• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 3:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
1 posts

A/C worth it?

Hi folks,
I have a Honda Civic 2009 that I'm wanting to sell in about a year (due to relocation). Unfortunately, the A/C compressor went out on me this summer and to fix my A/C it's going to set me back ~1K. My question is if it's worth fixing it when I'm wanting to sell the car ina year and given that I mostly work from home these days? How much is the value of a car affected at the time of selling if it doesn't have a working A/C?

THanks for your feedback
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
If you don’t repair the ac and try to sell it, many potential buyers could be turned away and may take more time to sell.

It’s a judgement call whether you should fix it or sell it as is when time comes.
Apr 8, 2020
696 posts
449 upvotes
If you decide not to fix it make sure that you try to sell your car before or after summer
People may be a bit picky about AC in 33+ temp Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1028 posts
788 upvotes
probably not, just offer 1k discount to the buyer
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
You pay the price now and drive cooler for a year, or you take that amount off the selling price for the buyer plus more for the inconvenience for them to get it done.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32862 posts
14576 upvotes
A/C is a system that should be used at least semi-frequently to keep it running and in good shape. So if your compressor just failed recently, now is the time to fix it. Waiting longer, it's going to end up costing more to repair as the system may leak, contaminants may get in, and more components may need replacing afterwards. Whether you're gonna fix it or not, I'd make the decision, firmly, as soon as you can.

IMO fixing it is a better option as few people want to buy cars with blatantly not working features like A/C--even the most amateur of car buyer will usually check that out, esp. if you're selling in the summer months you won't be able to "hide" it (not saying you should anyway but just saying people will definitely check and become less interested in the summer if the A/C is inop). Unless the car is old, low value, and basically marketed as a beater car, A/C is largely a checkbox every car buyer will want to tick these days.

Put yourself in the buyer's shoes... Would you want to buy a car as common as a Civic without working A/C for a price that's not too far from the five other ones they found on kijiji that have perfectly good working A/C? Probably not, right? If you're saying it's roughly $1k to fix, be prepared to take $1500-2k less than market value otherwise.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4427 posts
2929 upvotes
A true rfder would buy a few of those diy 12a cans from princess auto for $10 dollars. Then list the car asap for sale as is with working ac. :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32862 posts
14576 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: A true rfder would buy a few of those diy 12a cans from princess auto for $10 dollars. Then list the car asap for sale as is with working ac. :)
Yeah but there's two conditions here:
-The A/C has stopped working because of low charge--compressor protection mode.
OR
-The compressor has actually packed up, in which case doesn't matter if it has a refrigerant charge or not, it's not gonna run.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4586 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
All you guys saying to trick the buyer is going to get us another thread like this:
We bought a used civic from this dealership on Feb 15...

We started driving it again last week when it got too hot +38 and hubby noticed car was blowing not so cold AC and was really uncomfortable to drive in that heat!!!!
We took it to our mechanic and we need to change AC completely at $1300 + tax...

...how could we really check AC air at - 15C outside???!!
ac-broke-2009-honda-civic-bought-feb-ba ... p-2382689/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
Just disclose the problem, or the buyer is going to come back and ask for his money back!!

In other words... don't try to sell the car with AC if you know it is broken... the buyer is going to notice and walk away, wasting everybody's time...
577 upvotes
kitchener
mooudn wrote: Hi folks,
I have a Honda Civic 2009 that I'm wanting to sell in about a year (due to relocation). Unfortunately, the A/C compressor went out on me this summer and to fix my A/C it's going to set me back ~1K. My question is if it's worth fixing it when I'm wanting to sell the car ina year and given that I mostly work from home these days? How much is the value of a car affected at the time of selling if it doesn't have a working A/C?

THanks for your feedback
Whatever money you put in your car, you will never get it back (unless the car is a collectors item).
In your situation, I wouldn't bother....especially if you are planning to trade it in or sell it next year.

Your resale price will be about the same as that of an identical car to yours, with a working AC.
AC is not really on most buyer's radar, (unless of course you are selling the car in the middle of a heat wave), as most people don't realize, that fixing it can get very expensive fast.
Jul 7, 2005
599 posts
172 upvotes
Have you tried swapping out the AC relay under the hood? these cars are notorious for faulty relays.
There are a couple in the same box you can temporarily switch out to see if the AC clutch kicks in, OR you can take out said relay and give it a shake...any rattling will indicate its done.

Check out the relay! it could be a $20-30 problem to mitigate a greater loss when trying to sell the vehicle.
Rarely do you have a total compressor failure, unless a rock has taken out the condenser, refrigerant completely evacuated and over a long period of time the system is exposed to ambient humidity.
Jan 28, 2020
65 posts
36 upvotes
if youre selling. no. jsut let the next guy deal with it
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3985 posts
3176 upvotes
Ottawa
The 1K estimate is not a guarantee that it will be fixed. It may take less or much more to fix it, you don't know the extent of the problem until you have tried diagnosing the problem and have a very good idea of what is required to repair it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12786 posts
7480 upvotes
Brampton
Civics of that Vintage. I bet it's the compressor or the Compressor clutch assembly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6334 posts
972 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tebore wrote: Civics of that Vintage. I bet it's the compressor or the Compressor clutch assembly.
If it's compressor clutch, it's serviceable. Re-shim it, or buy the kit and replace the clutch, hub and coil if needed.

It's very much a DIY job
--
I like detailing cars!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1481 posts
933 upvotes
Toronto
If you're not in any rush, here's a thought... why don't you try listing it below how much it would cost to fix and see if you get any offers?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: Sell it in the winter. They will think the AC is working great (unless they check the compressor). lol
+1 I was about to say that when I read OP's post.

No body care or think about AC when it is doing -25c outside. Face With Tears Of Joy
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)