• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2021 9:27 pm
[OP]
May 14, 2015
71 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

Cadillac Fairview gift card

Does anyone know if Cadillac Fairview gift cards can be used to buy other gift cards? I'm specifically interested in with buying Best Buy or Amazon gift cards. Thanks. Oh, and yes, I have contacted CF, but haven't got a reply yet.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4142 posts
2682 upvotes
Vancouver
Can’t speak about that specific mall but generally you can use mall GC at RCSS, Walmart, etc and buy whatever GC they have. It’s basically treated like prepaid credit cards.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12118 posts
15182 upvotes
Vancouver
sergiogarciaftw wrote: Does anyone know if Cadillac Fairview gift cards can be used to buy other gift cards? I'm specifically interested in with buying Best Buy or Amazon gift cards. Thanks. Oh, and yes, I have contacted CF, but haven't got a reply yet.
It depends on the specific retailer. SDM cashiers may give you a hard time about it because they've been trained "no buying gift cards with a gift card" but they don't understand the difference between an actual gift card and a CF Shop Card, which is essentially a prepaid Visa/MC.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8220 posts
1865 upvotes
I converted my CF GCs from markville today at Winners, Walmart and Best Buy. When they asked how would you like to pay, I take out my visa credit card which is on top of the GC, and then when the terminal is ready, I do the quick switch and swipe it. They will give you a dirty look, but at that point they cant cancel.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20646 posts
8136 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: I converted my CF GCs from markville today at Winners, Walmart and Best Buy. When they asked how would you like to pay, I take out my visa credit card which is on top of the GC, and then when the terminal is ready, I do the quick switch and swipe it. They will give you a dirty look, but at that point they cant cancel.
That's not "converting" ... You don't need to trick any staff into allowing you to pay, there's nothing wrong with the stores you mentioned. You can pay for items at Winners, Walmart and BestBuy at Markville Mall, you are only kidding yourself.

Next time, when they ask how are you paying, you proudly say "Mall Gift Card" = The End
(For those retailers mentioned).
Kiraly wrote: It depends on the specific retailer. SDM cashiers may give you a hard time about it because they've been trained "no buying gift cards with a gift card" but they don't understand the difference between an actual gift card and a CF Shop Card, which is essentially a prepaid Visa/MC.
Exactly. You WILL have a hard time at SDM as it's YMMV.
sergiogarciaftw wrote: Does anyone know if Cadillac Fairview gift cards can be used to buy other gift cards? I'm specifically interested in with buying Best Buy or Amazon gift cards. Thanks. Oh, and yes, I have contacted CF, but haven't got a reply yet.
You're not going to get an answer you like from CF because that's not a service they provide - the retailers provide it.

The cards are coded as prepaid mall gift cards so they will not just work anywhere, it's up to each retailer how they will accept it.
Yes, they have to accept it if they are listed as a retailer that accepts but no, they do not have to allow you to purchase other cards or merchandise beyond their own, again YMMV.
EPcjay wrote: They will give you a dirty look, but at that point they cant cancel.
Sure they can cancel, they don't have to hand over the gift cards or the receipt and cancel the transaction, as a separate transaction. You work in retail to know this right? Lol

Good way to get banned from the mall too, should they accuse you of fraud, which would be caught on video and can be reviewed by loss prevention.

Don't encourage this idiotic behaviour or better yet, don't cry on here when something bad happens or its ruined for everyone.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Oct 20, 2018
222 posts
65 upvotes
I’ve had no issues with using CF gift card to convert it to apple store gift card at the store - sales people have never given me issues anytime
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12118 posts
15182 upvotes
Vancouver
DaVibe wrote: Sure they can cancel, they don't have to hand over the gift cards or the receipt and cancel the transaction, as a separate transaction. You work in retail to know this right? Lol

Good way to get banned from the mall too, should they accuse you of fraud, which would be caught on video and can be reviewed by loss prevention.

Don't encourage this idiotic behaviour or better yet, don't cry on here when something bad happens or its ruined for everyone.
I concealed (camouflaged actually) my mall gift card when buying a prepaid Visa at SDM. When the cashier saw me swipe she immediately reached over to the pin pad and pressed the red cancel button a bunch of times. It didn’t work. APPROVED. She handed over my activated prepaid Visa without making eye contact.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2201 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I concealed (camouflaged actually) my mall gift card when buying a prepaid Visa at SDM. When the cashier saw me swipe she immediately reached over to the pin pad and pressed the red cancel button a bunch of times. It didn’t work. APPROVED. She handed over my activated prepaid Visa without making eye contact.
Good job! Would you try again? Is that Markville SDM?
Tbh legitimately CF SHOP card is a prepaid visa so I don’t understand why SDM make such a big deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2201 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
superkule wrote: I’ve had no issues with using CF gift card to convert it to apple store gift card at the store - sales people have never given me issues anytime
Done that as well without any problem last year and this year at apple markville.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12118 posts
15182 upvotes
Vancouver
spy cl wrote: Good job! Would you try again? Is that Markville SDM?
Tbh legitimately CF SHOP card is a prepaid visa so I don’t understand why SDM make such a big deal.
No it was at Metrotown. Ivanhoé Cambridge mall card (prepaid Amex) not CF. And yes, I’d try it again.

Read all about my epic journey here:

Step 1 american-express-shopping-ca-gift-card- ... #p32863175
Step 2 american-express-shopping-ca-gift-card- ... #p32868191
Step 3 american-express-shopping-ca-gift-card- ... #p32868432
Last edited by Kiraly on Sep 10th, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2201 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Any store other than SDM carry Amazon gift card that is in Markville or locate inside Any CF mall??

I know Walmart doesn’t carry Amazon gift card, how about other stores?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3801 posts
9956 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Since RFD forum members can have different settings for number of posts per page displayed (5 to 40), the links you've provided might not work for some (didn't for me). The following format directs one to the specific post, regardless of the user's Thread Display Option setting:

Step 1: viewtopic.php?p=32863175

Step 2: viewtopic.php?p=32868191

Step 3: viewtopic.php?p=32868432

Things I've learned on RFD (thanks again to @bizee-bee for the direct posting link format knowledge). :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8220 posts
1865 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: No it was at Metrotown. Ivanhoé Cambridge mall card (prepaid Amex) not CF. And yes, I’d try it again.

Read all about my epic journey here:

Step 1 american-express-shopping-ca-gift-card- ... #p32863175
Step 2 american-express-shopping-ca-gift-card- ... #p32868191
Step 3 american-express-shopping-ca-gift-card- ... #p32868432
damm.

I gotta do that the next time Pickering or Ivanhoe offers gift card discounts