CAA vs CdTire vs Costco roadside

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2022 2:43 pm
[OP]
Feb 6, 2017
31 posts
6 upvotes

CAA vs CdTire vs Costco roadside

I' ve been subscribing to CAA for the last couple of years. Had the plus membership and dropped down to basic last year. This year we may do more travelling so I thought of bumping it up to CAA plus for added towing distance. I was reading the CTire deal thread but too late to take advantage of the discounted offer.

Does CTire tow to the repair shop of your choice or whatever they deem as the closest repair shop?

I have a Costco membership and the Costco service is $99 which is $15 cheaper than CAA. Any thoughts?

I my main concern is that if I need my vehicle towed it should be towed to the repair shop I designate and NOT the most convenient shop for the tow truck driver.

CAA also has several other deals as part of their membership as well that I've yet to take advantage of in the two years I've had their card. Should I stick with the leader?

Any promotions for CAA? Nothing showed up on RFD.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
358 upvotes
SaskBerta
I don't know much about the others but I myself have CAA. I'd personally stick with CAA just for the fact their tried and true. And guaranteed to help anywhere in Canada or US.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22303 posts
3164 upvotes
As far as I know CAA is the only provider who allows you to designate your tow destination. Worth it for this reason alone.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5807 posts
3058 upvotes
Winnipeg
I personally have CT, because it is cheap. I only used it once in a rural area, service was decent.

CAA covers driver regardless of the car (suitable for families with multiple car). expensive.
CT covers car regardless of the driver (suitable for families with one car). Gold membership can be as low as 50$ plus free oil change. The free oil change itself pretty much makes this deal a no brainer for me. I know RFD doesn't like CT. But I didn't have any big issue so far. I only go to CT for the free oil change though.
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8603 posts
2373 upvotes
Mississauga
I haven't tried the others but I have CAA and love the service.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13459 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
Does CAA or Costco provide better coverage for travel to the states?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2187 posts
644 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I have never had an issue with CT when I select my shop. I have towed over 200km many times.

If you tow to a CT, it does not count towards yours tows. On one instance I towed to a CT closer to my home and then used my own rope tow to bring to to my preferred shop a few km away.

Costco used to be really good under DAA but I recall the price having increased dramatically.

I otherwise see no difference between providers on a service level because they all call local towing companies to come get you.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29075 posts
4768 upvotes
Montreal
Wpegger wrote: I personally have CT, because it is cheap. I only used it once in a rural area, service was decent.

CAA covers driver regardless of the car (suitable for families with multiple car). expensive.
CT covers car regardless of the driver (suitable for families with one car). Gold membership can be as low as 50$ plus free oil change. The free oil change itself pretty much makes this deal a no brainer for me. I know RFD doesn't like CT. But I didn't have any big issue so far. I only go to CT for the free oil change though.
Actually CT is better for multiple cars if you only want one car covered, but have multiple drivers. With CAA you would have to get two memberships to in the event both people may use the car.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
mr_raider wrote: Actually CT is better for multiple cars if you only want one car covered, but have multiple drivers. With CAA you would have to get two memberships to in the event both people may use the car.
One service IS the best...and the rest are the rest..roadside(travel and insurance) assistance IS CAA/AAA 's business...the rest are just trying to cut their piece of the pie..and will tell you/sell you everything you want hear..whether they deliver is another thing.....CAA/AAA are the best
Dec 16, 2014
925 posts
508 upvotes
Easter Island
the only time i needed CAA, they showed up 48 hours after intial request (battery died during winter)
cancelled service asap, never again. use CT now
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29075 posts
4768 upvotes
Montreal
karakoram wrote: the only time i needed CAA, they showed up 48 hours after intial request (battery died during winter)
cancelled service asap, never again. use CT now
I notice the lowest tier of CT does not offer flatbed towing. I have an AWD car. What do they do? Charge extra?
Feb 22, 2006
196 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I pay for the Costco roadside, and used their services a few times, and never had an issue. A couple of calls were for a dead battery in one of the coldest days of the winter, and they came to my vehicle within 30 minutes. Also, I've had them tow to wherever I have requested, with no issues. The one thing that I like about Costco's roadside is that it covers the driver. We have 2 cars, and if I need to have a service to either of them, I just have to make sure I am there.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2004
1571 posts
341 upvotes
Ajax
uahmed wrote: I pay for the Costco roadside, and used their services a few times, and never had an issue. A couple of calls were for a dead battery in one of the coldest days of the winter, and they came to my vehicle within 30 minutes. Also, I've had them tow to wherever I have requested, with no issues. The one thing that I like about Costco's roadside is that it covers the driver. We have 2 cars, and if I need to have a service to either of them, I just have to make sure I am there.
Bingo. Same here. Nothing but positive experience. Also twice i requested a flat bed to tow to my mechanic, no issues.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16779 posts
12002 upvotes
Toronto
Dealstalker2 wrote: I' ve been subscribing to CAA for the last couple of years. Had the plus membership and dropped down to basic last year. This year we may do more travelling so I thought of bumping it up to CAA plus for added towing distance. I was reading the CTire deal thread but too late to take advantage of the discounted offer.

Does CTire tow to the repair shop of your choice or whatever they deem as the closest repair shop?

I have a Costco membership and the Costco service is $99 which is $15 cheaper than CAA. Any thoughts?

I my main concern is that if I need my vehicle towed it should be towed to the repair shop I designate and NOT the most convenient shop for the tow truck driver.

CAA also has several other deals as part of their membership as well that I've yet to take advantage of in the two years I've had their card. Should I stick with the leader?

Any promotions for CAA? Nothing showed up on RFD.

search dude:

what-best-roadside-assistance-company-1327618/

dumped-caa-daa-costco-roadside-assistance-80-a-1436500/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/caa-membership-2050819/

costco-roadside-assist-question-1376435/

roadside-assistance-costco-vs-caa-550728/
Last edited by Swerny on Apr 3rd, 2017 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sep 7, 2007
338 posts
180 upvotes
Woodstock
The main advantage of CAA over Canadian Tire is that the CT plan is tied to a specific car and owner. I can use my CAA card when driving any car or even riding with a friend.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
29075 posts
4768 upvotes
Montreal
oldyellr wrote: The main advantage of CAA over Canadian Tire is that the CT plan is tied to a specific car and owner. I can use my CAA card when driving any car or even riding with a friend.
Which in my case would be a disadvantage since I want both drivers covered but only for one car. At least they discount the associate membership.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I've had CAA for years and never had issues.

You get towed to where you want provided you're within the distance limit (or, pay for going beyond). They show up pretty quick usually. If you tow your buddy's car they usually don't make a stink about it. Just give them license plate and vehicle info, and be there to show your card.

I can't comment on CT but for CAA you get what you paid for.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18632 posts
6033 upvotes
London
mr_raider wrote: I notice the lowest tier of CT does not offer flatbed towing. I have an AWD car. What do they do? Charge extra?
Many regular tow trucks have a portable dolly system so they can tow an AWD with all wheels off the ground.

edit - went through the CT t&c, they don't cover dolly towing either , so SOL

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)