on what they paid for the car. I know a few years ago I managed to get around $6k off a used car so who knows. But this one may be priced high because its in very good condition. But who knows, you will need to visit multiple dealers when you are ready.
STIFanatic wrote: That is true. Just when i see it listed for that high how much can i realistically get off? $3000-$4000? But yes when I am ready I will definitely shoot them an email or call regardless
Jan 28, 2017
997 posts
1056 upvotes
Thats true and problematic for used car purchases. Need to hit up each car yourself and do the legwork. Some dealers do "market pricing" so may not have much negotiation room, but who knows.

@STIFanatic perhaps join Club Wolfsburg on facebook? Its the main GTA VAG group (mostly GTI/R Owners), sometimes there are private sellers on there and you can get a good condition model.

STIFanatic wrote: That is true. Just when i see it listed for that high how much can i realistically get off? $3000-$4000? But yes when I am ready I will definitely shoot them an email or call regardless
sickcars wrote: It all depends on what they paid for the car. I know a few years ago I managed to get around $6k off a used car so who knows. But this one may be priced high because its in very good condition. But who knows, you will need to visit multiple dealers when you are ready.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
181 posts
167 upvotes
bear20 wrote: Thats true and problematic for used car purchases. Need to hit up each car yourself and do the legwork. Some dealers do "market pricing" so may not have much negotiation room, but who knows.

@STIFanatic perhaps join Club Wolfsburg on facebook? Its the main GTA VAG group (mostly GTI/R Owners), sometimes there are private sellers on there and you can get a good condition model.
I did Smiling Face With Open Mouth lurking and trying to take in as much info as i can before i start hitting up dealers.

On a good note i just checked with my insurance company. Price difference between my current car, GTI, Golf R are all about the same. +/- $10 between the 3 cars
Nov 8, 2010
81 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
bear20 wrote:
Really? RH VW was the first dealer that got back to me on OTR pricing (cold emailed the sales manager). It was more competitive than Martin Grove or Pfaff, but I shopped that RH's number around to 3 other dealers and ultimately bought from Town and Country.
This was for a new GTI, so maybe email blasting is easier than for used buys.
I guess that's the difference, just a salesperson vs straight to the sales manager. And also the fact the guy wouldn't let me touch the cars without agreeing on a price really turned me off, I didn't even really want to discuss much afterwards anyways.
STIFanatic wrote: I would like an Autobahn but they are 5k higher ($28,000+) than the base with more kms doesn't feel like I'm getting my worth for it. All I really wanted was the electronic limited slip diff, bigger brakes, sunroof, and nicer rims. So i will give up the sunroof and wheels on the GTI base.

Did you ever ended getting to test drive a R? I will need to test drive one before i make up my mind. Maybe it'll be underwhelming and GTI will be more than enough? Who knows

Also how much were you able to get off from the list price roughly? The used market seems high right now
As far as I recall, Humberview didn't have a CPO Golf R at the time, so didn't end up test driving one. And I knew it was well out of my price range so I didn't want to try it, end up loving it, but get a GTI and having remorse lol. Also I think at the time, the Autobahn I chose had the cleanest record compared to what was out there, including the Base. Didn't want the headache of dealing with something that had a bad record, just less stress for me. In your situation, test drive both if you know you can afford the R as well, but don't count out the GTI, in the end it's personal preference. Several people have told me that they've missed their old GTI after upgrading to the R, they felt the GTI was more nimble and preferred the much lighter car since the R's AWD system makes it quite heavy.

If you can manage to find a Rabbit, that is 100% the sweet spot. And if one exists, you'd have to act quickly, they do NOT last long lol.

I got a couple K off the list price I believe, and this is already on top of the benefit of not having to pay the fleet/documentation fees that you'd have when getting a new car. Plus the IMO-reasonable trade-in offer they gave me, I was quite happy with the purchase price.
May 12, 2019
428 posts
532 upvotes

Don't even touch the black one. You're paying $40k for a car. Be patient and get the one you really want instead. Last thing you want is remorse on a big ticket purchase.

Just like dating - plenty of more fish in the sea...
Sep 29, 2015
439 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure how I came across this thread, but just traded in my white 2018 base GTI to Pfaff if anyone is looking for a low mileage car. I imagine it will be CPO and available for sale soon.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
181 posts
167 upvotes
419justblaz wrote: Don't even touch the black one. You're paying $40k for a car. Be patient and get the one you really want instead. Last thing you want is remorse on a big ticket purchase.

Just like dating - plenty of more fish in the sea...
Yeah for sure t doesn't even look appealing and priced even higher than stock clean ones.
diggidydave wrote: Not sure how I came across this thread, but just traded in my white 2018 base GTI to Pfaff if anyone is looking for a low mileage car. I imagine it will be CPO and available for sale soon.
Pfaff newmarket? More details if possible lol
Sep 29, 2015
439 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto, ON
STIFanatic wrote: Yeah for sure t doesn't even look appealing and priced even higher than stock clean ones.

Pfaff newmarket? More details if possible lol
Yep. ~24K km, no accidents / scratches to speak of, stored in garage. Base model, DSG, no tech add ons. All service done @ VW. If it pops up in their CPO inventory that should be enough to identify it.
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
181 posts
167 upvotes
Just wanted to update this thread.

Ended up getting the GTI MK7.5 Autobahn with DAP over the Golf R.

Test drove both and the Golf R was amazing but when it came down to talking numbers the Golf R was almost 12k higher than the GTI with the same mileage for a 2018, just couldn't do it. Even if i could knock it down 3-4k it's still quite a difference. The R is no doubt faster and more planted but not by a significant margin where i would throw in the extra cash.

If money was no objective then Golf R for sure.
Nov 8, 2010
81 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
STIFanatic wrote: Just wanted to update this thread.

Ended up getting the GTI MK7.5 Autobahn with DAP over the Golf R.

Test drove both and the Golf R was amazing but when it came down to talking numbers the Golf R was almost 12k higher than the GTI with the same mileage for a 2018, just couldn't do it. Even if i could knock it down 3-4k it's still quite a difference. The R is no doubt faster and more planted but not by a significant margin where i would throw in the extra cash.

If money was no objective then Golf R for sure.
Sweet! Helps justify my own GTI over R decision as well. No regrets! :)
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
181 posts
167 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: congrats!!!

now go & Krown rustproof that bad boy (without drilling holes)!!!
Thanks man! I want to get it rustproof i do with with all my cars but i have no idea about these german cars. Do i need to worry about my warranty?

AC202 wrote: Sweet! Helps justify my own GTI over R decision as well. No regrets! :)
Glad to hear! haha