Automotive

A/C doesn't blow cold air, have a long driving trip coming up, will it affect motor if something wrong with compressor

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2022 7:24 am
Apr 25, 2021
56 posts
7 upvotes

A/C doesn't blow cold air, have a long driving trip coming up, will it affect motor if something wrong with compressor

Have a 2012 Kia Sportage, over the last few years a/c has been blowing warmer air bit by bit. Not a big deal as we drive with windows open mostly. I brought it in and got the a/c refilled/recharged thinking this was the problem. It was not the problem. I changed the in-cabin filter as it was dirty. Still warm air.

I have a long drive ahead of me shortly and not sure I can get it fixed in time. If anything is wrong with the compressor or anything else, can this cause any vehicle problems other than being hot and uncomfortable inside?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3374 posts
6366 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Before blindly charging and refilling, did the shop do a pressure test to find a leak or damaged compressor?

Only way I can see it ruining your road trip is if AC compressor is damaged, can get seized or bearing fails, then you lose the drive belt. Also this is if the drive belt is not AC compressor specific and powers alternator, etc.
Apr 25, 2021
56 posts
7 upvotes
They recharged the ac and put some type of dye in it to see if it leaks and come back in a few weeks. They didn't charge me for the recharge since they didn't fix the ac.

They are going to do diagnostic testing tomorrow at a rate of 150/h, they said it might take 1-2 hours to figure out where issue is. Does that sound like a ling time to do diagnostic testing?
Banned
Jun 27, 2022
90 posts
150 upvotes
If you can live without your ac, and it sounds like you can as you've been using windows for a few years now, then don't bother with it. It could potentially cost thousands to repair. Not worth it on a 10 year old sportage. It won't harm anything else.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
999988 wrote: They recharged the ac and put some type of dye in it to see if it leaks and come back in a few weeks. They didn't charge me for the recharge since they didn't fix the ac.

They are going to do diagnostic testing tomorrow at a rate of 150/h, they said it might take 1-2 hours to figure out where issue is. Does that sound like a ling time to do diagnostic testing?
If they recharged it and it was warm right away, you have a big leak. Should be easy to find with a pressure test
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Before blindly charging and refilling, did the shop do a pressure test to find a leak or damaged compressor?

Only way I can see it ruining your road trip is if AC compressor is damaged, can get seized or bearing fails, then you lose the drive belt. Also this is if the drive belt is not AC compressor specific and powers alternator, etc.
A vacuum test is just as important if not more important.

500micron gets rid of moisture which is harmful to your system
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8