• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2020 8:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2020
31 posts
9 upvotes

Buying Winter Tires/Rims - The correct size

So I currently drive Hyundai Sonata 2020 Luxury and the stock wheels are 235/45R18.
I ended up buying winter tires of the same size (MIchelin x ice xi3).
  1. What are the pros and cons with going 1 size down vs just using the same size as my stock tires?
  2. Will I run into any issues using the 235/45R18 winter tires?
  3. What type of rim will you recommend (cheapest), and size?
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27606 posts
12668 upvotes
Toronto
1. cheaper of course. taller sidewall gives you a bit more cushion on really bad roads that have many potholes. cons .... I don't see any.
2. No issue.
3. everyone will have their own preference on what they like, in terms of appearance design, type of materials used (gravity cast, flow form, etc.). Whatever you end up choosing, you need to shop for proper offsets, hub centric, bolt pattern, etc. Also keep in mind that your factory bolts may not be proper to use on some of the aftermarket wheels as well, hence, you may need another set.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9384 posts
8275 upvotes
Markham
235 winter tires seem way too wide. Shoulda went for something narrower.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3755 posts
3852 upvotes
GTA
Here are the alternate tire sizes from your owner's manual:

1. The advantage of smaller tires is that they are cheaper, and ride more comfortably. The disadvantage is that you sacrifice braking and cornering performance, and steering feel. These things are because the smaller tires are more narrow and have a taller sidewall.
2. No, there will not be any issues.
3. The cheapest winter wheel will be steel. I don't know if you can get an 18" steel wheel, so 16" or 17" would be good choices.