• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2022 5:05 pm
Tags:
Apr 23, 2014
991 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Buying used vs new (GLE/X5/Velar)

In the market for the three and I don't know if I should buy used or new. The prices are very close.

Example, GLE450 at 80k km for 80000 vs new GLE 350 at 96k. The engine difference is like 10k. So really only $36k off for 80k km.

Also, can I buy from Vancouver even tho albertan resident? I see they have more inventory, but then they also charge PST.

I can pick up and drive to AB if there's some PST savings, AB only has 5% gst.

Planning to sell my tesla since i am WFH and don't drive as much. Thought of getting something like Rav4 or other SUV but long wait times.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You lost me at trading in the Tesla. With the ICE vehicles even if you don't drive much you will still have to do regular maintenance such as oil changes. With the Tesla it's almost zero maintenance and it's actually a great car to keep around IMO.
Nov 23, 2014
192 posts
633 upvotes
Richmond, BC
The **** am I reading?

You're cross shopping a GLE X5 and a Velar but the reason you don't want a rav4 is because of long wait time?
Feb 26, 2019
802 posts
1342 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: You lost me at trading in the Tesla. With the ICE vehicles even if you don't drive much you will still have to do regular maintenance such as oil changes. With the Tesla it's almost zero maintenance and it's actually a great car to keep around IMO.
If he wants a luxury vehicle, then why not? Clearly, he can afford the maintenance.
Apr 23, 2014
991 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote: You lost me at trading in the Tesla. With the ICE vehicles even if you don't drive much you will still have to do regular maintenance such as oil changes. With the Tesla it's almost zero maintenance and it's actually a great car to keep around IMO.
I am getting good sell price on it so maybe cash it in and upgrade to an SUV
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hahaty wrote: The **** am I reading?

You're cross shopping a GLE X5 and a Velar but the reason you don't want a rav4 is because of long wait time?
I'm surprised he didn't throw in a Kona into the mix...
Apr 23, 2014
991 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote: I'm surprised he didn't throw in a Kona into the mix...
is kona a good car?
Nov 23, 2014
192 posts
633 upvotes
Richmond, BC
EP32k2 wrote: I'm surprised he didn't throw in a Kona into the mix...
Someone needs to get Cody in here. I'm sure he can get a BNIB rav4 to your doorstep tomorrow for 100k.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hahaty wrote: Someone needs to get Cody in here. I'm sure he can get a BNIB rav4 to your doorstep tomorrow for 100k.
LOL
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
If buying new, mb dealers may not sell to out of province customer (due to inventory shortage), so, do check first.

Bottom line, only test drives with those vehicles would yield your real choice.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
venom21 wrote: If he wants a luxury vehicle, then why not? Clearly, he can afford the maintenance.
Who said anything about being able to afford the maintenance?

Besides OP is also looking at a RAV4…

My point is, purchasing an ICE vehicle after owning an EV will NEED more maintenance which besides costing money is inconvenient. So my question is why? Why go from a vehicle that is basically maintenance free, which actually makes more sense for a vehicle that isn’t driven as much.

Having an EV is literally like owning a toaster and you can’t tell me ICE is just as convenient.
Oct 4, 2012
180 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
Never buy a used German car unless it comes with CPO warranty, you will most likely buy someone else's problem and this will be a money pit. Have you looked into leasing any?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
LOL RAV4... Perhaps OP is looking to spend $60k on RAV4 like that other guy on here potentially got duped into :lol:

But yeah like who has an EV...also doesn't drive much...and then wants to trade that in and buy a $80k, 5200lb twin turbo V6 I6 SUV, that even with the mild hybrid system, gets less than 20 MPG?

I get that OP has a Tesla car and not an X or Y, but c'mon now, you're just going backwards here.

First off don't buy Toyblowta anything at any time. Secondly if you just need to "move/carry a lot of stuff", buy a pickup truck instead of an SUV. Perhaps there's the case of a family but I'd figure then you wouldn't have a car right now in that case. Thirdly, if you're buying something in this neighbourhood of $$$, try sticking to electrics especially when you say you "don't drive much".
Last edited by ES_Revenge on Apr 22nd, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 23, 2014
991 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
moalsamman wrote: Never buy a used German car unless it comes with CPO warranty, you will most likely buy someone else's problem and this will be a money pit. Have you looked into leasing any?
I really prefer leasing but it seems financing is better currently.

Do you know of any deal?
Apr 16, 2020
279 posts
277 upvotes
Ottawa
In these times, buy new. You clearly have the cash.

It also seems like you are interested in a wide range of vehicles.

How about a MDX Type S?
Apr 23, 2014
991 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
onefgc wrote: In these times, buy new. You clearly have the cash.

It also seems like you are interested in a wide range of vehicles.

How about a MDX Type S?
I prefer Germans
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1625 posts
3388 upvotes
GTA
WTF Keep the Tesla.

Also its Merc > BMW >>>> Land rover in terms of dollar value. Buy the range rover only if you want to flex on people.
Apr 23, 2014
991 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
onefgc wrote: Porsche Cayenne.

/thread.
Forgot about porsche
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
just be prepared to wait about 7 months for one though Winking Face

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)