Jun 6, 2011
132 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
G77 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:45 pm
Their new version is exactly that...

https://www.thermacell.com/collections/radius
I just learned this new battery operated option exists but so far it seems it's not as easy to buy cartridges in Canada. No matter, I think I'll get one and make a huge trip to the board at the beginning of every summer.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3846 posts
604 upvotes
Windsor
polish_jr333 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:49 pm
I just learned this new battery operated option exists but so far it seems it's not as easy to buy cartridges in Canada. No matter, I think I'll get one and make a huge trip to the board at the beginning of every summer.
I'm definitely curious to try it, the butane ones are definitely effective but the cartridges are a pain. I live near to the border so picking up the refills wouldn't be an issue for me.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1212 posts
500 upvotes
Calgary
polish_jr333 wrote:
G77 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:51 pm
I'm definitely curious to try it, the butane ones are definitely effective but the cartridges are a pain. I live near to the border so picking up the refills wouldn't be an issue for me.
As mentioned in my post earlier, Cabela's sells both the new battery operated Gen.2 unit (which is actually on sale right now) and 40-hr refill cartridges. No need to go across the board.

ThermaCELL® Radius Zone Mosquito Repellent - $58.99: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/119332/t ... -repellent
Refill cartridges - $29.99: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/119334/t ... l-40-hours
Nov 24, 2009
110 posts
168 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
.fess wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 4:56 pm
As mentioned in my post earlier, Cabela's sells both the new battery operated Gen.2 unit (which is actually on sale right now) and 40-hr refill cartridges. No need to go across the board.

ThermaCELL® Radius Zone Mosquito Repellent - $58.99: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/119332/t ... -repellent
Refill cartridges - $29.99: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/119334/t ... l-40-hours
How do you know this is the gen2? It doesn't mention it anywhere.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1212 posts
500 upvotes
Calgary
fusack wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 5:07 pm
How do you know this is the gen2? It doesn't mention it anywhere.
This is how Gen2 looks like

gen2.png

This is Gen 1

gen1.png
Apr 11, 2006
675 posts
340 upvotes
Richmond
I'm really interested in getting one of these for my camping trip next month. Anyone know if there's a way to refill the Radius cartridges or a cheaper alternative? $30/pack seems pretty pricey....
Jan 16, 2005
704 posts
211 upvotes
I have had the hand held portable ones for a few years now. Work great when no wind. I have two so I put them around us when on the deck or camping. Just like a coil. Always forget to turn off and empty cell.

You can refill cell youself. Just pull hard with pliers on the brass fitting and out it comes. Pull close to plastic so it doesn't damage seal and top part. Now there is a one way valve inside just below where the brass fits in. Take a drywall screw and give it a couple of turns in. Grip the screw with pliers and pull again. Out comes valve at he end of the screw. Now press brass fitting back in. Some say to glue it in but I have never. Have a whole collection of cells I refill before going camping and bring the butane can along as well.

The butane I use is from canadian tire. It has many fittings in the cap.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/magt ... p.html#srp

Also bought some chinese pads really cheap but never used yet.
Apr 19, 2007
256 posts
60 upvotes
York
Thanks OP,
Got the rechargeable version and two of the cartridges for the free shipping cut-off.
2% GCR as well.
Now, do I really need this (or will I even remember to use it)?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
1925 posts
1537 upvotes
kidd604 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 5:32 pm
I'm really interested in getting one of these for my camping trip next month. Anyone know if there's a way to refill the Radius cartridges or a cheaper alternative? $30/pack seems pretty pricey....
The article linked below mentions several cheap hacks for the ThermaCELL.
Step 1 teaches how to alter the butane cartridge to make it refillable.
Step 2 teaches re-coating the spent mats with a liquid product sold as mosquito repellent for horses (the product name is Celebration Spot-On, sold at Tractor Supply Company (TSC) country hardware stores).
A friend tried re-coating with permethrin, and it worked very well, similar results as the original stuff.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Improv ... hermacell/
Jun 6, 2011
132 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
esq05 wrote:
Question for those that have used this. So it seems you need to buy mats (which last 4 hours) and cartridges (which last 12 hours). Are they both one-time use or can I turn it off and use later? Its likely once you open the mat,it has to be used but is the cartridge the same?
It's not one time use. The units have on off switches. The pads last about 4 hours and you'll see when they're done as they change colour. The Butane stops running once you turn off the unit. Think of it like your BBQ - turn on the gas, spark it, and it goes, turn it off and it all stops.
Nov 12, 2013
82 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
FYI,
CanadianTire also sells Thermacell products. The 12 pack refills seem cheaper at CT $29.99 vs Cabelas $32.99
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2539 posts
740 upvotes
Kingston
I’ve used Off mats from their tea light mosquito things before in Thermacells. Not quite the same size but does the job.
Dec 8, 2009
188 posts
87 upvotes
I purchased the battery Gen 2 model yesterday from Sail and got them to price match Cabelas. I also see that Canadian Tire sells the 40hr refills for new model which is very convenient. Thanks OP for saving me a couple of bucks!!
Apr 16, 2007
46 posts
39 upvotes
Guys,

I’ve bought three portable Thermacell devices last year and I can confirm that they work extremely well.

I also followed the tutorials to remove the valve in the butane cartridge so I could refill for pennies.

I bought permethrin online and regularly recoat the used pads I have. Again, huge economy here.

With these two ’hacks’ you can use this incredibly efficient device for the whole season without much added cost.

Couldn’t be happier!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2891 posts
101 upvotes
Oakville
Vieux wrote:
Jun 17th, 2019 11:50 am
Guys,

I’ve bought three portable Thermacell devices last year and I can confirm that they work extremely well.

I also followed the tutorials to remove the valve in the butane cartridge so I could refill for pennies.

I bought permethrin online and regularly recoat the used pads I have. Again, huge economy here.

With these two ’hacks’ you can use this incredibly efficient device for the whole season without much added cost.

Couldn’t be happier!
Where do you buy the permethrin online?