• May 23rd, 2020 6:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1781 posts
641 upvotes
GTA

Bylaw information for city

Anyone knows how to find the bylaws information about working in the backyard on Saturday?

- my lovely neighbor is a handyman and making or working on something always in his parking or the backyard
- his kids (kids!! 23, 26 and 29 years) always have pool party all summer long , not only on the weekends but also whenever they feel they have to do it! and these parties always finishes after mid-nights
- he has a big truck and at summer time never put it in his driveway , always parks at street.

lastly, he complaint because his daughter has a pool party with the music level up to 100 (like the max noise level).
speaking of pandemic, they always have more than 10-15 people in their backyard, smoking and drinking and loud music , making fire (fire pit) , ...
in the past few summers, at every single one they had police in their door due to some neighbors complaint about the noise level!

so this guy complaint about the noise and dust!
Last edited by amiratish on May 23rd, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5074 posts
2273 upvotes
amiratish wrote: Anyone knows how to find the bylaws information about working in the backyard on Saturday?
Google
No municipality I know of that prohibits work on a Saturday
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1781 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: Google
No municipality I know of that prohibits work on a Saturday
Thanks, contractor is working in the backyard to replace the interlock and the neighbor complaint to him that I'm in the backyard and the noise and dust level bothers me!
was wondering if he can cause some trouble!
Temp. Banned
Aug 18, 2019
220 posts
177 upvotes
amiratish wrote: Thanks, so basically he can't complaint!
Pootzas right. No he cannot unless the whole block is complaining.
Dec 2, 2008
76 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
I love stories like these where the person doing the damage wants to feel comforted and reassured that what they are doing is good. You brought up two points. First, check with your local municipality (not the city of Toronto as a whole)as to what the bylaw is. But, let's go beyond the bylaw and talk specifically about ethics. People have been cramped in quarantine for over a month. I'm sure that the individual behind you wants to enjoy their own property just as much as you want to enjoy your own once your interlock paving is complete. Two areas of disagreement are both noise and pollution. If the roles were reversed...would you appreciate either? I sure wouldn't. There seems to be a belief that just because an individual does something on their own property there is a magical force field surrounding the property and not affecting others. It does affect others.

Here's what I would recommend. The worker/contractor can place a tarp or mini tent around where they're cutting the stone in order to not only dampen the sound but have the dust that is flying away hit the tarp and not go into the air everywhere. Even better, have them cut in an area that is away from the backyard out of respect for your neighbour to lessen the impact of the sound and prevent air particles from going everywhere. And, be consistent about this. Don't let them do it for one day and then things go right back to the way they were before the next day. The workers will listen to you because you're paying them. They won't listen to the same advice if your neighbour did it. You're the one signing their paycheck. Other than that, respect noise bylaws and don't start at 7:00 am or finish at 8pm so that your neighbours don't bear the brunt of the construction work. Sometimes renovations need to be complete and things repaired but this can be done respectfully so as not to disturb everyone around.

These are not bylaws but civil discipline that can go a long way into ensuring that things remain civil between neighbours.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1781 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
boobnewb wrote: I love stories like these where the person doing the damage wants to feel comforted and reassured that what they are doing is good. You brought up two points. First, check with your local municipality (not the city of Toronto as a whole)as to what the bylaw is. But, let's go beyond the bylaw and talk specifically about ethics. People have been cramped in quarantine for over a month. I'm sure that the individual behind you wants to enjoy their own property just as much as you want to enjoy your own once your interlock paving is complete. Two areas of disagreement are both noise and pollution. If the roles were reversed...would you appreciate either? I sure wouldn't. There seems to be a belief that just because an individual does something on their own property there is a magical force field surrounding the property and not affecting others. It does affect others.

Here's what I would recommend. The worker/contractor can place a tarp or mini tent around where they're cutting the stone in order to not only dampen the sound but have the dust that is flying away hit the tarp and not go into the air everywhere. Even better, have them cut in an area that is away from the backyard out of respect for your neighbour to lessen the impact of the sound and prevent air particles from going everywhere. And, be consistent about this. Don't let them do it for one day and then things go right back to the way they were before the next day. The workers will listen to you because you're paying them. They won't listen to the same advice if your neighbour did it. You're the one signing their paycheck. Other than that, respect noise bylaws and don't start at 7:00 am or finish at 8pm so that your neighbours don't bear the brunt of the construction work. Sometimes renovations need to be complete and things repaired but this can be done respectfully so as not to disturb everyone around.

These are not bylaws but civil discipline that can go a long way into ensuring that things remain civil between neighbours.
great conversation, I should mentioned in the main post:
- my lovely neighbor is a handyman and making or working on something always in his parking or the backyard
- his kids (kids!! 23, 26 and 29 years) always have pool party all summer long , not only on the weekends but also whenever they feel have to do it! and these parties always takes after mid-nights
- he has a big truck and at summer time never put it in his driveway and always parks at street.
- when we moved to this neighborhood couple of years ago, every one said what your neighbor as he is the worst neighbor in the entire neighborhood

lastly, he complaint because his daughter has a pool party with the music level up to 100 (like the max noise level) .
speaking of pandemic, they always have more than 10-15 people in their backyard, smoking and drinking and loud music , .....
in the past few summers, at every single one they had police in their door due to some neighbors complain about the noise level!

Getting complaint from this neighbor was a ......

so civil discipline with this neighbor is a joke as they've build an animal kingdom for themselves

you are right, we should consider all the scenarios, the contractors used water for wet cut, also one person was cutting while other one has a vacuum in his hand! they started at 9:20 am and want to do some work before raining! and he is packing his stuff now as we speak.
Apr 17, 2017
42 posts
24 upvotes
amiratish wrote: great conversation, I should mentioned in the main post:
- his kids (kids!! 23, 26 and 29 years) always have pool party all summer long , not only on the weekends but also whenever they feel have to do it! and these parties always takes after mid-nights
- he has a big truck and at summer time never put it in his driveway and always parks at street.
- when we moved to this neighborhood couple of years ago, every one said what your neighbor as he is the worst neighbor in the entire neighborhood

lastly, he complaint because his daughter has a pool party with the music level up to 100 (like the max noise level) .
speaking of pandemic, they always have more than 10-15 people in their backyard, smoking and drinking and loud music , .....
in the past few summers, at every single one they had police in their door due to some neighbors complain about the noise level!

Getting complaint from this neighbor was a ......

so civil discipline with this neighbor is a joke as they've build an animal kingdom for themselves

you are right, we should consider all the scenarios, the contractors used water for wet cut, also one person was cutting while other one has a vacuum in his hand! they started at 9:20 am and want to do some work before raining! and he is packing his stuff now as we speak.
such a lovely ^ss neighbor, seems he is making noise all the time and he does not want anyone else to do any!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1781 posts
641 upvotes
GTA
jeffxus wrote: such a lovely ^ss neighbor, seems he is making noise all the time and he does not want anyone else to do any!
he is a jerk, he has some issues with everyone.