• Jul 16th, 2018 3:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2735 posts
1157 upvotes
Quebec

Byward market parking spots

Going to Ottawa/Gatineau on Friday the 13 and we are cheap.

I know there are some free parking spots for free on Saturday but what about Friday, where can I park for free either in Ottawa and Gatineau that is not too far on foot from byward market

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20882 posts
19151 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Free Parking in downtown Ottawa is few & far between these days ... and a headache... soooo many signs / limitations. The city makes A TON OF INCOME off Parking tickets (and towing / impound fees).

Parking sadly is less about the tourist coming to town for a few days visit... than it is about how much can be made thru paying public servants all year long.

Byward market is a mess of one way and narrow streets, and lots of pedestrians, delivery trucks etc

Most places are going to be Pay & Display ... be it on the street, or in one of the City run lots / garages.

On the street even with Pay & Display there are time limits.

Just save yourself the grief... and head to a Lot or Parkade to begin with.

We like One at 141 Clarence (corner of Clarence & Byward Market Sq).

https://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transpor ... ng/parking

At $ 3 an hour, City Parking is reasonably priced... places like the Rideau Centre charge a lot more for the convenience
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2735 posts
1157 upvotes
Quebec
So 3$ per hours, I heard after 5PM AND DURING WEEKEND it’s free correct?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6382 posts
6222 upvotes
ratatapa wrote: So 3$ per hours, I heard after 5PM AND DURING WEEKEND it’s free correct?
No.... if you follow the link you'll see its the same price for evenings and weekend (for that particular parkade)

Only street parking is free after 5 and on weekends... but good luck finding a spot.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20882 posts
19151 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lennyandcarl wrote: Why does the WEP offer free parking?
I believe it’s part of the local incentive to bring folks to the pedestrian mall on Sparks Street

Also, the Ottawa Tourism Office is nearby at 90 Wellington... corner of Metcalfe, and directly across the street from Parliament Hill.

It’s always been the policy that Parliament Hill would be accessible to all Cdns. As most Tourists are in the city over the weekend when the Govt is not sitting, and the majority of public servants are not working... there is a lot of empty parking spaces at the World Exchange Plaza...

And the shops within the World Exchange Plaza, are also pretty empty. So free parking benefits them as well.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
lennyandcarl wrote: Why does the WEP offer free parking?
It has always been that way. It is only on weekends and the shops are pretty well closed.
There are lots of city owned lots around but they are all pay parking. Really don't know who subsidizes it. It may be Sparks Street Merchants but it certainly has nothing to do with Parliament or the city.