• Dec 13th, 2019 10:06 am
[OP]
Sep 11, 2010
18 posts
17 upvotes
Canada

[Buytopia.ca] Esso 10 cent Fuel Discount and Gift Card Bundle

Pay $130 for $165 value from the Esso™ and Mobil™ brand. Card bundle includes:

A $150 Price Privileges™ fuel discount e-card (save 10 cents per litre, on 1,500 litres)
A $15 Esso and Mobil e-Gift Card
Cards do not expire
Esso and Mobil e-gift cards and fuel discount e-cards are simple to use at the pump or in-store:

In store: Print out PDFs or download them to your smartphone and present barcodes in-store to the attendant
At pump: load your E-cards into the Speedpass+™ mobile app to redeem at pump at participating stations
Pay the remaining balance on your bill where applicable
Check your receipt to see the instant fuel savings and the remaining litres on your fuel discount card, and to see your gift card balance
Esso and Mobil Price Privileges Fuel Discount Cards give you cents-per-litre savings on fuel at approximately 2,000 Esso and Mobil stations in Canada.

Esso and Mobil Gift Cards are good for everything, including gas, car washes, snacks and other essentials at approximately 2,000 Esso and Mobil stations in Canada

** Don’t forget to use ebates for another 6% cashback!!! **

Summary of savings:
Buytopia discount is 21% off
Ebates gives 6% cashback
Images
  • 9CF63361-124C-4794-A9C7-455F30975518.jpeg
51 replies
Temp. Banned
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
518 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Considering the 2.5 cents off per litre is free, this is a terrible deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1172 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary
Stop posting these esso deals. They are terrible. If you are paying for these fuel saving cards, it's not a deal at all.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4808 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
Buytopia still exists? Next thing you're going to tell me wagjag still exists.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4826 posts
1938 upvotes
What a joke. The discount cards should come for free with gift cards .... not the other way around.
Oct 21, 2005
599 posts
448 upvotes
To put these deals on gas cards in perspective, think about how much extra you will pay going to only Esso for a year rather than the cheapest option. You drive by Petro Canada and it's 1.12/L. And you go to the Esso by your house which is 1.14/L because you save 10 c/L. If you have a 60L tank, you're paying an extra $1.20 for gas. And per fill-up, the gas card deal from Esso only saves you $1.20 once you factor in that you aren't getting 3% cash back on the "free" gas. So you're restricting yourself to one type of gas station for an entire year and in the end you get no savings at all.

Best bet for gas cards: get their free Petro Points/PC Optimum/whatever rewards card and always go to the station that has the cheapest gas, and use a credit card that gives 3% back on all gas purchases. Anything that incentivizes you to pick one gas station over another for a long period of time is a bad deal.
Dec 10, 2007
63 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
mapleleafs92 wrote: Considering the 2.5 cents off per litre is free, this is a terrible deal.
Hi, how is 2.5 cents off per litre is free? I don't typically fill up at Esso often at all.
Dec 24, 2011
347 posts
207 upvotes
toronto
renoldman wrote: What a joke. The discount cards should come for free with gift cards .... not the other way around.
I think discount cards used to be free maybe till last year or so....
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1662 posts
2028 upvotes
Halifax
doxster wrote: Hi, how is 2.5 cents off per litre is free? I don't typically fill up at Esso often at all.
There are promos. Either way you are paying 115 for a 150 card that gets you a 10 cent discount.

2 ways to look at it. You either get 2.3 cents off per liter IF you buy 1500 liters from them.

OR you are lending them 115 dollars and they promise to pay you back if you buy 1150 liters from them. If both thing happen they will give you 10 cents off per liter if you promise to buy another 350 liters from them.

How does that sound for a deal.
Temp. Banned
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
518 upvotes
NORTH YORK
doxster wrote: Hi, how is 2.5 cents off per litre is free? I don't typically fill up at Esso often at all.
The 2.5 cents off per litre are available in store or online when you register for an Esso extra card.
Temp. Banned
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
518 upvotes
NORTH YORK
LBJackal wrote: To put these deals on gas cards in perspective, think about how much extra you will pay going to only Esso for a year rather than the cheapest option. You drive by Petro Canada and it's 1.12/L. And you go to the Esso by your house which is 1.14/L because you save 10 c/L. If you have a 60L tank, you're paying an extra $1.20 for gas. And per fill-up, the gas card deal from Esso only saves you $1.20 once you factor in that you aren't getting 3% cash back on the "free" gas. So you're restricting yourself to one type of gas station for an entire year and in the end you get no savings at all.

Best bet for gas cards: get their free Petro Points/PC Optimum/whatever rewards card and always go to the station that has the cheapest gas, and use a credit card that gives 3% back on all gas purchases. Anything that incentivizes you to pick one gas station over another for a long period of time is a bad deal.
I've proven this to be incorrect in the last Esso thread.

Tldr version is I save over $500 a year filling up at Esso with the 10 cents off a litre card at night in certain areas that have cheap gas compared to Costco. However this deal is still cold.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3383 posts
725 upvotes
Canada
mapleleafs92 wrote: I've proven this to be incorrect in the last Esso thread.

Tldr version is I save over $500 a year filling up at Esso with the 10 cents off a litre card at night in certain areas that have cheap gas compared to Costco. However this deal is still cold.
i see this being a 22% savings when you fill up 1,500 liters worth of gas. Also, if you use this at Mobil gas stations, you can save addiional 7c/liter when you use your PC mastercard...

what would be considered a good deal?
Temp. Banned
Jul 26, 2011
508 posts
518 upvotes
NORTH YORK
badsha wrote: i see this being a 22% savings when you fill up 1,500 liters worth of gas. Also, if you use this at Mobil gas stations, you can save addiional 7c/liter when you use your PC mastercard...

what would be considered a good deal?
Free= 2.5 cents off per litre for 1500 litres = 37.50.
Paid= $130 for a $15 gift card and 10 cents off 1500 litres which gives us $165 value.

Now subtracting the free part from the paid part gives us a lower value then what we paid. 165-37.50=127.50.

By using this deal you are losing $2.50.