Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1256 posts
347 upvotes
Oakville

A/C loud sound?

Hi all, had a new A/C unit (Trane XR13 3tonne) installed last summer, and it just started to make an incredibly loud buzzing sound.

The sound doesnt start when the AC kicks in, and it usually ends before the AC cycles off. And to make it more weird, it doesnt always sound on when the AC is on. But over the past 2 weeks, and twice spanning yesterday and today, it's done this around 3 or 4 times.

https://streamable.com/qzcthq

I've attached a small clip with audio. Anyone have any ideas?

I've contacted the the installers (he's pretty popular here on RFD), but I doubt I'll get a hold of him until tomorrow. Just thought someone here would know what this is?
23 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12790 posts
7485 upvotes
Brampton
Sounds like it's just the compressor. Doesn't sound overly loud. A compressor blanket should be able to quiet it down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1256 posts
347 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote: Sounds like it's just the compressor. Doesn't sound overly loud. A compressor blanket should be able to quiet it down.
Is it normal for it to randomly get loud? Never had a situation like this. I get they're not suppose to be silent, but it get a lot louder than normal at random points.
I suppose I could live with it if it's normal, just want to make sure this isnt an actual issue?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1839 posts
1269 upvotes
Toronto
Don't mean to thread jack but mine starts up with a fairly loud "bang" sound. Is that normal?
Jan 7, 2013
827 posts
497 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
VertigoM wrote: Don't mean to thread jack but mine starts up with a fairly loud "bang" sound. Is that normal?
Yeah there's a "click" of the contactor closing and then the "kick" of the conpressor starting.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3843 posts
1264 upvotes
Do you hear it inside? When i had it installed, i can hear the vibration inside. I called the installers when it was first installed and they said it was normal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1256 posts
347 upvotes
Oakville
So no rattling sound like the other video (thank god!)

So is everyone saying that it's normal for an AC to ramp up in noise and then go back to normal noise levels? And for this to be random?
I get AC's arent quiet, but from my experience the noise is very constant throughout.
Mar 2, 2020
68 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
My AC is quite. No banging or clicking sound from contactor as someone mentioned above or any any unusual sounds on start up. I have cheap AC installed years back. Contact your installers if it's under warranty.
KennyX wrote: So no rattling sound like the other video (thank god!)

So is everyone saying that it's normal for an AC to ramp up in noise and then go back to normal noise levels? And for this to be random?
I get AC's arent quiet, but from my experience the noise is very constant throughout.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12932 posts
4535 upvotes
Ontario
I have seen a few posts with these Trane AC's having issues. Wonder if its a bad batch or Trane just cheeped out the past year or two? But it sounds a bit to loud to be normal
Tha_Doggg wrote: What's going on with these Trane units? Someone else posted a problem awhile back.

strange-sound-trane-xr-air-conditioner- ... #p32791182
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1256 posts
347 upvotes
Oakville
Well, the AC has cycled on a few times today, and so far no added loud sound.
Feb 28, 2018
179 posts
116 upvotes
Waterloo region
sounds like a bad capacitor... but then your ac wouldn't work
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2999 posts
725 upvotes
Our neighbor just change their old very loud (non-stop) air con to a Carrier comfort system, its more quiet compare to old system, but when it starts and when it stops it makes this loud cracking noise.
May 15, 2017
266 posts
292 upvotes
I wouldn't be overly impressed if I paid for a unit and it was that loud.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12790 posts
7485 upvotes
Brampton
OP what did your installer say?

It doesn't sound like it's a cap issue at all.
It sounds like it could be TXV is equalizing pressure towards the end of the run and the compressor is just getting a bit buzzy. (tho Ive never hear it sound like that, Ive heard whistle sounds.).

It really sounds like a compressor blanket would quiet it down a lot.

My carrier came with a compressor blanket and is very quiet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1256 posts
347 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote: OP what did your installer say?

It doesn't sound like it's a cap issue at all.
It sounds like it could be TXV is equalizing pressure towards the end of the run and the compressor is just getting a bit buzzy. (tho Ive never hear it sound like that, Ive heard whistle sounds.).

It really sounds like a compressor blanket would quiet it down a lot.

My carrier came with a compressor blanket and is very quiet.
They're going to schedule to send a technician to check it out next week. The problem is, it hasnt acted out with that loud buzzing sound again since Thursday morning, so not sure they're going to find anything if the sound/issue isnt replicated.

I mean I could live with the added sound, my only concern is that this loud sound is random and intermittent (so far), which from my limited experience would mean larger problems down the road.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6454 posts
821 upvotes
BC
My neighbours sounds exactly the same, but all the time. We can be in the back yard and ours and theirs are going and all I can hear is theirs.
That's my 2cents worth
Jan 7, 2013
827 posts
497 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
KennyX wrote: They're going to schedule to send a technician to check it out next week. The problem is, it hasnt acted out with that loud buzzing sound again since Thursday morning, so not sure they're going to find anything if the sound/issue isnt replicated.

I mean I could live with the added sound, my only concern is that this loud sound is random and intermittent (so far), which from my limited experience would mean larger problems down the road.
Apparently bad contractors can also make a loud buzzing transformer-like sound.

Does the sound occur more frequently on very hot days like today or when the sun is shining directly on it.

I have an American Standard model like yours (trane and AS are identical). I put a compressor blanket on and it seems pretty quiet for a mechanical piece of equipment.