BYOD Cell Plans - missed the boat?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2018 9:12 pm
Jan 21, 2016
424 posts
291 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

BYOD Cell Plans - missed the boat?

A friend recently moved to the country and asked for help with getting a new cell plan. He has an unlocked smartphone already. I've done some poking around on RFD and carrier websites, and no promotional plans really stick out. Does a week or two really make this much difference? Any pointers on where he can get a decent chunk of data for a reasonable monthly rate?
10 replies
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Yea unfortunately you kinda missed it. They had the 10gb for 60$ monthly. Now they are back gauging even worse, and it's either less data for the same price or go with those regional plans people sell on kijiji/craigs. Unless your friend doesn't need data. Then it's the usual 30-40$ a month plans for unlimited canada wide.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
3747 posts
6586 upvotes
Calgary
Messerschmitt wrote: Yea unfortunately you kinda missed it. They had the 10gb for 60$ monthly. Now they are back gauging even worse, and it's either less data for the same price or go with those regional plans people sell on kijiji/craigs. Unless your friend doesn't need data. Then it's the usual 30-40$ a month plans for unlimited canada wide.
Wow, no kidding when you say they're gouging. BYOD unlimited nationwide with 8 GB of data is now $110 at Telus. I'm happy that I got the $60/10GB for both my lines, but it looks like my happiness will be paid for by those new activations.
Dec 21, 2016
198 posts
121 upvotes
ZipSpeed wrote: Wow, no kidding when you say they're gouging. BYOD unlimited nationwide with 8 GB of data is now $110 at Telus. I'm happy that I got the $60/10GB for both my lines, but it looks like my happiness will be paid for by those new activations.
Well those big ones try to screw people over more than very much. When I called Fido to unlock my phone on Tuesday, they offered me $85 for 10gb. What a joke. Right
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Deals with the cell phone providers for Ontario specifically almost never happen so I wouldn't expect to see any good deals for plans for a very long time. The reason why everyone went crazy for the $60 10/gb plan was because to many, that was a smoking hot deal (which is sad when you really come to think about it. We're so used to being gouged for plans that $60 is a smoking deal).

If your friend settles in a different province he can qualify for a much better set of plans (SK, MB, QC) but I'm afraid if he's in Ontario then he's hooped like the rest of us.

If he's not too picky about 3g vs 4g/lte, right now Public Mobile (telus) has an... ok deal... $50 for 6gb at 3G speeds, unlimited province-wide calling, unlimited global texting, CID+VM incl. If he does autopay he can save $2/mo.
Apr 14, 2006
415 posts
277 upvotes
Yes Public is probably the lowest priced option on the big 3 network for now.

It is owned by Telus so it will have the same reception as them.
Apr 14, 2006
415 posts
277 upvotes
Chris258852 wrote: Try Freedom mobile for now. Lots of people use it.
https://www.freedommobile.ca

I just checked and they still have $50 for 10gb
I have a account with Freedom as well.

$50 for 10GB is a glorified tablet plan. A better option on Freedom for most people will be $50 for 5GB + Canada Voice.

Or seriously at that price range go with Public. Better network and similar price. As others have said Public has $50 for 6GB 3G + Province Voice
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1876 posts
1480 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gqbluez wrote:

If your friend settles in a different province he can qualify for a much better set of plans (SK, MB, QC) but I'm afraid if he's in Ontario then he's hooped like the rest of us.
Not true. If he wants to jump through a few very small hoops, he can get the Quebec Koodo $49 6GB plan.
Jun 5, 2007
100 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Rogers currently has a 8GB non-shared plan on a no tab/BYOD for $70 or $85 on a premium tab. A CSR told me this will expire on January 10.