• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2014 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 16, 2008
127 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
Here's a trick I use to help with the rental costs.

Call them up, and tell them a door-to-door guy came around offering a better deal (spend 20mins online to find out what a comparable model is first though)...then ask for a price reduction. They'll say they can't...keep pushing. After a few minutes of nothing, then ask for the credit equivalent - :)

It's not the cleanest route, but every year (for the last 3 years) I've done this. I normally get a 3 month credit.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3824 posts
2712 upvotes
Markham
I have a PV50 installed in 2003. They're quoting me ~ 300+ with HST included. I think I'm going to buy it out as it would pay itself off in a year and we've never had any issues with it. I've also checked for signs of rust and cant find anything anywhere on top or the bottom (as far as I can see).

I'm wondering if there is any "maintenance" or any other part that say, could accidentally break, that I could have DE replace before I buy it out? Is there any common complaints that I can make to them so they can come out and replace some of the more prone to failure parts? I've never had a service call on this unit so I just want to make sure I have at least that bit of peace of mind before I take the plunge.

Appreciate any input.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1708 posts
431 upvotes
Woodbridge
Specify Model and Serial .. I will guide what and how to get replaced BEFORE you buy it out .
payam1981 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 11:43 am
I have a PV50 installed in 2003. They're quoting me ~ 300+ with HST included. I think I'm going to buy it out as it would pay itself off in a year and we've never had any issues with it. I've also checked for signs of rust and cant find anything anywhere on top or the bottom (as far as I can see).

I'm wondering if there is any "maintenance" or any other part that say, could accidentally break, that I could have DE replace before I buy it out? Is there any common complaints that I can make to them so they can come out and replace some of the more prone to failure parts? I've never had a service call on this unit so I just want to make sure I have at least that bit of peace of mind before I take the plunge.

Appreciate any input.
With greater power comes greater difficulty in factorizing the polynomial.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3824 posts
2712 upvotes
Markham
newlyborn wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 11:56 am
Specify Model and Serial .. I will guide what and how to get replaced BEFORE you buy it out .
Much appreciated. PM sent with the info.

This unit is only 36'000 BTU which is on the low side for a 50 Gal. compared to the new units but it gets the job done 95% of the times for our use.
Nov 28, 2011
820 posts
322 upvotes
Markham
I got stuck with these guys as part of new construction (I guess I signed it somewhere when I was buying the house but I'm a shmuck for not noticing). As I found out later, to cancel you have to buy out the stupid tank. I decided to bite the bullet and buy it out. $1200 :( Better than paying these scumbags every month (they are charging me almost 30). I'll try to sell it on kijiji and at least make half the money back. Going tankless.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1708 posts
431 upvotes
Woodbridge
36000 BTU is good enough for 50 gallon tank as long as you dont start heating your home through this WH . 36-42 is a norm for most WH's , so dont worry about it .
payam1981 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 1:00 pm
Much appreciated. PM sent with the info.

This unit is only 36'000 BTU which is on the low side for a 50 Gal. compared to the new units but it gets the job done 95% of the times for our use.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1708 posts
431 upvotes
Woodbridge
Good luck with your search for a buyer in kijiji . I doubt that you will be able to find any . Actually speaking I could have offered very slightly used WH;s for under 200 $ but no buyers .
bartium wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 1:25 pm
I got stuck with these guys as part of new construction (I guess I signed it somewhere when I was buying the house but I'm a shmuck for not noticing). As I found out later, to cancel you have to buy out the stupid tank. I decided to bite the bullet and buy it out. $1200 :( Better than paying these scumbags every month (they are charging me almost 30). I'll try to sell it on kijiji and at least make half the money back. Going tankless.
Jun 17, 2012
19 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
payam1981 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 11:43 am

Appreciate any input.
newlyborn wrote:
Jan 14th, 2014 11:56 am
I would like to know too

Just moved in to a 16 year old house last june