Shopping Discussion

Buying a washer and dryer: what, where, when?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 11:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
381 posts
230 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Buying a washer and dryer: what, where, when?

Admirable deal hunters,

We got a place last year and inherited old appliances, most of which we replaced during the October appliance sale at Costco.ca. We've been mostly happy with our fridge and stove, and very happy with the Bosch dishwasher. However, we didn't replace the washer and dryer for the annoying reason that they work *just* well enough to not have justified the purchase.

I'm open this year to getting a new set. Is there RFD consensus about (1) best picks at certain price ranges and brands to avoid; (2) where to get them; and (3) when is the best time to score deals? I was previously a renter and just took whatever laundry set I happened to have access to, so it's a new world to me.

Many thanks for any insights you may have.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18846 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto
You have to become a bit of an 'expert' yourself and you'll know when to pounce.
Luckily it doesn't take long. You'll need to learn sizes to prices is the main thing and go from there. You may want the 'advice' or pressure tactics from sales people at say a store like The Brick or Leon's (Find a Goeman's, much better) or you might get some more alone time in a department store like Hudson's Bay or something like Home Depot / Rona.

I think you need to go to a store at least once, visually see the differences and then you can flyer shop / online shop.

Just know that this is one of those industries where you don't need to pay retail. There's wiggle room in the price.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15207 posts
12370 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Diakonos wrote: Admirable deal hunters,

We got a place last year and inherited old appliances, most of which we replaced during the October appliance sale at Costco.ca. We've been mostly happy with our fridge and stove, and very happy with the Bosch dishwasher. However, we didn't replace the washer and dryer for the annoying reason that they work *just* well enough to not have justified the purchase.

I'm open this year to getting a new set. Is there RFD consensus about (1) best picks at certain price ranges and brands to avoid; (2) where to get them; and (3) when is the best time to score deals? I was previously a renter and just took whatever laundry set I happened to have access to, so it's a new world to me.

Many thanks for any insights you may have.
Need to start by looking at the RFD HOME & GARDEN FORUM
home-garden-f53/

(Prob where the RFD Mods will move this thread to anyhow)

Someone posts this type of Question weekly
So lots of info already there
Remember ... each FORUM is SEARCHABLE
Look for the SEARCH THIS FORUM box at the top of the individual directory
(Follow my link above ... then It’s on the right, just above the first red line )

There is a season to buying everything so as to get the best price
For most Appliances, that is Fall
(Fridges + AC ... it’s Spring)
Here’s a good article on that

https://www.moneycrashers.com/best-time ... ppliances/

Do your homework
Read up on review
Look at independent sources, like Consumers Reports
Or anything that’s not sponsored by the manufacturer

Got to decide on what your needs are
And space will allow

Apartment size, stacking, stacking full size, full size etc
Front load vs Top load

Personally ... we have a Maytag W&D set
Top of the line
Top Load HE
Have had them about 10 years now
True workhorses
They replaced a 20+ year old set of Maytags
No regrets with Maytag
They make awesome “wet” appliances ... Washers + Dishwashers

And we like our Top Load HE cuz it has all the benefits of HE
But all the flexibility that a top loader gives that a front loader doesn’t
Plus it’s got none of the common issues ...
Drum & Door stink, hard to clean, inability to modify load ... add items, or add water etc

As to where ...
Used to be Sears ... for excellent Pricing, Sales Service, Delivery, Installation, Haul Away, Returns, Warranty or Service

With them gone ...
Costco definitely leads the pack on all those fronts
But being Costco ... they don’t stock all brands or models
Hence why you have to have done some research

Lowes is good
We have had an excellent experience with them last Fall on a Stove
Bought on Black Friday Sale ...
Saved 100s of dollars due to all the promos on at the time
FREE Delivery, FREE Haul Away, and ON SALE
They even honoured their Price Match Policy ... so we got another 10% Off
And it was Black Friday ... so we took advantage of other promos we stacked for payment purposes (AirMiles Bonuses )
Awesome Deal

Would definitely shop @ Lowes again
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8920 posts
4236 upvotes
Markham
Due to covid, do you guys think this year Black Friday will be the better one ( companies need clean up inventory and need cash flow) or the worst (no inventory from China , can not handle big volumes, exchanges rate...)?
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
381 posts
230 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thank you, @PointsHubby -- no wonder I couldn't find threads on this. I had searched, but the wrong section, clearly.

Appreciate your tips. I didn't know that fall was the best time to buy most appliances; it worked out that that's what I did last year, too. Will keep a special eye out for Maytag washer and dryer sets and will check out Lowes.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4781 posts
692 upvotes
Burlington
Too bad you're not in Ontario as some stores are still offering an energy rebate of 25%. That aside, we've had a Whirlpool set and been very happy so far.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7906 posts
1574 upvotes
Lowes had the best price for the model that we picked as well as easy delivery and removal of old appliance.. (LG 3800 Washer/3900 Dryer)
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
43 upvotes
Montreal
I got an LG set from Costco late last year.

Super happy, it’s the most basic front load WM3500, comes with wifi too ! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
If reddit is right, apparently everything on the planet sucks but Speed Queen.