[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
17 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa

[Cabelas] Thermacell patio shield repeller

Other thermacell products also on sale
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97721/th ... 66&ps=True

Saw someone was able to also get the thermacell with holster which is usually around $45+ for $29 but YMMV
434 replies
Jun 6, 2011
122 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
I don't know if this company blew all it's cash on R&D and don't have any left for marketing and that's why this product isn't more popular.

Seriously, Thermacells WORK. Like, really really well. Nothing's come close to how effective this is. You'll still get the odd mosquito kamikazing through but nothing else on the market besides a physical net creates a perimeter of mosquito free space.

Yes, it’s expensive – the refills aren’t cheap either. But it’s a complete no-brainer for me. Every camp trip and cottage I go to I have to explain this to people and I just don’t get it. Everyone complains about mosquitos and here’s an actual solution and barely anyone knows about it.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
17 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought both the patio one and portable one, will test before I go camping. Anyone who used it before have indicated to me that's this is awesome and works.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2013
17 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa
For folks in Ottawa, Cabela's is out of the radius zone refill cartridges in store.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2149 posts
297 upvotes
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 3:42 pm
I don't know if this company blew all it's cash on R&D and don't have any left for marketing and that's why this product isn't more popular.

Seriously, Thermacells WORK. Like, really really well. Nothing's come close to how effective this is. You'll still get the odd mosquito kamikazing through but nothing else on the market besides a physical net creates a perimeter of mosquito free space.

Yes, it’s expensive – the refills aren’t cheap either. But it’s a complete no-brainer for me. Every camp trip and cottage I go to I have to explain this to people and I just don’t get it. Everyone complains about mosquitos and here’s an actual solution and barely anyone knows about it.
I think it's due to cost and long term relying on refills. With the zappers, you just need to recharge or plug in, not rely on cartridges. Also, these refills aren't cheap either. But I would like to hear more feedback on these. Also, if you want one to kill indoor mosquitos, this looks like it just repells them and not kill, so the zappers might be better for that.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4785 posts
1004 upvotes
Do you guys find citronella candles to be effective for you?

What kind of radius does the Thermacell cover?
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Jun 6, 2011
122 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
mtlboy wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:28 pm
I think it's due to cost and long term relying on refills. With the zappers, you just need to recharge or plug in, not rely on cartridges. Also, these refills aren't cheap either. But I would like to hear more feedback on these. Also, if you want one to kill indoor mosquitos, this looks like it just repells them and not kill, so the zappers might be better for that.
Yeah, not recommended for indoor use - this a chemical I'd rather not mix in with stagnant air. mind you, still feels safer than spraying DEET into my eyes haha. Yes, this repells them, not kill. But look at it this way, flip this thing on, and you've got hours of not having to worry or even think about mosquitos while enjoying what little time you have of that gorgeous Canadian summer. If you want to spend that time chansing and zapping bugs, moving the coils around because wtf is that mosquito on my leg, spraying chemicals all over your body, then this isn't for you.

Cost does seem to be the main sticking point for people but I'm going to go out of my way to make my 5 months of heaven as pleasant as possible. Mosquitos ruin everything in the summer, so for me, this is priceless.
Jul 22, 2014
649 posts
1089 upvotes
Calgary, AB
mtlboy wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:28 pm
You definitely don't want to use the ThermaCell indoors for health reasons.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1891 posts
1501 upvotes
I agree that they work very well.
But, with the ubiquity of large capacity rechargeable Lithium batteries, it is high time for this company to come up with a new battery-powered, electrically-heated version of the Thermacells, instead of the expensive (and proprietary and non-rechargeable) butane cartridge based ones.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2149 posts
297 upvotes
ahoroba wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:42 pm
But, with the ubiquity of large capacity rechargeable Lithium batteries, it is high time for this company to come up with a new battery-powered, electrically-heated version of the Thermacells, instead of the expensive (and proprietary and non-rechargeable) butane cartridge based ones.
Love the big words! lol but do you recommend any cordless zappers? I want one for inside/outside and the Stinger one at Lowes is sold out online
Nov 24, 2009
105 posts
168 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 3:42 pm

It's probalby just that no one is going to believe their marketing no matter how much they say it works. Everyone thinks that no mosquito repellants truely work, word of mouth is the best marketing tool for these. I've been using them for years and LOVE them and although it's annoying to buy pads and cartridges it's well worth it to have a mosquito free area.

When I first got it, I could not beleive how well it worked. I actually thought that maybe that night the mosquitoes were not bad. Only took one walk to the bathroom outside of the thermacell zone to realize how well it works!
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3831 posts
603 upvotes
Windsor
ahoroba wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:42 pm
Their new version is exactly that...

https://www.thermacell.com/collections/radius
Jun 6, 2011
122 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
fusack wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:44 pm
It's probalby just that no one is going to believe their marketing no matter how much they say it works. Everyone thinks that no mosquito repellants truely work, word of mouth is the best marketing tool for these. I've been using them for years and LOVE them and although it's annoying to buy pads and cartridges it's well worth it to have a mosquito free area.

When I first got it, I could not beleive how well it worked. I actually thought that maybe that night the mosquitoes were not bad. Only took one walk to the bathroom outside of the thermacell zone to realize how well it works!
That's the thing; even RFD doesn't seem to discuss it much, although I'll admit I haven't searched. Joe Rogan mentioned it once which is what got me on it. This product has saved my summers.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1920 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
Question for those that have used this. So it seems you need to buy mats (which last 4 hours) and cartridges (which last 12 hours). Are they both one-time use or can I turn it off and use later? Its likely once you open the mat,it has to be used but is the cartridge the same?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Whoaness