Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2330 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto

“please place item in the bagging area”

Is there a line more annoying than this:

I only hear this in Walmart and not sure if other self-Checkout at other stores have it?

I love the convenience of self-checkout (though I understand it could mean fewer staff needed which is not good) but my god is it annoying. No matter how I do it, it will beep and give me this line. And I see others struggling with it and having to call for assistance. Not only that, but the area to put your bag is so small, by the time you are done the first bag, you can barely put staff in the second bag (yes I undetstand there is a limit of 16 items or less)

Anyone else finds this annoying?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
52 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11450 posts
14200 upvotes
Vancouver
Almost every place except Loblaws has this abomination. It's horrible. The sooner merchants turn this off (I believe it's a simple admin setting in every machine) the better. I don't appreciate being treated as a potential thief. It's not a good way to build a relationship with a customer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote: Anyone else finds this annoying?
Between this and artificially slow scanning, I refuse to use them.

That said, some retailers are disabling both of these "features" so they are improving.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45822 posts
6323 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: Between this and artificially slow scanning, I refuse to use them.

That said, some retailers are disabling both of these "features" so they are improving.
They are disabling them and instead putting in cameras. I'm not sure what's better.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: They are disabling them and instead putting in cameras. I'm not sure what's better.
I'd take cameras all day long. It's not like cameras aren't already being used everywhere else.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13628 posts
2392 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Hearing it does not bother me.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11450 posts
14200 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote: Hearing it does not bother me.
Does this bother you?

"Please place item into the bagging area."
"Please wait for an attendant.

Try getting a key cut at Canadian Tire. Darn thing is too light for the scale to detect.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
Becks wrote: Hearing it does not bother me.
It's not the hearing that annoys me. It's the fact that I can't proceed until I actually put the thing in the bagging area and it registers it.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11450 posts
14200 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: It's not the hearing that annoys me. It's the fact that I can't proceed until I actually put the thing in the bagging area and it registers it.
THIS. Loblaws has led the way by getting rid of this. Hopefully the rest of retailers will follow.
Mar 20, 2011
307 posts
213 upvotes
Langley, BC
The main thing I hate about self checkout is the machines make it nearly impossible to use your own reusable shopping bags. The logical way would be to use them one at a time, adding another bag when the last one is full. Instead the machines either require you to "pre-authorize" all your bags at the beginning and somehow work around your pile of reusable bags while bagging your shopping up, or stop each time to add a reusable bag and hope the machine allows you to do so. In an era where we're trying to reduce plastic waste, these machines need to do better.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20814 posts
4930 upvotes
Poormond Hill
This is why you can't it both ways. The consumer wants the lowest price. They don't care how it is achieved. Until it hits them. If you want a personal cashier, tell the corporate head office you are willing to pay more for it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sep 30, 2009
210 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond
I always hear this when I'm trying to organize my groceries in the bag. Give me at least 10 seconds to make sure stuff isn't getting crushed. It's also much louder than all the other voice commands.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22921 posts
18041 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Woodbridge905 wrote: Is there a line more annoying than this:

"Would you like to donate $2 to ________?"

Runner up at McDogfoods when ordering a cup of coffee, "Would you like fries with that?" (D'oh!)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14076 posts
9269 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Here in London UK, most supermarkets are self-check outs.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4516 upvotes
Alberta
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Here in London UK, most supermarkets are self-check outs.
Looking for a good deal in Canada Cheapo-Findo? Lol
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14076 posts
9269 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Always!
jackrabbit000 wrote: Looking for a good deal in Canada Cheapo-Findo? Lol

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2014
5482 posts
2508 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: This is why you can't it both ways. The consumer wants the lowest price. They don't care how it is achieved. Until it hits them. If you want a personal cashier, tell the corporate head office you are willing to pay more for it.
I don't remember prices going down after companies switched to self checkout???
Dec 6, 2012
434 posts
208 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Here in London UK, most supermarkets are self-check outs.
France too, since at least the 80s. But here in Canada it's not that old, and the "Please put item in the bag" and "Please remove item from the bag" is really annoying...
Apr 4, 2017
542 posts
435 upvotes
I swear Walmart has the worst self checkout technology. Good luck trying to use your own re-usable bags. "please remove item from bagging area"
Ever since they removed all the express lanes and replaced with self checkout, I've cut down on my walmart visits. Now if only they would roll out the self serve cell phone scanning app sooner, maybe that may fix the issues.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/mobileapp/my-walmart
Aug 8, 2019
343 posts
198 upvotes
My ideal shopping experience would be one where the checkout line is eliminated completely, similar to an online shopping experience.
I hope someday we will have technology that allows our physical cart to update the current total amount as we add/remove items.
Then at the end I just confirm payment and leave without needing to scan everything again.
I like shopping physically but I prefer the convenience of knowing my current total as I shop like on websites.