None
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25303 posts
3425 upvotes
Hamilton
theposter wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2019 11:19 pm
If all you need is a mosquito free patio or yard, stick with the coil. Way cheaper to run and just as effective.

38¢ vs 2.3$ per 4 hours, not including the cost of the machine
Used 3 coils at a time yesterday and still had mosquitos.

Probably lessened it but didn’t get rid of totally
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1937 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of great information in this thread.

I'm stuck between either getting the backpacker (which would require me to also carry a tank) or getting the patio shield which seems more convenient (which requires the butane bottles but youtube has videos on how to refill these yourself). My use case is for the backyard but also when we go camping or hiking, so portability is key as well. I have a feeling I may end up buying both if I cant make up my mind.
Jan 22, 2012
22 posts
11 upvotes
VANCOUVER
bpcrally wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 6:09 pm
So if I'm understanding this correctly, If you don't care about looks, the backpacker is probably the cheapest one to run?

Being able to attach any tank seems like a benefit vs the regular one. I'm just getting caught up on this thread. Mosquitoes have been bad this year!
I had this dilemma.
I know wife won’t like the backpacker on the patio though.
Went for the radius.
Little extra cost for a happy wife #worthit
Jan 26, 2012
270 posts
33 upvotes
Surrey
greensmartie wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 10:42 am
I had this dilemma.
I know wife won’t like the backpacker on the patio though.
Went for the radius.
Little extra cost for a happy wife #worthit
I had the same dilemma but still went with the backapacker as it will be more cheaper in the long run. also the idea of built in battery was a turn off for me. Not sure if they are replaceable unlike the backpacker where you only need to replace the isobutane which last very long and cheap.
Jul 11, 2007
409 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
I went and got the Radius and Patio Shield, my theory is, Radius need electricity to work, and Patio Shield use cartridge and mat; so they can be use in different situation. I also got the zapper and will be deploy them outside of the thermacell zone and in the tent during camping trip. I will also use coil in certain spot on campground.
I am the least attractive person to mosquito in the family, so it's hard for me to judge if things works or not, hopefully to hear good result about this anti-bugs strategy from wife and kids during and after the Canada Day weekend camping trip!
Jun 6, 2011
132 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
theposter wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2019 11:19 pm
If all you need is a mosquito free patio or yard, stick with the coil. Way cheaper to run and just as effective.

38¢ vs 2.3$ per 4 hours, not including the cost of the machine
Which coils do you buy and where from?
Nov 6, 2009
839 posts
127 upvotes
Radius with Atmosphere FF coupon and 20% off sport chek gift card offers the best value for long term backyard use and convenience.
Backpack seems to offer the best convenience and value if purchased from Atmosphere with above listed discounts

Combination of cheap coils and Thermacell might get desired results, yet to test.
Jun 6, 2011
132 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
Oof, so coming home from a weekend in the bush with my tail between my legs and mosquito bites everywhere.

This was the first time I deployed my old school traditional Thermacell Patio unit beyond my patio and, sad to report, it did not fair very well. One Thermacell unit running did next to nothing during the parts of the day mosquitos tend to come out most - we were destroyed at dusk even though I was basically holding the unit in my hand. All sorts of bugs would fly around and directly over the Thermacell vapours and land on my arm.

I still stand by this technology for inner city patio use, but might have to rethink approach to camping and cottaging. They work great when you're in human territory but more units are required when you're in mosquito territory. Maybe 3 or 4 of them around us would have done a better job but I can imagine costs really starting to run away on you at that level. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 11, 2007
409 posts
76 upvotes
GTA
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2019 11:32 am
Oof, so coming home from a weekend in the bush with my tail between my legs and mosquito bites everywhere.

This was the first time I deployed my old school traditional Thermacell Patio unit beyond my patio and, sad to report, it did not fair very well. One Thermacell unit running did next to nothing during the parts of the day mosquitos tend to come out most - we were destroyed at dusk even though I was basically holding the unit in my hand. All sorts of bugs would fly around and directly over the Thermacell vapours and land on my arm.

I still stand by this technology for inner city patio use, but might have to rethink approach to camping and cottaging. They work great when you're in human territory but more units are required when you're in mosquito territory. Maybe 3 or 4 of them around us would have done a better job but I can imagine costs really starting to run away on you at that level. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
oh uh.. we are going to Algonquin in a few days.... anyone know which product off shelf at canadiantire has permethrin ?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1384 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
polish_jr333 wrote:

Same. Just back from Muskoka and was eaten alive by mosquitoes and black flies attacking in swarms despite having one Thermacell next to me on the dock. I had to resort to Deep Woods 25% DEET spray to keep them away while I fished into the setting sun. I'm hoping to find a solution that will allow me to stay out in the evening without using DEET.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1618 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto
polish_jr333 wrote:

The only way to be bite free is lose clothing and no exposed skin. All these bug spray wouldn't do a darn thing when hiking thru the amazon forest. I had to wear my fleece lined shell jacket with hood up and zipped together to stop them from going thru my tshirt.