Automotive

CAA vs nothing. how much does a tow cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 11:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
733 posts
314 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…

CAA vs nothing. how much does a tow cost?

My car is coming up to the end of warranty and I'll lose the manufacturer roadside assistance.

Looking at CAA and it's $117 for one person but doesn't show what it would cost for a second person.
I have two cars and a spouse.

Having had 2 blowouts over 30 years driving.
Both times, I changed myself and kept going. DIY no longer an option as both cars only come with slime. Can't do much when your tire is shredded into pieces.
I'm wondering if it's worth paying yearly vs just calling the tow truck when I need a tow.

What is everyone doing here?
27 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
I used to have a car without a mini spare. I just bought one and threw it in the trunk.
I also have the Canadian Tire WE Triangle credit card, which comes with free roadside assistance.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Dec 28, 2017
404 posts
177 upvotes
Burlington
Many credit cards gives roadside assistance. However.. it's only for towing .. there's lots of terms and conditions.. so be careful of it.. CA your credit card company to see what's included and what's not
Jul 3, 2017
191 posts
293 upvotes
With four vehicles without any warranties in our household, I have one as a primary only. If any other family member needs tow, etc., I can usually show up within half an hour to arrange for CAA to get to the scene and arrange for tow. I started getting it back in the '90's when I had VW Jetta that was amazingly unreliable and didn't start when I needed it to start. Thus, no more German vehicles since 90's and hadn't had to use it for 25 years (had 1 Dodge, 1 Toyota, 1 Honda, and 4 Acura during those time span), except helping a friend tow his SUV to the shop and he didn't have CAA. Just recently, my son's Ford Focus had electrical issue and it didn't start over the winter. Used tow service twice and it was well worth it. Besides, I also use CAA's other services, like travel and registry in Alberta and number of highway travel we do, it's a cheap insurance. $120 annual fee/4 vehicles=$30/vehicle. Don't get the basic membership and get the one that has 240km tow distance.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
ayufan wrote: Many credit cards gives roadside assistance. However.. it's only for towing .. there's lots of terms and conditions.. so be careful of it.. CA your credit card company to see what's included and what's not
What more do you need than towing? There's nothing wrong with the towing terms.
Dec 28, 2017
404 posts
177 upvotes
Burlington
engineered wrote: What more do you need than towing? There's nothing wrong with the towing terms.
I got towed once.. but credit card wouldn't honor it .. I forgot the reason. It doesn't hurt to ask your cc company anyway.
Jun 11, 2015
482 posts
517 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CAA isn't worth it for me.

Flat tire away from home? Get a family member to bring you a spare.

Dead battery? Get a friend or family member to bring a booster pack or pay $50 for a cab to do it.

I've never been locked out of my car as automatic/remote door locks make it hard to do that.

YMMV.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13791 posts
183682 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

CAA is mostly a peace of mind, that's all. The older the car, it is better to have. If you drive a lot, it ends up worth it, Plus, there are a few stores you can get a bit of discount...

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18637 posts
6033 upvotes
London
CAA Membership $ X 10 = One accident tow by Lyons in GTA $$$$$
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
l69norm wrote: CAA Membership $ X 10 = One accident tow by Lyons in GTA $$$$$
stop with useless factless posts..

Lyons ONLY does business is Mississauga...

..you cant even quote the cost nor do you know the difference in service and why ..

CAA is a personal service...do you need it?...will it benefit you?

...if you answered no...then live with your choice....average tow if you are local is $75 hook + $3/km om the cheap end....if you are somewhere else...many companies with charge mileage TO your breakdown depending in location...also these are base rates that generally dont include dollies/flatbed (for AWD vehicles) or medium duty if you vehicle is over 5000lbs...all of these costs are covered by CAA

and to the poster that calls family to solve his problems...its all good till you end up in one of a million different scenarios where you cant get help and you kids and family are stuck somewhere
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
engineered wrote: What more do you need than towing? There's nothing wrong with the towing terms.
+1. I am wondering the same thing. what's wrong with seeking towing from your CC benefit? (unless they truly aren't honoring it, then isn't it called false advertising then?)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7863 posts
4662 upvotes
West GTEH!
Generally, on average a tow is minimum $125. That's what I heard the price was a few years ago. Could be the same now or a little bit more.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9992 posts
7942 upvotes
Kootenays
We've been CAA members for 30+ years. Not only is it good piece of mind, but the savings on our optional car insurance in BC has more than offset the membership fees. Over the years, we've used it for tows a couple of times, including pulling my son's buddy out of a ditch on a very slippery day last winter. In my mind, it paid for multiple yearly fees when my wife locked her purse, keys and passport in her car after parking in the weekly parking lot at the Calgary airport 2 hours before her flight to Toronto. They were there and had her in the car and on the flight with time to spare.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8724 posts
2374 upvotes
MrMimizu wrote: My car is coming up to the end of warranty and I'll lose the manufacturer roadside assistance.

Looking at CAA and it's $117 for one person but doesn't show what it would cost for a second person.
I have two cars and a spouse.

Having had 2 blowouts over 30 years driving.
Both times, I changed myself and kept going. DIY no longer an option as both cars only come with slime. Can't do much when your tire is shredded into pieces.
I'm wondering if it's worth paying yearly vs just calling the tow truck when I need a tow.

What is everyone doing here?
CAA follows the person, and not the car. You could probably get away with one membership. On top of that, CAA doesn't care whether you are there are not. I've called CAA many times for friends though out the years and hasn't been an issue. The drivers don't even check.

Also check with your auto insurance company, they offer roadside assistance as well.
Jun 11, 2015
482 posts
517 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cardguy wrote: and to the poster that calls family to solve his problems...its all good till you end up in one of a million different scenarios where you cant get help and you kids and family are stuck somewhere
I get a flat about once every three years. 50% of the time it's a slow leak that I notice at home. 25% of the time my family can bring a tire. 25% of the time I call a tow truck. So I call a tow truck about once a decade.

Regardless of how much you overpay, one tow truck per decade is MUCH MUCH cheaper than $100/year for CAA.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19471 posts
22607 upvotes
GTA
EPcjay wrote: CAA follows the person, and not the car. You could probably get away with one membership. On top of that, CAA doesn't care whether you are there are not. I've called CAA many times for friends though out the years and hasn't been an issue. The drivers don't even check.

Also check with your auto insurance company, they offer roadside assistance as well.
+1, the only times I used a tow service in my life, I used my dad's CAA membership. They don't ever seem to confirm who the person is. I think I only used it twice, once for a coolant pump, the other for a dead battery.
Apr 7, 2007
132 posts
40 upvotes
Check with your insurance company; they may have some additional offering for roadside assistance. I'm with BelAir and they recently starting offering this. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, it costs like $65 something a year, and doesn't affect your premiums.

Pretty decent coverage IMO: https://www.belairdirect.com/en/roadsid ... tance.html
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16983 posts
14591 upvotes
GTA, ON
TWELVES wrote: I've never been locked out of my car as automatic/remote door locks make it hard to do that.

YMMV.
Stupid can happen. My wife called me a few years ago to bring her the spare car key because she locked her keys in the car. I was bewildered because how the heck do you lock your keys in the car when you have a remote? She had dropped her keys in the trunk and shut the trunk. She had popped the trunk to put groceries in the back, and hadn't pressed the unlock button yet.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Aug 13, 2011
733 posts
314 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
Thanks for the info guys.
I've never needed a tow so have been on the fence about getting roadside assistance.
Not even sure how I'd find a tow truck if I got stranded while on the highway out of town.

I checked with my insurance and it looks like Intact doesn't have roadside assistance for Ontario. I found it on google but it disappeared when I told the site I was in Ontario.
I'll have to find out if I'm getting a discount for having it now. If yes, might be worth it.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11096 posts
4339 upvotes
Love CAA. I treat it as cheap insurance for when our cars break down. Especially good if you're running older vehicles. Used them once on xmas day - they were so quick to respond, towed directly to my mechanic of choice and they were also kind enough to put the car key in the drop box. We made our dinner. Life saver. Been with them for quite along time, Nothing but good experience with them.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus