• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2015 12:35 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 14, 2002
116 posts

A/C & Furnace Maintenance Plan tips

I'm sorry if this question has been posted recently. I tried searching, but the work furnace, maintenance, plans, brings up lots of results! :) So again, sorry if this has been brought up alot before.

I'm looking for tips/suggestions on furnace,A/C maintanence plans. I got a flyer for reliance home comfort in the mail. I checked out their website and looking at their A/C and furnace plan, I see it's around $30 a month. Seems a bit pricey, but my home is about 10 years old, so who knows if things may start acting up soon.

Is there any company I should be looking at? I live east of Oshawa.

Any companies I should stay away from?

Just looking for some thoughts on this service.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10424 posts
11100 upvotes
Toronto
gazoo wrote: I'm sorry if this question has been posted recently. I tried searching, but the work furnace, maintenance, plans, brings up lots of results! :) So again, sorry if this has been brought up alot before.

I'm looking for tips/suggestions on furnace,A/C maintanence plans. I got a flyer for reliance home comfort in the mail. I checked out their website and looking at their A/C and furnace plan, I see it's around $30 a month. Seems a bit pricey, but my home is about 10 years old, so who knows if things may start acting up soon.

Is there any company I should be looking at? I live east of Oshawa.

Any companies I should stay away from?

Just looking for some thoughts on this service.

Thanks!
Shop vac the AC. Blow the outside a little to remove dust.

Done.

Saved you $30 a month.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a maintenance plan from the dealer that sells the brand. They sell, repair and maintain the product and are licensed and affiliated with the OEM. The do an annual inspection and cleaning and service the warranty if needed.
I would stick with someone that really knows the brand.
Some folks will say it is a waste of money but, like any insurance, it is only a waste if you never need it.
Jul 9, 2015
117 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Consider if you will be willing to replace or repair if something breaks down. Keep in mind that most repair would charge you a diagnostic fee around $100 to even come and do a look see and repair would likely have labour rate of $100 / hr.

Also need to research what furnace and AC you have to see if they are builder grade (entry level) or not so good brand or something that is decent and can last a while. If something that would have cost say $2k each 10 years ago, would a repair or this $360/year insurance policy be worthwhile. It might be a different answer vs if your house have something installed that might cost say $5k each to replace or repair.

Also need to consider if you have the money to make the investment at this time. If not and you go for the insurance plan, made sure you understand the timeframe you need to commit to or you might be locked into something longer than you want.

Also would be good idea to checkout BBB ratings.