[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22030 posts
25647 upvotes
Toronto

Cadillac CT6 first to offer factory dashcam

pretty neat setup

When the video recording system is activated, the cameras can capture video in one of two modes: using the front and rear cameras during vehicle operation or using all four cameras in a round-robin fashion when the vehicle security system is armed.

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/c ... -view.html

http://video.cadillac.com/images-and-vi ... b6a5fedce5
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
14 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14734 posts
9157 upvotes
Toronto
Love the press release:

Cadillac expects the surround-vision video recording system to be used by CT6 owners to record events such as a memorable drive, for security in the case of a vehicle being tampered with or to record an incident.

Captured footage is stored on a standard SD card in the trunk of the vehicle. Owners can choose to save certain captures indefinitely on the SD card or they can view or save the video files onto their personal computers.

Too bad you couldn't capture memorable events inside the car ;) Sweet setup.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20768 posts
4893 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Lol. Another "luxury" feature to lure buyers into paying for something that can be gotten far cheaper in the aftermarket. Just like the GPS. Pay huge sums to have it integrated/updated in the dash as oppose to buying one from Best Buy/Wal Mart....etc.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14734 posts
9157 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: Lol. Another "luxury" feature to lure buyers into paying for something that can be gotten far cheaper in the aftermarket. Just like the GPS. Pay huge sums to have it integrated/updated in the dash as oppose to buying one from Best Buy/Wal Mart....etc.
Hm.... It's clearly cheaper to buy factory headunits as supposed to after market, unless you are into buy garbage head units. Also, it will be cleaner and will have warranty. Soooo.... lol on you.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The CT6 is an amazing car with amazing reviews and this is pretty cool. The rear camera mirror was cool but its nice to have an integrated dash cam instead of some tacked on junk.
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sandikosh wrote: Lol. Another "luxury" feature to lure buyers into paying for something that can be gotten far cheaper in the aftermarket. Just like the GPS. Pay huge sums to have it integrated/updated in the dash as oppose to buying one from Best Buy/Wal Mart....etc.
The tacked on Walmart dash cam is more suited for a junky Corolla than a CT6.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
Some models (my car included, though I didn't get it on mine) offer a forward camera option (for park assist, lane departure warning, etc)
They're probably just using that camera and dumping feed = "Free"
Something I've said they should have done on my model years ago.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20768 posts
4893 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Fiddilixx wrote: The tacked on Walmart dash cam is more suited for a junky Corolla than a CT6.
Lol. CT6. Why give it a stupid name. CT6 sounds like City 6. A supposedly "luxury" brand with a low class name.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
aqnd wrote: Some models (my car included, though I didn't get it on mine) offer a forward camera option (for park assist, lane departure warning, etc)
They're probably just using that camera and dumping feed = "Free"
Something I've said they should have done on my model years ago.
I have a front and rear camera on my vehicle and it's a USD $500 aftermarket solution to install hardware to enable it and record while driving.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4054 posts
1393 upvotes
Edmonton
Agreed that usually these options are so expensive to add...especially say NAV on alot of cars where you have to bundle a 2K option for it, but there's probably less theft on vehicles with it built in. It's easy to smash and grab a Garmin or dash cam, but once they become factory they're not so attractive to thieves.
Oct 30, 2012
143 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
While I agree with you and use the gps on my phone and a stand alone dash cam, I recognize having in-dash versions gives better aesthetics and a better driving experience - without having to fumble with a flimsy stand holding a relatively heavy phone that vibrates during drive. Esp for GPS, android auto/carplay are really the future and I see myself getting to use the in dash unit rather than the phone display.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4751 posts
5874 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No fiddling with suction or clamp mounts or getting power off fuses or cigarette lighter - I will gladly pay for that provided they don't bundle it with other silly features like lane keeping assist or drowsy driver detection in only the top level tech packages.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11175 posts
3684 upvotes
Fiddilixx wrote: The CT6 is an amazing car with amazing reviews and this is pretty cool. The rear camera mirror was cool but its nice to have an integrated dash cam instead of some tacked on junk.
I really like the tech in the CT6. Integrated is always best.

I remember being scoffed at for paying extra for factory remote start but 8 years later it still works perfectly and never an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
vkizzle wrote: I have a front and rear camera on my vehicle and it's a USD $500 aftermarket solution to install hardware to enable it and record while driving.
Yeah, $500 aftermarket for you, after purchase.
It's "free" to the manufacturer if included in the original software specs when being designed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9682 posts
3091 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Good tech, should have been out long time ago on many cars. I hope it comes with erase button though.