Expired Hot Deals

[Cabelas] Black Diamond Storm 350 Headlamp $26.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 9:12 pm
Jr. Member
Feb 29, 2016
159 posts
85 upvotes
kingpin748 wrote: What are you even talking about? Why would I need something with a 18650 in it for camping? I want a small compact headlamp that is as light as possible. I've got a few 18650 flashlight hanging around and while they are fun they aren't my goto. Gate-keep much?
Agreed. Maybe 18650s are good for front country camping? For my hiking/camping through multi-day purposes, I am simply looking for a reliable, light, rechargeable headlamp that has a red light mode.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
8112 posts
4499 upvotes
Alberta
MooseV2 wrote: Great deal. I’d trust black diamond with my life.
Black Diamond better than Petzl?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2543 posts
921 upvotes
Ottawa
kingpin748 wrote: What are you even talking about? Why would I need something with a 18650 in it for camping? I want a small compact headlamp that is as light as possible. I've got a few 18650 flashlight hanging around and while they are fun they aren't my goto. Gate-keep much?
finally i might make it onto /r/gatekeeping.
Jr. Member
Nov 22, 2013
182 posts
181 upvotes
lykwd888 wrote: Agreed. Maybe 18650s are good for front country camping? For my hiking/camping through multi-day purposes, I am simply looking for a reliable, light, rechargeable headlamp that has a red light mode.
Totally agree. I had an old storm with 4 AAA’s and thought it was too heavy for hiking. I wouldn’t even consider bringing a 18650 due to weight.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
9679 posts
2334 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you're doing multi day camping, camp travelling without always access to electricity or camping in fall/spring where the sun sets early, it's good to know that there's plenty juice to go around, not have the "range anxiety" of EV, but for a headlamp lol, or have to worry about charging and carrying spare AAAs

Kinda like have a water filter with you, sure you can carry as much water as you want but the peace of mind to know that if you run out you can just filter away.
Anyhow that little headlamp is cheap if you want to try it out and it isn't that big and weight the same as the Storm with 4xAAA, less actually if you take into account the extra set of AAAs
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 25, 2006
187 posts
152 upvotes
Calgary
jackrabbit000 wrote: Black Diamond better than Petzl?
I got a 10 year old Petzl that I take with me that I love. That Black Diamond for $26 is a steal though and it's perfect for putting up a tent in the dark. They both get great reviews for back country stuff.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
9679 posts
2334 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Randalpink73 wrote: Totally agree. I had an old storm with 4 AAA’s and thought it was too heavy for hiking. I wouldn’t even consider bringing a 18650 due to weight.
Same here, when I bring one "just in case", I'll reach out for the 3xAAA one, but maybe at some point I'll replace it with a single AA one (80% capacity of 3xAAA), why don't they make them! It cost just a few cents more to outfit a headlamp with a boost/step-up LED driver vs a buck/step down driver...and a few cents more for a regulated one.

But between the 4xAAA Storm and my D10, the 18650 is actually better balanced imo, feels pretty confy on my head.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)