Careers

CA pursuing CFA career move

[OP]
Nov 11, 2006
584 posts
99 upvotes

CA pursuing CFA career move

I have about 4 years of audit experience (mix big 4 and small CA firms). Now, i am preparing to take the CFA level 1 in June 2012. It seems that i like finance/investments more than general audit work. Could anyone give some advice about possible career moves?
4 replies
Dec 23, 2005
100 posts
18 upvotes
My advice... pursue your interest, write the CFA but you're not going to find a good job in finance/investments until you pass level 2. Try to get your firm to cover as much of the CFA cost as possible - use them as much as you can, they're using you!
[OP]
Nov 11, 2006
584 posts
99 upvotes
Ryan26 wrote: My advice... pursue your interest, write the CFA but you're not going to find a good job in finance/investments until you pass level 2. Try to get your firm to cover as much of the CFA cost as possible - use them as much as you can, they're using you!
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately my firm doesn't cover the cost of the CFA exams ;( Good thing is that the CFA exams are not that expensive ;)
Sep 23, 2011
88 posts
43 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Is it really worth your time to pursue another designation? Do you think that there are career opportunities that are not available to you as a CA with four years of experience, that would exist if you had your CFA?
Aug 17, 2011
448 posts
148 upvotes
CALGARY
Audit is the worst work possible available to public accountants. So you aren't alone in your dislike for it. My recommendation is that if you have it in you, go buy out a small public accounting practice, preferably one where the current practitioner is retiring. Do compilation and tax work, as well as tracking your clients' investments and all that good stuff. The work is interesting, you can make great money, and you never have to touch an audit again.

At the very least it gets you away from audit nonsense without having to undertake another bunch of expensive schooling.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)