Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3877 posts
2791 upvotes
Toronto

Cabinet refinishing cost

We have wood cabinets that we are looking to have redone in white by a company. We were quoted right around $6500 to have this done, which seems insanely high. Doors removed, stripped and sprayed offsite, base cabinets on the walls etc all sprayed in home in white.

We have about the same size kitchen as this picture. http://mister-bills.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0-61kb.jpg

Has anyone else had this done? What was the approx cost?

Thanks
------------------------------------
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9553 posts
2172 upvotes
Somewhere
I got 10 quotes when I was doing research into this last year.

I lost my spreadsheet, but for my standard 10' x 10' kitchen with an island (same colour and size as yours, also going to white), I was quoted $3,500 - $7,000. I found the companies through Kijiji and Google.

We ended up doing the whole job ourselves. Removed all doors and pulls. Washed them with TSP. Sanded it down. Applied primer and two coats of Benjamin Moore Advance (the only paint that should be used for this) with spray gun. Installed new pulls. Still looks great a year later. It's a lot of work. I think $4,000 - $5,000 would be a fair price for someone else to do it for you.

As a baseline, you should get a quote from the Home Depot cabinet refinishing service.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
668 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I got a quote of about $6,000 from some company that I saw at the Home Show for my kitchen which is maybe 12'x7'. While their work certainly looked impressive I'm not about to pay that so I did exactly what the poster above did, but I used a roller as I'm too cheap to rent or buy a spray gun. I would have preferred to use an oil paint but its not so easy to find anymore. The BM Advance is fine but some of it actually rubbed off while I was wiping down one of the cabinets. Still, its held up well and I'd use it again. I'm so happy that when we installed these cupboards, almost 20 years ago now, I picked a simple slab front. No trim, no mouldings, no indents. Just a smooth, plain front. It made sanding and painting a breeze. I just rolled it on with a small roller. Two years later, they still look good.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1468 posts
277 upvotes
Grimsby
I have a friend who was well pleased with the cabinet refinishing - for a while. Then as the kitchen was used she found her paint chipped off far too easily. Perhaps the cleaning of the doors prior to painting was not done right, who knows but a lot of money was spend and she is not happy with the end result.

As noted above, DIY is great as you ensure the job is done to your own satisfaction and financial well being. On rolling I always buy the more expensive sponge rollers at Canadian Tire and for cabinetry I cut them in half and use on a 3 inch handle. Being sure to remove any debris from the roller sleeve where I cut it in half.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5941 posts
5124 upvotes
Painting cabinets are very expensive. I paid $1200 from a guy I found on Kijiji - he took them offsite. 2 years later they're still in decent shape. He also painted the whole house for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1108 posts
144 upvotes
Mississauga
CoolDudeClan wrote: We have wood cabinets that we are looking to have redone in white by a company. We were quoted right around $6500 to have this done, which seems insanely high. Doors removed, stripped and sprayed offsite, base cabinets on the walls etc all sprayed in home in white.

We have about the same size kitchen as this picture. http://mister-bills.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0-61kb.jpg

Has anyone else had this done? What was the approx cost?

Thanks
Last job was $3,500 , I would change the cabinets , looks straightforward.
CoNtRaCtOr
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2002
3524 posts
235 upvotes
Newfoundland (Former…
hierophant wrote: Painting cabinets are very expensive. I paid $1200 from a guy I found on Kijiji - he took them offsite. 2 years later they're still in decent shape. He also painted the whole house for me.
Would you be able to give me his contact as we're looking to get it painted as well. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3622 posts
539 upvotes
Would love to get the contact too if that's okay.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff146 wrote: Would you be able to give me his contact as we're looking to get it painted as well. Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5941 posts
5124 upvotes
I'm not in the GTA ,also it's not high quality work but it's decent. Be sure to insist he uses drop sheets and painting tape. He use neither and created quite the mess on the floors. If still interested message me and I will send it.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4326 posts
673 upvotes
I had a bunch of quotes last year, the ones that really know what they are doing and also willing to add cabinets and high end finishing trim etc are fairly expensive.
At the same time I saw quite a few quotes which would probably be around 3k-4k but it just didn't feel like you would get a high end finish from them.
After a while I started to look into redoing everything which also allows to change setup/layout and if you find the right people, it's probably not that much more expensive (I'm being subjective here).
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1218 posts
446 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: I got 10 quotes when I was doing research into this last year.

I lost my spreadsheet, but for my standard 10' x 10' kitchen with an island (same colour and size as yours, also going to white), I was quoted $3,500 - $7,000. I found the companies through Kijiji and Google.

We ended up doing the whole job ourselves. Removed all doors and pulls. Washed them with TSP. Sanded it down. Applied primer and two coats of Benjamin Moore Advance (the only paint that should be used for this) with spray gun. Installed new pulls. Still looks great a year later. It's a lot of work. I think $4,000 - $5,000 would be a fair price for someone else to do it for you.

As a baseline, you should get a quote from the Home Depot cabinet refinishing service.
Interested what kind of sprayer did you use? Hvlp or airless? Rent or bought? Thanks
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1190 posts
260 upvotes
OTTAWA
Last year I got quotes to refacing my kitchen cabinets. The price was from $2,500.- to $4,500.- (Home Depot). Recently I find the Ikea cabinets are very reasonably priced. I might change the wall cabinets and reface the floor cabinets.
Dec 6, 2009
5 posts
1 upvote
Late response but like professional i can give some tips

Quick Kitchen Cabinets Refinishing DIY Guide

#1 Prep is you Key (Remove doors ,hinges, clean with tsp , light sand 320 grit ,remove any dust (day 1)
#2 Use 2 coats primer in 2nd day (I use Stix great bonding primer) dry for 12 hours minimum (day2)
#3 Start you day Light sanding with 320 sandpaper ,Vacuum any dust and Start Painting We use Factory Coatings (Pre-, Post-, Cat Laquers, Conversion Varnish and others )
but BM Advance alkyd is a great option apply 1 coat (Day 3)
#4 Start you day light Sanding again and clean any dust Apply 2nd coat BM Advance and take a look
Some colors 3rd coat is required
#5 Remove paper,plastic and Clean you job is done !

very important is temperature around 20c is ok and air moving
this is based in a 10X10 kitchen and island .
2 painters X 8 hours a day / 5 days

www.javapainting.ca
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1033 posts
420 upvotes
Mississauga
hierophant wrote: Painting cabinets are very expensive. I paid $1200 from a guy I found on Kijiji - he took them offsite. 2 years later they're still in decent shape. He also painted the whole house for me.
Hi, this is last year's thread, I hope you don't mind to share your contact with this Kijiji kitchen cabinet refinishing as I am interested to refinishing my kitchen. I will PM to you. Thanks.
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
43 upvotes
You can swap the doors with mdf and thermofoil but make sure it’s from a reputable place made to order