• Apr 22nd, 2014 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1361 posts
213 upvotes
Woodbridge
I called in yesterday (busy hold times cause of this article and newsletter) and I was told that existing customers prior to 2010(?) had a choice. They could either continue with the old plan which allows you to pay $75 to have the tank removed or you could move to the new plan in which case you would have to buyout the tank if you no longer wanted their services.

I don't really see much of a difference between the new and old plans other than being able to return the unit for $75. I opted for staying on the old plan. You have to call in to ask this or you get moved to the new plan automatically. I don't agree with this method as it sounds very close to negative option billing which I thought was illegal in Ontario. The agent on the phone confirmed that if 3 months from now, if I want to return the tank, that all I would have to do is pay the $75 fee.

I'm hoping nothing else changed on my plan from yesterday's call. I'm supposed to get something in the mail to confirm the changes. Hopefully this gives me enough time to source out a new tank and get it installed in the next couple of months.

Lobo
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
Finally, after a long time on hold, I got through.

I have an 11 year old gas powered conventional vent 40 gallon water heater, never caused us any problems in the past. I pay $168/year to rent it. The current buy out cost is $161+tax. If I opt out of the new contract, it's $75 to return it to them. If I opt in, then the buy out becomes $452. We're buying it out now, if it lasts one more year, I'll be ahead. We're thinking of going tankless at some point in the future anyways.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1369 posts
333 upvotes
Ottawa
i just bought mine out $250. its just over 10 yrs old but its not power vented. (vents through the chimney). pay about $17 odd per month so lets hope it lasts atleast an yr. i am looking for infon on sacrificial anodes and where to buy them.
Aug 12, 2011
191 posts
61 upvotes
NORTH YORK
dgnr8 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2012 11:20 pm
Anyone else get estimates?

I actually was looking at estimates as well. I got one from buttons heating. It was $1100 + tax for 40 gal conventional bradford white water heater with installation. Here is their website. http://www.buttonsheating.com/ and they seem to be fairly well reviewed on website, which is why I don't mind spending a bit more than home depot. I actually spoke with Joe, their owner, so PM me if you want his contact.

However, the home depot lifetime warranty is appealing, but in all likelihood there shouldn't really be any issues with a conventional water heater. My other issue is that they use A plus air systems for water heaters which I've heard will add on costs and then if you don't decide to go with home depot after the estimate, you are out $40.

Hope that helps.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19006 posts
5906 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
enigma54 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2009 9:36 am
Is it standard to sign a rental agreement with Direct Energy when you buy a house that has a rental hot water tank? I don't remember having to sign anything with Direct Energy when I bought my house 2 years ago and I have a rental with them. The monthly rental fee is being applied to my bill.

I've gone through buying/selling process a few times now and trust me, with the amount of paperwork you are churning through at the lawyers office it's easy to forget exactly what you've signed after a while. I had condos prior to my current home, and my current home came with an owned tank so I don't have any experience with water tank rentals though.
Aug 11, 2004
351 posts
42 upvotes
Well I have not made my final decision yet. Approximately 18yr 40 gal cv tank 28$ buyout. So I know I'm on borrowed time as to when it will start leaking. As I understand it my options are 1) 28$ buyout 2) Purchase my own tank and have it installed, since my tank is greater than 15yrs Direct Energy should pick it up for free. 3) Call and tell them to leave me under the old rules till my tank dies. Then I'm still stuck with code compliance ie scald valve and approximately 6ft of "B" vent. Would there possibly be any other compliance issues besides vent and scald valve.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2681 upvotes
ON
No brainer - buy it for $28. It's $75 to return it...
Start shopping for a new one yourself. Maybe wait a bit as I wouldn't be surprised if installers start gouging with a surge of people ditching DE right now.
Aug 11, 2004
351 posts
42 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Mar 13th, 2012 7:21 pm
Start shopping for a new one yourself. Maybe wait a bit as I wouldn't be surprised if installers start gouging with a surge of people ditching DE right now.
I agree about the gouging issue. My thoughts about buyout vs have them pick up. As I read the contract it says they will pick up for free. Spend 28$ + what ever someone will charge to get rid of the damn thing vs. Have them pick up the old beast for free. Here is the quote from the contract.

"(There is no charge if you are more than 32km (20 miles) from a Direct Energy return location or if we fail to retrieve your water heater within two weeks of your request or your water heater has been rented for 15 years or more.)"
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19006 posts
5906 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
accat13 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2012 7:32 pm
I agree about the gouging issue. My thoughts about buyout vs have them pick up. As I read the contract it says they will pick up for free. Spend 28$ + what ever someone will charge to get rid of the damn thing vs. Have them pick up the old beast for free. Here is the quote from the contract.

"(There is no charge if you are more than 32km (20 miles) from a Direct Energy return location or if we fail to retrieve your water heater within two weeks of your request or your water heater has been rented for 15 years or more.)"

Tell them to get rid of it. The only issue is trying to schedule things so you don't have to live without hot water for a period of time. Ideally you'll want to have them pick it up a couple of hours before you have the new one scheduled to be installed. I'm not sure how much (if anything) of the cost of having a new one installed by most companies is eaten by removal of old tank. I'm guessing they build it into the price and call it free, and perhaps it won't cost you any less to have the installers of the new tank take it anyway as they might not even discount it if there is no tank at all (and if you ask about it, they will probably skew their quotes).
Jan 8, 2010
10 posts
Vaughan
I am looking to move to a another house this coming year (Hopefully).
I currently rent my unit. It was installed in November 15th 1997. Should I buy it out or keep with the old contract or any other suggestion.
Aug 12, 2011
191 posts
61 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Scurvydog wrote:
Mar 14th, 2012 12:56 am
I am looking to move to a another house this coming year (Hopefully).
I currently rent my unit. It was installed in November 15th 1997. Should I buy it out or keep with the old contract or any other suggestion.

If you are looking to move, it probably makes the most sense to just keep renting. You won't be able to recover the upfront costs of buying a new unit so soon. But, it might be worth to at least ask what the buyout price is. Although it's an old unit, unless there have been any issues with it, it'll probably keep working fine. And even if you are selling, I doubt that most people will know enough to ask about the water heater rental as part of the sale negotiation.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3211 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto
aqnd wrote:
Mar 13th, 2012 7:21 pm

+1 We bought out our 17 year old tank this January for $25. It's showing some signs of rust, so I monitor it daily, but I figure by now I'm already ahead, so no complaints here.
Dec 29, 2009
514 posts
106 upvotes
I bought my 17 year old one two years ago for $28. Now two years later my tank still looks good and I haven't paid to rent it since (saving myself $672).

How does one check for rust etc? Just surface rust?
Sep 9, 2007
30 posts
Take note of the HD warrenty service. They don't come to your house, diagnose the problem and fix it, rather they tell you to diagnose it, send you the parts by mail, you arrange and pay for the repair, and then send them back the broken parts and the bill and they will reimburse fair market....

On tankless, be careful with what you wish for, consider you will likely use more water and gas to heat that water as tankless is "unlimited" therefore your costs will go up. Also there is a longer delay getting hot water to the tap with a tankless system over the regular water heater you are currently use to using.

Things to think about....
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3211 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto
iherald wrote:
Mar 14th, 2012 9:36 am
I bought my 17 year old one two years ago for $28. Now two years later my tank still looks good and I haven't paid to rent it since (saving myself $672).

How does one check for rust etc? Just surface rust?

I have rust forming around the vent outlet on top of the tank. I think that's a pretty clear sign that there is nothing left of the anode rod and the inside of the tank is probably not too healthy.