None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Earth

A/C Refrigerant Recharge

Tried the Red Tek A/C Refrigerant Recharge kit from Can Tire and it worked on my 10 year old car. The A/C was blowing out warm/hot air on the driver's side. It's been like that for about two years.

I wouldn't try it on a newer car, but worth a shot on an older car. Figured I would try this before handing over buckets of cash to a licensed A/C garage.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9862 posts
9526 upvotes
Markham
It works until it leaks back out. It's a quick temporary fix. Refrigerant doesn't just go away in a sealed system. There is a leak.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Earth
Anikiri wrote: It works until it leaks back out. It's a quick temporary fix. Refrigerant doesn't just go away in a sealed system. There is a leak.
Thanks, I didn't want to write such a long post, but I guess it would help clarify things a bit...

You're correct, there is likely a slow leak, since it's still working. I wanted to try the cheap, relatively easy fix first before getting a mechanic involved and swapping out parts, etc. There is also a leak sealer, in a can, if necessary.

If this cheap fix lasts for the summer, that's fine, since it is over 10 years old. Not about to drop hundreds on a daily commuter car.

Thanks,
Oats
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2007 posts
657 upvotes
Markham
I have done the same thing as well on a 25 year old vehicle....works fine.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Just and FYI if you have a freon leak it's illegal to top it up. Environmental concern. Rather not breath air that's even more polluted than it currently is.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1210 posts
474 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: Just and FYI if you have a freon leak it's illegal to top it up. Environmental concern. Rather not breath air that's even more polluted than it currently is.
Hmm!! Just top it up yourself with the aftermarket stuff which is like $10-$20 a bottle, depending where you buy it, or spend hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to try and find the leak and fix it? Especially when you have an old car that's 10+ years old. Makes more economical sense to just top it up and try the leak stop or leak seal with it.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
RCML27 wrote: Hmm!! Just top it up yourself with the aftermarket stuff which is like $10-$20 a bottle, depending where you buy it, or spend hundreds of dollars for a mechanic to try and find the leak and fix it? Especially when you have an old car that's 10+ years old. Makes more economical sense to just top it up and try the leak stop or leak seal with it.
Yeah I know it makes more economical sense but if you're constantly having to top it up its a pretty substantive environmental concern. Economic term for it is externality.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1557 posts
886 upvotes
Earth
nasa25 wrote: Just and FYI if you have a freon leak it's illegal to top it up. Environmental concern. Rather not breath air that's even more polluted than it currently is.
The refrigerant from the kit is not freon; only a licensed mechanic or licensed A/C person can refill the freon.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Oatmeal wrote: The refrigerant from the kit is not freon; only a licensed mechanic or licensed A/C person can refill the freon.
Ah ok. I guess if it's not environmentally hazardous then it should be all good.